Rusty's guide to REAL LIFE.

Rusty's guide to REAL LIFE.

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Dec 08

Originally posted by Phlabibit
boy's problem. You should use proper grammar when talking with a google search cut-n-paste doctor. Suz took the time to search the web for a definition, least you could do is search the web for proper grammar use.

P-
So it was cut-and-paste. What's your f---ing point?

It was a forum post. I was hardly going to take the time to formulate a definition out of my head and then get slammed if it happened to have an error. I'm not writing a research paper here. I already got slammed by someone taking offense at the definition. Go figure.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
04 Dec 08

Originally posted by Suzianne

It was a forum post. I was hardly going to take the time to formulate a definition out of my head and then get slammed if it happened to have an error. I'm not writing a research paper here. I already got slammed by someone taking offense at the definition. Go figure.
I hope you answered them better than you did me... I'm just joking around but some might be offended by throwing the word autistic around as an insult.

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
04 Dec 08

I hope you answered them better than you did me... I'm just joking around but some might be offended by throwing the word autistic around as an insult.

P-
People MIGHT get offended by alot of things that get said on this site. If you really care do something about it...otherwise just keep stirring the pot.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
04 Dec 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Red Night
People MIGHT get offended by alot of things that get said on this site. If you really care do something about it...otherwise just keep stirring the pot.
Number of alerts right now is 0.

I am not to decide what is removed based on my ideas of insults... since my idea is different than yours, different than Rusty's, even different than Crowley's.

But if someone wants to call someone autistic and cut and paste 'a description' as now has been pointed out, I'll call them on it.

I'm off for the night, so if anything pops up someone else is going to need to field it.

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
04 Dec 08
1 edit

I am not to decide what is removed based on my ideas of insults... since my idea is different than yours, different than Rusty's, even different than Crowley's.

But if someone wants to call someone autistic and cut and paste 'a description' as now has been pointed out, I'll call them on it.

I'm off for the night, so if anything pops up someone else is going to need to field it.

P-
So, you chose door #2...just keep stirring the pot?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Dec 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
It's not a definition, it's a short description that is necessarily rather vague and incomplete (e.g. "problems with social contact" could be a lot of different things, and only some of them are typical for autism) and unnecessarily incorrect ("problems with intelligence" are not part of the diagnostic criteria; many autistic people score within the normal r ...[text shortened]... ned by autism. If that's the case, I suggest you go and meet some real autistic people.
I will listen to your criticism of my posts when you can back up half the crap you say in this forum. I'll start being precise when I start getting a grade for posting here and when you become my instructor.

I daresay no one here has even heard of the DSM-IV. But it sounds good to whip that out of your back pocket. I wasn't aware that I had to meet your oh-so-professional forum criteria. My definition was inexact, I'm not denying that. It is more than adequate for this forum, however. Last I checked, this forum is not an official vehicle of the APA or the ABPP. I wasn't presenting a paper before the APA, I was replying to someone in an internet forum who has been "insulting and misportraying" ME for years now, without surcease. There's no need to go into inexhaustible detail here for one nitpicker, either. If you think I was seriously trying to diagnose him, well, I'm not sure how I can help you.

By the way, since you asked, AS and HFA do share many commonalities, including normal intellectual development, as you noted, although they are only a subset of the full ASD picture and an even smaller part of the entire PDD 'umbrella' of disorders. To paint all people with autism into the AS corner is as big a mistake as oversimplifying, which is what I did. PDDs were only added to the DSM-IV in 1994 and much work needs to be done in this area to solidify industry definitions and criteria. And no, I didn't attend the latest APA diagnostic conference on Autism and Other PDDs held last February in Sacremento, I was in Mexico at the time.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Dec 08

P-
Wow, you're as stupid as Rags if you think I was actually trying to insult him by calling him autistic. I was merely drawing a correlation between a definition and his forum behavior.

As you say, it was a joke. Crucify me already.

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
04 Dec 08

I daresay no one here has even heard of the DSM-IV. But it sounds good to whip that out of your back pocket.
Any student of psychology knows what the DSM is. I have a copy at home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnostic_and_Statistical_Manual_of_Mental_Disorders

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Dec 08

P-
One person claims it is "a description"... the original author of the post in question calls it "a definition" which is what it is.

It was an inexact definition to be sure. It's like defining "red" as "a color". Not too illuminating, is it? But I'm sure my point would have been lost (much as it has now anyways), not to mention boring the entire RHP population, had I included the full and complete APA-approved definition.

It was a comeback to a forum bully, not an encyclopedia entry. Get over it.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Dec 08

Suzianne: I was hardly going to take the time to formulate a definition out of my head and then get slammed if it happened to have an error.

Right, Suzimanne, much better to cut-and-paste an inexact one. 😵

Suzianne: My definition was inexact, I'm not denying that.

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
04 Dec 08

I will listen to your criticism of my posts when you can back up half the crap you say in this forum. I'll start being precise when I start getting a grade for posting here and when you become my instructor.

I daresay no one here has even heard of the DSM-IV. But it sounds good to whip that out of your back pocket. I wasn't aware that I had to mee ...[text shortened]... e on Autism and Other PDDs held last February in Sacremento, I was in Mexico at the time.
B

Needs footnotes... ...and further development of the whole Mexico story for the edification of those of us who are suffering in the miserably cold northern climes.

N

The sky

Moves
04 Dec 08

I daresay no one here has even heard of the DSM-IV. But it sounds good to whip that out of your back pocket. I wasn't aware that I had to meet yo ...[text shortened]... Autism and Other PDDs held last February in Sacremento, I was in Mexico at the time.
I don't expect people to write a scientific paper about autism in this forum, but life is difficult enough for autistic people without people insinuating that being autistic means being rude and obnoxious or whatever strange ideas they may have about autism. How would you react if someone would say to some male forum poster: "Hey, I could never figure out why you are so incredibly annoying, but I suddenly realised it's because you really are a woman!", and maybe add some sexist "definition" of femaleness?

And thanks, I know all that, and I never painted all autistic people into the AS corner. I have met a wide variety of autistic people, some of them highly intelligent, some of them mentally disabled. Fact is that mental disability is not part of the criteria. Neither is being a dick.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
04 Dec 08

How would you react if someone would say to some male forum poster: "Hey, I could never figure out why you are so incredibly annoying, but I suddenly realised it's because you really are a woman!",
😉

D

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
04 Dec 08

I don't expect people to write a scientific paper about autism in this forum, but life is difficult enough for autistic people without people insinuating that being autistic means being rude and obnoxious or whatever strange ideas they may have about autism. How would you react if someone would say to some male forum poster: "Hey, I could never figure out wh ...[text shortened]... bled. Fact is that mental disability is not part of the criteria. Neither is being a dick.
I often think that half the people on this forum suffer from Autism or more likely Aspergers.

the constant bickering over nothing, the insults, the anti-social behavior, the resistance to change, tantrums, aggressive behavior, pedantry, the absolute certitude of belief...

It is as if I stumbled into a mental ward on a bad day.

Go ahead insult me, call me names, hurl your abuse or your feces.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
04 Dec 08
2 edits

I don't expect people to write a scientific paper about autism in this forum, but life is difficult enough for autistic people without people insinuating that being autistic means being rude and obnoxious or whatever strange ideas they may have about autism. How would you react if someone would say to some male forum poster: "Hey, I could never figure out wh bled. Fact is that mental disability is not part of the criteria. Neither is being a dick.
Rags is still an idiot if not autistic, and he steals a picture off of the internet for his profile picture. 😛

I saw that same photo 7 or 8 years ago in the worlds 100 most ugly people. I suppose there is the chance that someone stole his real picture and put it there, but what you think the odds of that are? 😛

EDIT: Looks exactly the same now as then, didn't age at all either!!! LOL 😉