'Dear Chess World'

'Dear Chess World'

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
29 Sep 22
4 edits

@daodejing said
There was no cheating here OTB
That could very well be. I'm not convinced there's any damning evidence against Hans. My only point is that Magnus does have valid reasons for his beliefs. He's lost to players even lower-rated than Hans and less known, yet he has never previously accused anyone of cheating.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hans simply outplayed Magnus; but it also wouldn't surprise me (based on the circumstances concerning Hans) if something dishonest happened.

Also, keep in mind that there was suspicion of a leak, which would also be cheating. So even if Hans didn't use an engine, obtaining info on Magnus' preparation without Magnus' consent would still be unethical. Evidence this may be the case is by Hans stating he prepared for an opening Magnus only used twice in his entire career, and at least one of those were a blitz game.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/20/carlsen-v-niemann-the-cheating-row-that-is-rocking-chess-explained

"Niemann claimed that “by some ridiculous miracle” he had guessed what his opponent’s unusual opening would be and prepared for it. "

Yes. It would be quite the "ridiculous miracle" to correctly guess Magnus would use a rare opening.
That's in addition to Hans being caught cheating twice before (which he admitted to) and Neiman's coach was also banned from the same site for cheating.

But just to reiterate: I agree there is currently no legitimate evidence against Hans.

Moves
30 Sep 22

Kasparov: