Queen Capture notify or any such thing as Queen...

Queen Capture notify or any such thing as Queen...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
14 Mar 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
My father complained that I didn't say "gardez la dame" when I attacked his queen and he didn't see it... That didn't keep me from taking it. 😛
Did he complain when you didn't say "Gardez your rook?" or knight or even "Gardez your pion"?

N

The sky

Moves
15 Mar 08

Originally posted by Green Paladin
Its a sad day when you beat your father at chess.
Why? He hadn't played for decades, so it wasn't really surprising.

N

The sky

Moves
15 Mar 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Did he complain when you didn't say "Gardez your rook?" or knight or even "Gardez your pion"?
I don't think there has ever been a tradition for that...

F

Moves
15 Mar 08

I don't think there has ever been a tradition for that...
I had a friend that I always warned him when I was going to take a piece from him. He couldn't always able to protect it, but he learned a lot from it.

In a café in Paris, I stumbled over some people having a good game of chess. They had somewhat different rules of chess, probably not sanctionned by FIDE. Instead of just check the king you have to say "Cheque au roi". And when you threattened the queen, you hade to say "Cheque à la dame". If you forgot it, then you couldnt take the queen, and the king could safely stay where it were.
They also have the rule that in the first move, you could move one pawn two steps (as we can usually do), *or* move two pawns one step each (which was out of the ordinary, I'd say).
I never new what other rules applied, I didn't know even if I could do 'en passant' or not.
Well, we had fun...

K

Moves
16 Mar 08

i wish people would start warning me...

:'(

F

Moves
17 Mar 08

My father complained that I didn't say "gardez la dame" when I attacked his queen and he didn't see it... That didn't keep me from taking it. 😛
According to my father, it was "grand prix" that I was supposed to say.

T

Moves
17 Mar 08

hey colonel dax. did you get your name from "Paths of Glory"? Great Kubrick film.