1. e4
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 07:52
    So finally, after three weeks, out comes a statement titled 'Dear Chess World'
    from Magnus. and in the second paragraph we read ;

"I want to continue to play chess at the highest level in the best events."

The 'Dear Chess World' is right behind you on that one Magnus, however...

A match for the world title is the highest level and the tournaments qualifying
    to take part in the title match are right up there amongst the best events.
    And yet he, who wants to play chess at the highest level, has walked away from
    defending his world title because he was bored defending it.
    EH?

How come all our chess world champions eventually go mad?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 07:56
    @greenpawn34 said

Has probably to do with the fine line separating genius from madman...

In fact I think that being at the very top of anything for prolonged time creates the impression of being kind of omnipotent in that. Being reminded of being "just another guy" is very hard indeed.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 13:093 edits
    @greenpawn34 said

A match for the world title is the highest level and the tournaments qualifyi ...[text shortened]... because he was bored defending it.
    EH?

Mr. Carlsen may not be as mad as some would think. Money is flowing into the chess world now, allowing for ever larger prize funds. Mr. Carlsen won the Julius Baer Generation Cup on Sunday, needing just two games vs. GM Arjun Erigaisi. - Perhaps Mr. Carlsen only wants to compete in tournaments rather than defend a title he knows he'll eventually lose.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 15:20
    @greenpawn34 said

A match for the world title is the highest level and the tournaments qualifyi ...[text shortened]... because he was bored defending it.
    EH?

Maybe he needs the variety of opponent.

12 draws against Fabi would make anyone go mad. 😛
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 15:33
    Magnus is a rich male-model voted as one of the world's sexiest men by Cosmopolitan magazine. I think all the tail he's missing out on by continuing to play chess is driving him nuts.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 16:27
    @vivify said
    Magnus is a rich male-model voted as one of the world's sexiest men by Cosmopolitan magazine. I think all the tail he's missing out on by continuing to play chess is driving him nuts.
    Missing out?! You saying chess groupies isn't a thing?

Sheesh. There goes any motivation to improve.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 17:52
    @vivify said
    Thirsty, thirsty...
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 19:03
    @bigdogg said
    Missing out?! You saying chess groupies isn't a thing?
    I remember those days in high school when all the jocks were jealous of the chess players swimming in hot girls.
  9. Joined
    28 Sep '22
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 22:40
    I would gladly go insane for a small run as the World Champion.
  10. Joined
    28 Sep '22
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 22:45
    I would only play in the World Championship.

Defending my title at least 3 times before I went crazy.
  11. Joined
    28 Sep '22
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 22:49
    8 to 10 years as King is worth going mad.
  12. Joined
    04 Sep '22
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 13:29
    Like the always fair Daniel King, I see no evidence of a career-destroying charge. Injured vanity, egocentrism, no role model.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 15:17
    Magnus once lost to a 2300 rated 16 year old and didn't complain. Cleary, "ego" didn't factor into his decision against a self-confessed cheater whose coach was also caught cheating.
  14. Joined
    04 Sep '22
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 16:323 edits
    @vivify
    Ok, freedom of opinion for all of us! :-)
    There was no cheating here OTB, as all the tests by Experts and Computer show - Magnus played several weak moves and simply lost. After the defeat, he then accused without any evidence - usually a serious matter that Hans can take legal action against and could sue for a substantial sum because of career damage. Magnus has already lost a lot of reputation because of this, also not doing chess any favors in the media. Mature personalities like Anand would lose gracefully and win again next time. :-)
    Kasparov, with whom I had the pleasure of coming into personal contacts a long time ago, obviously shares my opinion:
    Talking about the happenings related to the Carlsen – Niemann case and the game in which Niemann defeated Carlsen at the Sinquefield Cup, Kasparov said: “I was in Saint Louis. I spoke to people who were involved directly in this case. I don’t see an evidence that could be convincing... I understand his frustration, but leaving the tournament is unacceptable. Even if he had proof, but there was no proof, there is zero evidence (of cheating) in that specific game. It was really bad for chess. It was bad for Saint Louis. This was one of the most important tournaments, if not the most important tournament, in the world of chess. And I think that his behavior was unacceptable“.
    https://www.chessdom.com/garry-kasparov-carlsens-behavior-was-unacceptable/
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 17:54
    @vodka said
    I would gladly go insane for a small run as the World Champion.
    Whose sock-puppet are you, now?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree