PAWN RIOT VS The Forum Move 2

PAWN RIOT VS The Forum Move 2

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
10 Oct 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
close the voting now Paul,before its too late, as its a draw, you get the deciding vote and we play 2...Nc6, heading for accelerated dragon and none of those other woosy variations, since no one had the bravery to play the hyper accelerated dragon (2..g6!!) , a variation for men!
🙂

I will close after 48 hours of post one on this thread

or

the first move to 30 votes.

🙂

p

Moves
10 Oct 08
1 edit

In the event of a tie, we will have a vote off. The first move to twenty wins in that case. 🙂

Skull Disco, Jr.

Moves
10 Oct 08

B. 2. ... Nc6

p

Moves
10 Oct 08

A. 2. ... d6 12 votes
B. 2. ... Nc6 13 votes
C. 2. ... e6 7 votes
D. 2. ... a6
E. 2. ... g6
F. 2. ... Nf6 1 vote
G. 2. ... b6
H. 2. ... h5 1 vote

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
10 Oct 08
1 edit

Advantages/disadvantages of various opening possibilities in any opening are based on intentions of aiming for active versus static structures.

I much prefer playing for positions has maximum potential for attack. However, some of my favorite games of study are those where Black had transformed seemingly static positions into active ones and games where Black has had many possibilities for pawn breaks and more active defense, opts for more static lines, and defends heroically. Although one would find that in many of such games white had some more taxing resources at various points in such games.

Anyway, at this point move choice is really a matter of preference. I highly value solid pawn structure and do not like set pawn structures – I like keep pawn break options open so I don’t like Sveshnikov and some Najdorf lines with e5. :-) But Sveshnikov and Najdorf lines can be sharp and lead to quick equality and good results for Black! These lines are particularly for the theoretically astute and good endgame player I think, which I am not. I do not like dealing with the Maroczy bind too much either.

To play for advantage, I think 2...d6 best. I would rate 2…Nc6 second best.

The issue with some of the lines stemming from …d6 is a Hedgehog position – that is, with Black pawns on a6, b6, d6, e6 – may be forced upon Black particularly if white plays an early a4. Although both sides have a great deal of flexibility in such positions, and Black’s position is very solid such positions involve much positional care and maneuvering to maintain the balance. This requires great positional understanding as well as knowledge as when it is advisable to make pawn breaks. Garry Kasparov was a great proponent of the Hedgehog system.
If 2...Nc6 is played, Black does not need to worry about playing a Hedgehog. :-)

Advantage of 2…e6 is that Black can get in a quick d5 in many lines and if so, Black can complete development without difficulty. Disadvantage is that Keres line arises after d4 cd Nxd Nf6 Nc3 d6 g4 and I think it difficult to find promising active defense for Black in many lines [ I have not found any in my analysis of the line! ] plus I think Perenyi lines favor White. Keres line can be avoided but at the cost that white could go for a Maroczy bind setup [ although I do not think aiming for Maroczy bind white’s best plan in most instances] , which leads to more slow and static play for some time [ Hedgehog again! ] .

2…Nc6 3. Bb5 [ or Bb5 later after central pawn exchange ] I think is drawish although Bb5 is unlikely and not objectively best. There is a great deal of flexibility with this move as well.

I’ll follow the PAWN RIOT - RHP game but I prefer to abstain from voting at this point since I will not have much time to follow the game in future; also I just do not want to really steer the game down one course or another right now [ although maybe I have influenced the course just that a bit ].

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
10 Oct 08

Regarding Hedgehog:

Here is a very interesting Hedgehog game with analysis ; Karpov-Kasparov ’85; this game does not make me love some of the complexity of Hedgehog. :-)

http://www.queensac.com/chessblog/bookgames/polugaevsky/kasparov1985.htm

Notable game in Hedgehog, transformation of passive position to dynamic one, brilliant exchange sac:

Karpov- Ulf A 0-1 (1975)
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1019693

There are so many known and interesting Sveshnikov [ generally derives from some 2…Nc6 lines I think ] and Najdorf wins so I will not post them now.

p

Moves
10 Oct 08
1 edit

Karpov- Ulf A 0-1 (1975)

I've seem that game before. I think the book was Contenders For The Crown. It really is a great game.

I enjoyed the Karpov-Kasparov game as well. There is a nice Hedgehog discussion in one of my opening books. I think it is Winning With The Kan.

It is a very nice system.

There is a game Fischer-Andersson that starts 1.b3.
It ends up being a hedgehog reversed.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1019452

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
10 Oct 08

Originally posted by Yuga
Advantages/disadvantages of various opening possibilities in any opening are based on intentions of aiming for active versus static structures.

I much prefer playing for positions has maximum potential for attack. However, some of my favorite games of study are those where Black had transformed seemingly static positions into active ones and games where Bla ...[text shortened]... one course or another right now [ although maybe I have influenced the course just that a bit ].
Keres Attack is not that dangerous, the Black can draw easily most of times; regarding the line that worries you, you may check Belyavsky-Ghinda Bucharest 1-0, Ljubojevic-Timman Hilversum 1987 and Belyavsky-Timman Candidates 1985;

S

Dublin

Moves
10 Oct 08

2... d6

p

Moves
10 Oct 08
1 edit

In case you haven't noticed, black beetle has Scheveningen deep in his soul. 🙂

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
10 Oct 08
1 edit

Yes, I've seen the Fischer - Ulf A game before (their only game against each other unfortunately) . Ulf A is one of my favorite players, though his play generally lacks energy now though he still plays endgames magnificently.

The point of my previous point is that if ...d6 is played, Hedgehog is a real possibility, not so easy to avoid should white play an early a4, I think [ ? ] , unless Black opts to plays Dragon.

^^Checking Keres lines again and the above games now; I know Black can draw easily but I don't know lines which give Black real possibility for great counterplay given white plays specific lines. I do like Schevinengen (forgive spelling) lines except not yet particularly facing Keres.

p

Moves
10 Oct 08

A. 2. ... d6 13 votes
B. 2. ... Nc6 13 votes
C. 2. ... e6 7 votes
D. 2. ... a6
E. 2. ... g6
F. 2. ... Nf6 1 vote
G. 2. ... b6
H. 2. ... h5 1 vote

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
10 Oct 08

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
In case you haven't noticed, black beetle has Scheveningen deep in his soul. 🙂
Love it; I 'm to old for new tricks
😵

p

Moves
10 Oct 08

Originally posted by Yuga
Yes, I've seen the Fischer - Ulf A game before (their only game against each other unfortunately) . Ulf A is one of my favorite players, though his play generally lacks energy now though he still plays endgames magnificently.

The point of my previous point is that if ...d6 is played, Hedgehog is a real possibility, not so easy to avoid should white play an early a4, I think [ ? ] , unless Black opts to plays Dragon.
Yes, but is the group as a whole ready for a game where black sits back patiently move after move hoping for a d5 or b5 pawn break?

It can be rather passive.

Not that I'm knocking the hedgehog. As I said, I have studied it and like it. If I'm not mistaken, Walter Browne is nearly unbeatable with the system.

Moves
10 Oct 08

d6