What to do against e3?

What to do against e3?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
31 Jan 06

Originally posted by RahimK
Laugh at it! What a waste. Take control of the center. I would play 1...e5

If you play 1...d5 then he can just transpose with 2.d4 into a sort of queen pawn game.
if you like the english you can play 1.e3 followed by 2.c4 regardless of e4 or d5 response and can easilly transpose into a queens pawn game ..... so maybe playing your favorite defense against d4 might make sense ...g6 i think is a real sensible response and then tackle the center later in the game

B

Moves
01 Feb 06

e4

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
01 Feb 06

Originally posted by Balla88
e4
e1

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
01 Feb 06

He's playing a mindgame. d5, e5 or g6 are your primary options. I'd go for the first - you're contesting directly for the centre. Don't mess about, he's given you a tempi. Play correct and solid positional chess and don't get involved in his shenanigans. You know the principles, so apply them. Let him make the bad moves.

G

Moves
01 Feb 06

or try 1 ... Nf6 and wait to see what your opponent does next. In his "Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy" Jeremy Silman looks at the argument that black has the advantage due to better information after every move. Its a debating point rather than a serious arguement but this is one where a wait and see move must be the right option.

Having said that Nf6 is my default response as black to anything I don't recognise as a KID setup is fairly solid against most openings.

Moves
01 Feb 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
What do you guys play against e3, what do you think is the best respone? Right now, I'm debating between c5 and g6.
you can either play for the center by pushing your center pawns, or not commit and play the g6 stuff. no best move, it is just a matter of taste and style.