Notable death

Notable death

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
316d

John B: Goodenough, Nobel Prize 2019 (li Ion batteries)

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
315d

Gerhard Roth, 80, german biologist and neuroscientist, (at least in Germany) quite well known for his work on "free will"

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
315d

Major research lost after cleaner turned off fridge, lawsuit says

decades of "groundbreaking" work by shutting off a lab freezer containing key samples over an "annoying" alarm sound

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66028401

-------------------------

why is this in the 'notable death' thread?
this report is analogous to the beating of a butterfly's wings in the amazon river basin
for want of a nail, a shoe was lost
for want of a shoe, the horse was lost
for want of a horse, the rider was lost
for want of a rider, the battle was lost

all because a butterfly decided unconsciously to flutter about

mlb62

Moves
312d

6-28-23 Ryan Mallet (35)... former NFL quarterback (N.E. Patriots) drown at a Florida beach..

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
312d

Alan Arkin, 89

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jun/30/alan-arkin-oscar-winning-actor-little-miss-sunshine-dies-aged-89

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
308d

Léon Gautier, last French survivor of the D-day.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
303d

Have only heard it today:

Peter Bieri, Swiss philosopher and author ( pseudonym: Pascal Mercier) 27th of June in Berlin.

I have read his novels, which I found well written and thought out.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
300d

Milan Kundera, 94, Czek / French philosopher and author.

"Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins" (orig L’Insoutenable Légèreté de l’être) was a really big hit in the 80's (at least in Germany)

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
300d

@ponderable said
Milan Kundera, 94, Czek / French philosopher and author.

"Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins" (orig L’Insoutenable Légèreté de l’être) was a really big hit in the 80's (at least in Germany)
a fascinating man

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jul/12/milan-kundera-the-unbearable-lightness-of-being-author-dies-aged-94

F

Moves
298d
1 edit

Former Grateful Dead and The Rolling Stones tour manager Sam Cutler has died. The acclaimed crew member was 80.

In an April 2022 interview with Please Kill Me, Cutler stated:

Well, I was very lucky. I got to work with the number one rock ‘n’ roll band in the Rolling Stones and I got to work with the number one jazz band that was playing rock ‘n’ roll in the Grateful Dead. But I always work with people rather than for people. And I didn’t want to work with junkies. No way. I’ve always viewed heroin as a negative – the enemy. So it was time to do something else. I’ve never been afraid of being broke. I’m not somebody who’s ever thought about life as: get out there and make millions. Or get out there and be a huge success. All those stereotypical American Hollywood fantasies don’t apply to me. I’m just a wanderer. I wander through it all and do the best I can to survive and not hurt anybody. I’m very lucky. I’ve got two grown sons. One’s a journalist. The other one’s studying philosophy. They’re very kind to me. They live in the same city, so I get to see them pretty regularly. Life is cool. I ride my bike and stay out of trouble. I’m 79. I look forward to 80. And when I get to 80, well maybe I’ll reassess things and decide to do something else. Who knows? My mother always used to say: “You should buy a house. You should do this. You should do that. What about when you’re old?” And I just said, “I don’t even know about tomorrow. I don’t care about all that.” Now I’m old and it’s all good. Australia is very good with their old people compared to other countries. You don’t wanna be old and poor in America, that’s for sure.

F

Moves
296d
1 edit

Jane Birkin has died.

Edit: good grief I misspelled her name. Fixed.

Moves
294d

Harry Frankfurt, philosopher, author of "On Bullsh <censored for RHP>"

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
292d

Joao Donato, Brazlian musician, known for being in the Bossa Nova scene

heard it on the readio this morning...found only a long (whole LP, worthwhile) youtube link:

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
292d

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/las-vegas-nv/kevin-mitnick-11371668

Kevin Mitnick, who was once one of the world's most wanted computer hackers, has passed away at 59 on July 16th. According to his obituary (above link), Mitnick battled pancreatic cancer for more than a year and was undergoing treatment at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

https://www.engadget.com/kevin-mitnick-formerly-the-worlds-most-wanted-hacker-has-passed-away-084912966.html

Moves
291d

Tony Bennett, crooner, 96.