Honest question re. English rioting in France

Honest question re. English rioting in France

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
15 Jun 16
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
This is almost an exact repeat of the "gag" you used on page 9 mixed with an almost exact repeat of the "gag" you used earlier on this page both used to try to dodge the straight forward question about the link between your personal anecdote and your personal prejudice. Come on then, you've mentioned "the Chinese". If the people in the minibus who were rude to y ...[text shortened]... hinese, what would that experience have told you about the rudeness of "the Chinese" in general?
Its not a gag as you have erroneously assumed. You were caught using quite frankly offensive terminology to describe persons of a particular ethnicity. Why you might find that funny is known only to you. Tell us why you consider some people as black and yet baulk at the idea of assigning others a different colour based on the pigmentation of their skin. Surely if you feel no qualms about describing those with Negroid characteristics as black you would also have no trouble assigning those with mongoloid characteristics another colour, like yellow. So tell us why you favour black and not yellow. Out with it!

F

Moves
15 Jun 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Its not a gag as you have erroneously assumed. You were caught using quite frankly offensive terminology to describe persons of a particular ethnicity. Why you might find that funny is known only to you. Tell us why you consider some people as black and yet baulk at the idea of assigning others a different colour based on the pigmentation of their ...[text shortened]... tics another colour, like yellow. So tell us why you favour black and not yellow. Out with it!
Still dodging, then. 😕

F

Moves
15 Jun 16

Oh dear, let me tell you of a personal experience. I was riding my bicycle on Great Western road in Glasgow, just past the Grovner hotel. As I stopped at the traffic lights on Kirklee avenue a minibus full of men pulled up beside me. As I waited for the lights to change they opened the windows of the minibus and started to spit on me terming me a 'jock ****' and many other expletives. I recognised from their accents that they were probably from the North East of England somewhere.

Now we can put this down to an isolated incident but them how are we to explain all these other instances of hooligan behaviour. It terms of preconception? In terms of stereotypes? I don't think so. Just accept the fact that you have a problem with hooliganism and that England supporters have no sense of decorum, being ill bred churls and it will be ok for you, but this attempting to explain it away with references to preconception isn't working for you.

Here is the question about the mechanics of your prejudice you are wriggling to avoid answering:

If the people in the minibus had been black, and they had started to spit on you, calling you names, and using expletives, would you now be railing against black people?

rc

Moves
15 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
Still dodging, then. 😕
Lets ask you AGAIN, why do you feel comfortable terming people black but not yellow or red.

F

Moves
15 Jun 16
1 edit

Lets ask you AGAIN, why do you feel comfortable terming people black but not yellow or red.
Yellow what? Red what? "Black" in British English refers to ethnic West Indians and ethnic Africans and others besides. Even black Brits refer to themselves as black. If you were an American quibbling use of the word "black" then I might understand as the usage is often different in the U.S. But you're a fellow Briton, so I know full well - as will other Brits - that you're just trying to be "funny" in order to avoid answering the on-the-level but inconvenient question about your own prejudice that you fell into as if it were a hole in the ground.

F

Moves
15 Jun 16

Its not a gag as you have erroneously assumed. You were caught using quite frankly offensive terminology to describe persons of a particular ethnicity.
There's nothing the slightest bit offensive about it. I think we have just discovered that you don't have any black friends in Glasgow. 😉

Tell us more about the supposed incident with the rude people in the minibus and what it told you about "the English". Would a similar incident in Jakarta have told you about "the Indonesians"? If so, what? And what if the rude people in the minibus were ethnic Chinese? What would it have told you about "the Chinese"?

rc

Moves
15 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
Yellow what? Red what? "Black" in British English refers to ethnic West Indians and ethnic Africans and others besides. Even black Brits refer to themselves as black. If you were an American quibbling use of the word "black" then I might understand as the usage is often different in the U.S. But you're a fellow Briton, so I know full well - as will other Brits - ...[text shortened]... venient question about your own prejudice that you fell into as if it were a hole in the ground.
I have already told you that I do not buy into your absurd use of the term 'black' to describe, label, designate or whatever else it is that you hope to utilise the term for based on some kind of allusion to the colour of someones skin. I have also already told you that i find it inaccurate and offensive, Why you think that is an attempt to be funny is perhaps nothing more than a vacuous attempt to evade being called to account for your rhetoric. Again you have failed to tell us why you and others like you (that is not me) find it acceptable to term others black but baulk at the idea of terming others yellow and red.

F

Moves
15 Jun 16

I have already told you that I do not buy into your absurd use of the term 'black' to describe, label, designate or whatever else it is that you hope to utilise the term for based on some kind of allusion to the colour of someones skin. I have also already told you that i find it inaccurate and offensive, Why you think that is an attempt to be funny ...[text shortened]... find it acceptable to term others black but baulk at the idea of terming others yellow and red.
"yellow or red" what? What are you on about? With this particular comedy routine, robbie, you're on a hiding to nothing.

Let's just declare 'the Minibus Question' dodged.

rc

Moves
15 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
There's nothing the slightest bit offensive about it. I think we have just discovered that you don't have any black friends in Glasgow. 😉

Tell us more about the supposed incident with the rude people in the minibus and what it told you about "the English". Would a similar incident in Jakarta have told you about "the Indonesians"? If so, what? And what if the ...[text shortened]... rude people in the minibus were ethnic Chinese? What would it have told you about "the Chinese"?
I do not call anyone black and i find it absurd and offensive that you do. Do you also term your Asian friends brown or yellow? No why not? evidently you have no qualms about terming others black. Tell us why you are happy to term some people black but not others , brown, yellow, or red.

rc

Moves
15 Jun 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
"yellow or red" what? What are you on about? With this particular comedy routine, robbie, you're on a hiding to nothing.

Let's just declare 'the Minibus Question' dodged.
I have explained it, you use a colour to label some segment of the population and yet baulk at using it to label others, why is that.

F

Moves
15 Jun 16

I have explained it, you use a colour to label some segment of the population and yet balk at using it to label others, why is that.
Nobody calls anyone "yellow" or "red" don't be daft. But in British English "black" is used - and used by all British, regardless of their ethnicity - to refer to the ethnicities and heritages I have mentioned. You don't have any black friends there in Glasgow, do you robbie?

rc

Moves
15 Jun 16
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Nobody calls anyone "yellow" or "red" don't be daft. But in British English "black" is used - and used by all British, regardless of their ethnicity - to refer to the ethnicities and heritages I have mentioned. You don't have any black friends there in Glasgow, do you robbie?
I know that its used, its used by the BBC and Wendys like you and I find it absurd and offensive. We are still waiting for you to tell us why its use should be acceptable. Do you really think that they are black? Do you find it acceptable to refer to people based on their skin pigmentation. Tell us why its acceptable.

F

Moves
15 Jun 16

I know that its used, its used by the BBC and Wendys like you and I find it absurd and offensive. We are still waiting for you to tell us why its use should be acceptable. Do you really think that they are black?
It's British English, robbie. I think you may have got a bit confused about the difference in American and British usage.

rc

Moves
15 Jun 16
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
It's British English, robbie. I think you may have got a bit confused about the difference in American and British usage.
Its British English? so are many other terms that i find offensive and absurd. Do you also refer to people as coolies, coons, spiks and nips?? etc I am confused about nothing! What i am trying to make you realise is that you seem perfectly happy using skin pigmentation as a legitimate term for some but baulk at it when used for others.

F

Moves
15 Jun 16

Do you also refer to people as coolies, coons etc
No, and neither do black Britons refer to themselves in that way ~ but they do self-identify as black.