1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Dec '21 20:34
    @contenchess said
    Agreed.

Many openings are playable but we keep seeing the same boring openings at the world championship.
    I think they choose openings that can be drawn with ease.
    The openings I suggested usually end up with a winner and a loser.

Many other openings are playable too.
    I just now saw this post.

"Gambits don't work against the top players." Hikaru Nakamura

It takes a certain kind of personality to play openings of dubious soundness against the highest level defensive play.

It seemed like Vachier-LaGrave (sp?) was closest to this.
  2. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    08 Dec '21 20:41
    @BigDogg

A gambit is bad but there are plenty of more interesting openings and they are definitely playable.
    These guys play to "not lose" instead of play to win.

Look at today for example...
    Magnus is up 3-0 and Nepo must win.
    Do we see an interesting game? Nope.
    A boring Petroff Defense.

Maybe in the future they will be told what opening has to be played for that game.
    Then they switch colors so they have an equal chance.

How can you prepare when you don't know what openings are going to be selected?

Just an idea but it would be way more interesting 🤔
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Dec '21 06:39
    @contenchess said
    @BigDogg

A gambit is bad but there are plenty of more interesting openings and they are definitely playable.
    These guys play to "not lose" instead of play to win.

Look at today for example...
    Magnus is up 3-0 and Nepo must win.
    Do we see an interesting game? Nope.
    A boring Petroff Defense.

Maybe in the future they will be told what opening has to be played f ...[text shortened]... know what openings are going to be selected?

Just an idea but it would be way more interesting 🤔
    If only there was a way to shuffle the starting positions of the pieces such that theory would be too hard to memorize... 😉
  4. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    09 Dec '21 12:13
    @Contenchess

Ok, nice idea so 2 games on the same day?

How many movements will be "set-up" for the initial position?

I think this idea is vey interesting because the game is not altered

Something similar is possible in RHP thematic tournaments
  5. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    09 Dec '21 12:31
    @bigdogg said
    If only there was a way to shuffle the starting positions of the pieces such that theory would be too hard to memorize... 😉
    No need for that at all.

#1. 99% of chess players are not at the "draw every game" level like the elites.

#2. Openings are selected based on a personal choice which has a connection to our personality and removing that would make the start of the game very boring because it would be a random unknown position. We connect to familiarity not chaos.

#3. Studying would be less interesting. Of course tactics/strategy/endgames are important to study but when that's all you get to study it just becomes work.
    Removing openings by implementing a random position at the start would eliminate all opening literature and that means losing over 50% of revenue for chess publishers.

#4. It has a dumb name.
    Fischer Random Chess?
    That is the stupidest sounding name ever.
    Even Chess960 sounds dumb.
    Why not Neo-Chess?
  6. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    09 Dec '21 12:401 edit
    @schlecter said
    @Contenchess

Ok, nice idea so 2 games on the same day?

How many movements will be "set-up" for the initial position?

I think this idea is vey interesting because the game is not altered

Something similar is possible in RHP thematic tournaments
    Thematic tournaments is basically what I am suggesting but the players have no idea what openings will be implemented until they sit down to play so preparing and memorization is pointless.
    We still get to see real chess and the players are forced to play all different openings which is more interesting.

Most openings are reached within 2 or 3 moves 🤔 so it would still be the start of the game with plenty of room for the player to create something.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '21 11:59
    @contenchess said
    I think it will be Giri, Liren or Firouzja. 🤔
    I can imagine Giri grinding nine draws against Carlsen plus a single win, but unfortunately I can't imagine him (right now) getting through the Candidates.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Dec '21 16:22
    Much as in the Caruana match, a single Carlsen victory seemed to break the opponent. They go down that first game and then start trying too hard to win.
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Dec '21 20:512 edits
    @bigdogg said
    Much as in the Caruana match, a single Carlsen victory seemed to break the opponent. They go down that first game and then start trying too hard to win.
    a single Carlsen victory seemed to break the opponent.

Understandable, considering how much effort and skill it takes to defeat Carlsen just one time, and get back to even score.
  10. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    12 Dec '21 01:10
    Another WC win and I'm saying Magnus is the 🐐 GOAT 🤔
  11. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    12 Dec '21 10:06
    @bigdogg said
    That's a possibility but I think it's more that the stakes are too high to lose.
    You see it is a lot of professional sport.Teams lose a game and it just gets worse and worse.Losing and winning becomes a habit.It's a confidence thing.
    I think one of the troubles with chess is the advisers and back up teams.Same in professional sport.More back room staff than players!
    My solution would be to lock the 2 players away from any back room staff and the internet and just let them play.You could still have t.v coverage and post match analysis but on no account let anyone talk to the players during the matches.
    THEN you would see who is the best player

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree