Reinstate Thumbs-up/Thumbs-down Limits

Reinstate Thumbs-up/Thumbs-down Limits

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
29 Sep 11
1 edit

Why exactly were limits abolished, again? Surely a limit of 30-50/month would be sufficient and would still prevent certain users from giving thumbs-down to every single post they disagreed with (see the Debates Forum)?

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
29 Sep 11

'Rec' was fine, if you agree or disagree then you can comment, we should be encouraging POSTERS to comment on a forum, not those that we can do without, the 'idle' thumbs up or thumbs down merchants...get rid of them..

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
30 Sep 11

Originally posted by wittywonka
Why exactly were limits abolished, again? Surely a limit of 30-50/month would be sufficient and would still prevent certain users from giving thumbs-down to [b]every single post they disagreed with (see the Debates Forum)?[/b]
Who really cares? If a post has 5 thumbs up does it make it a good post or just a post where the writers bum chums give him/her a thumbs up?

Same goes for a post with 5 thumbs down.

The only thing that matters is the content of the post not whether is has been thumbed or not.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
06 Oct 11

Originally posted by adramforall
Who really cares? If a post has 5 thumbs up does it make it a good post or just a post where the writers bum chums give him/her a thumbs up?

Same goes for a post with 5 thumbs down.

The only thing that matters is the content of the post not whether is has been thumbed or not.
1) It's still annoying, whether or not it is relevant.

2) It takes away from the purpose of a forum. If you like a person's post, then you should engage the discussion and explain why. If you don't like a person's post, then you should engage the discussion and explain why not.

Moves
07 Oct 11

2) It takes away from the purpose of a forum. If you like a person's post, then you should engage the discussion and explain why. If you don't like a person's post, then you should engage the discussion and explain why not.
That is an argument - and not an incogent one - against forum ratings per se, not an argument for limiting their number.

Richard

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
07 Oct 11

1) It's still annoying, whether or not it is relevant.

Everyone's purpose for participating in the various fora may not be the same as yours.

Are you suggesting that your rationale is more important than theirs?

There are options of not going to the fora if it annoys you too badly.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
12 Oct 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
That is an argument - and not an incogent one - against forum ratings per se, not an argument for limiting their number.

Richard
I'll grant that every now and then a person may not have a substantive contribution--or may even have a simpler reason, such as not having enough time--to reply to the post directly. But I think that implicit trust that was assumed would accompany the elimination of ratings limits has been abused.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
12 Oct 11

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Everyone's purpose for participating in the various fora may not be the same as yours.
Such as?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
13 Oct 11
1 edit

Such as?
Ignore him, everyone's purpose for posting in these forums is exactly the same as yours.

(sips water)

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
14 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Ignore him, everyone's purpose for posting in these forums is exactly the same as yours.

(sips water)
By all means, shatter my ignorance. Please.

If you are "posting in these forums," what possible purpose could you have other than to initiate or contribute to a discussion?

Moves
16 Oct 11

If you are "posting in these forums," what possible purpose could you have other than to initiate or contribute to a discussion?
Depends on the forum and the thread. In some cases, I just enjoy myself having a chat. In this forum specifically, I'm here to consider, and then agree, disagree, or be neutral on, Site Ideas which come from other people. (I have some of my own, but they're trivial.)

Richard

Moves
16 Oct 11

Can i get a T there Bob.

I'd like an R there Bob

Give me a O there Bob

Me wants a L there Bob

And a final L there Bob