1. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    22 Jun '16 06:28
    There can be many reasons for a blunder: inattention, fixations, mouse slip, sticky touch screens but this one? Wrong rook five perhaps?

Following my poor play with a Centre Counter Defence Andersson variation we arrive at the following position. Black has a weak kingside, doubled pawns, a vulnerable bishop and an undeveloped rook. One would think a swift kick at any of these weaknesses would bring about quick victory, however...

2. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    22 Jun '16 07:28
    Stockfish wants to play Rh5 in that position.
    Ra5 blunders a rook!!
    Just moved the rook the wrong way.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Jun '16 14:55
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    There can be many reasons for a blunder: inattention, fixations, mouse slip, sticky touch screens but this one? Wrong rook five perhaps?

Following my poor play with a Centre Counter Defence Andersson variation we arrive at the following position. Black has a weak kingside, doubled pawns, a vulnerable bishop and an undeveloped rook. One would think a swift ...[text shortened]... P/2K1R3 w - - 4 15"]
    1. Ra5 Qxa5 {Yum} 2. Qd2 Rad8 {Here's my extra rook! White resigns} [/pgn]
    If you take with the knight he can fork your queen and bishop on d5 to get his knight onto an awkward square as he gets the bishop with check. So maybe he was trying to sac the exchange and forgot your queen could take (or at least that the knight fork after the capture doesn't work).
  4. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '16 15:31
    I bet he had the board flipped when he had the position on his computer. "OK, it says rook all the way to the left" So that's what he played. Probably didn't even notice the mistake until the next time he input the position.
  5. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    22 Jun '16 21:49
    Would a real chess player at his "level" ever make this kind of mistake?

I've played when drunk sometimes, but still know the difference between a-file and h-file!
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    22 Jun '16 22:44
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Would a real chess player at his "level" ever make this kind of mistake?

I've played when drunk sometimes, but still know the difference between a-file and h-file!
    It happens. I remember when Karpov once hung a piece to Christiansen in the opening and thinking "Wow, it happens to all of us."

I recently had a game where I recaptured with the wrong piece without even realizing it and hung my queen. My opponent, who was seeing the same things I was seeing, missed my mistake and resigned! Stuff happens.
  7. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 00:29
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    It happens. I remember when Karpov once hung a piece to Christiansen in the opening and thinking "Wow, it happens to all of us."

I recently had a game where I recaptured with the wrong piece without even realizing it and hung my queen. My opponent, who was seeing the same things I was seeing, missed my mistake and resigned! Stuff happens.
    Leaving pieces hanging, sure, but confusing Ra5 with Rh5??
    In the context of the game, they're not even in the same area code!
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 01:10

Following my poor play with a Centre Counter Defence Andersson variation we arrive at the following position. Black has a weak kingside, doubled pawns, a vulnerable bishop and an undeveloped rook. One would think a swift ...[text shortened]... P/2K1R3 w - - 4 15"]
    Nice. Way to show him up.

Ra5 is a move that can only be made by a person who has no clue whatsoever how to play a decent game of chess.

Even most engine cheats would realize the machine could not possibly be suggesting such a move, because they usually have some playing ability; just not as much as they'd like.

But this loser barely knows the moves.

He deserves every ounce of scorn he gets for it!
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 19:14
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Nice. Way to show him up.

Ra5 is a move that can only be made by a person who has no clue whatsoever how to play a decent game of chess.

Even most engine cheats would realize the machine could not possibly be suggesting such a move, because they usually have some playing ability; just not as much as they'd like.

But this loser barely knows the moves.

He deserves every ounce of scorn he gets for it!
    I'm on his do not call list. I wonder how many other folks are banned from PMing him also?
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 19:321 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I'm on his do not call list. I wonder how many other folks are banned from PMing him also?
    That question loses much of its interest if one does a quick search on his forum posts.

Edit: or it would have, if the &#($(! mods hadn't deleted them all. Thanks, mods. Some of us prefer advanced warning when encountering lunatics! 😠
  11. Joined
    21 Aug '15
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 23:02
    His blunder could have been much worse: 1. Rd8, which allows 4 pieces to take it instead of 2. Give him some credit.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 12:091 edit

Wouldn't white still have an attack with Q-h6 followed by rook luft over to that side with R-e4 and R-g4 or h4? The knight would protect against black Q-g5+ forcing queen swap.
  13. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 13:44

He was on Twelve losses for a very long time and all of a sudden,he has lost six times in last couple of months. I noticed one of his lost games recently were he hung his queen. Does anyone thing he is losing on purpose to take the pressure off his super human rating?
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 14:57
    Originally posted by Steve45
    He was on Twelve losses for a very long time and all of a sudden,he has lost six times in last couple of months. I noticed one of his lost games recently were he hung his queen. Does anyone thing he is losing on purpose to take the pressure off his super human rating?
    He could just as easily offer draws with less fanfare and drama. Speculating evil motives from such data is a reach, and does justice to no one.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 15:06
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    He could just as easily offer draws with less fanfare and drama. Speculating evil motives from such data is a reach, and does justice to no one.
    It's more likely he just turned off the engine for a few days and was playing like he would OTB.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree