How common is cheating?

How common is cheating?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
09 Mar 22
1 edit

Just looking for opinions here. I've been playing 30 min. OTB games on another site for over a year now and was wondering about a few things:

1. Is it possible some of my losses were a result of someone cheating?

2. How common is cheating in online OTB events?

Please don't misunderstand - I'm reasonably pleased with my progress, but some of these 1400 folks seem to be playing at the 1900 level.

Contentious

Moves
09 Mar 22
1 edit

@mchill

I'd say about 1 percent.

In 300 rapid games I have gotten 3 different messages from that site telling me my opponent cheated.
I never report anyone because it's just online chess for fun but that site is very active in stopping the cheaters, which I don't think is a big problem.

1 percent. Or less will cheat.

I don't know about online USCF games 🤔
Probably higher because you are actually playing for something.

Mister Why

San Carlos, CA

Moves
09 Mar 22
1 edit

It occurs to me that if these 1400 players play at the 1900 level for any length of time, they will have a 1900 rating. My first guess would be to chalk up the discrepancy to people having good and bad days.

Having said that, people do occasionally cheat. But I would still expect their ratings to reflect their performance they achieve while cheating.

Contentious

Moves
09 Mar 22

@byedidia

I agree.
Good and Bad days do happen and if your opponent is having a good day and you are having a bad day it can seem like they are using assistance but most likely they are not.

G

Moves
09 Mar 22

I get this message about once every two weeks, so about every 30 games

We have detected that one or more of your recent opponents has violated our Fair Play Policy. As compensation for potentially unfair rating losses, we adjusted your following ratings:

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
11 Mar 22
1 edit

@contenchess said
@byedidia

I agree.
Good and Bad days do happen and if your opponent is having a good day and you are having a bad day it can seem like they are using assistance but most likely they are not.
Thanks, that seems pretty accurate. Been focusing too much on tactics exercises and not enough rated games w/ analysis. No substitute for the rough and tumble of competition.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
11 Mar 22

Cheating in any competition is always a lot more likely if reward is involved,usually financial both directly or indirectly.
Cheating on a site such as this is completely pointless in my opinion but it happens apparently.It must be a status thing or maybe when someone has lost numerous times against one opponent ,revenge could be a factor.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
21 Mar 22
3 edits

@mchill said
Just looking for opinions here. I've been playing 30 min. OTB games on another site for over a year now and was wondering about a few things:

Please don't misunderstand - I'm reasonably pleased with my progress, but some of these 1400 folks seem to be playing at the 1900 level.
Yes.
Fairly common. Several people have been removed from this site due to cheating; however, from what I have seen, that was several years ago; and, they do not look into cheating near as much as they use to on this site; from what I have noticed anyhow. Cheating is more common in Clan games; and, some tournament games.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
08 Apr 22

Once is too f@#&&** much 😠

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
13 Apr 22

@mchill If I had a dollar for every time someone on the site started a thread on cheating, the only thing I would be tempted to cheat on would be my taxes.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
14 Apr 22

@paul-leggett said
@mchill If I had a dollar for every time someone on the site started a thread on cheating, the only thing I would be tempted to cheat on would be my taxes.
If you include timeout,rating and vacation query threads,you could probably afford a luxury yacht.

Moves
14 Apr 22

Cheating on this site must be rampant, because I am so much better than my rating here.