Did you Know?

Did you Know?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
93d

Did you know?

This could be my final posting of "Did you know"?

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
93d

What kind of random fun facts do you enjoy the most?

The magical word “abracadabra” was originally supposed to be spoken to people with hay fever, which would supposed to cure them.

Ducks have three eyelids

Slugs can grow an entirely new body from their severed head.

Mosquitoes have teeth.

If you put your finger in your ear, and scratch it, it kind of sounds like the Pac-Man sound. (You totally tried it, didn’t you?)

According to scientists, there are approximately 100 billion galaxies in the universe. That’s honestly insane.

Australia once went to war with some Emus. Guess what? The Emus won.

Back in the 1800s, some guy randomly said that he’s now the emperor of the United States, and actually tried to create his own currency.

OJ Simpson almost became the Terminator, but apparently he was too…”likeable”

. And so, Arnold Schwarzenegger become the Terminator, thankfully.

When Samuel L. Jackson was in college, he and some other students held Martin Luther King Sr., among others, hostage.

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
91d

Interesting Unknown Facts
That You Need To Know

Fun facts often catch us off guard and is often entertaining in the best possible way. These are unusual and unexpected bits of knowledge from the world of history, science and pop culture that delights and will leave us astonished. Here are some fun and amazing facts that will thrill and surprise you at the same time!

Hot water will turn into ice faster than cold water.

An observation conducted in which a liquid (typically water) that is initially hot can freeze faster than the other liquid which is cold under similar conditions.

The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows.

People always wonder why Mona Lisa doesn’t have any eyebrows. This mystery has been solved, all thanks to an engineer named Pascal Cotte. When Da Vinci had painted Mona Lisa, he indeed painted her eyebrows but over time these eyebrows were eroded due to cleaning over time to the point where it’s no longer visible today.

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
90d

Rabbit Mating Habits:

Mating Habits
The mating process begins with the male rabbit, or buck, pursuing the female or doe. If the female is receptive, they will mate; the process typically lasts less than a minute. After mating, the doe will build a nest to raise her young. Feb 9, 2023

-VR

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
88d

@Very-Rusty
According to scientists, there are approximately 100 billion galaxies in the universe. That’s honestly insane.
---------------------------------------------------------------

The new space telescopes that they have now have updated that figure to two trillion!

"Currently, the observable Universe, which has a radius of 46.5 billion light-years, seems to contain at least two trillion galaxies."

https://nineplanets.org/questions/how-many-galaxies-are-there-in-the-universe/

Gothenburg

Moves
88d

@very-rusty said
Rabbit Mating Habits:

Mating Habits
The mating process begins with the male rabbit, or buck, pursuing the female or doe. If the female is receptive, they will mate; the process typically lasts less than a minute. After mating, the doe will build a nest to raise her young. Feb 9, 2023

-VR
Isn't that how animals usually do it?

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
88d
2 edits

@torunn said
Isn't that how animals usually do it?
Some humans too?
My pet rabbit used to disappear under my long skirt and hump my leg while I was putting the washing on the line.

Gothenburg

Moves
88d

@drewnogal said
Some humans too?
I was going to add that but stopped myself. 🙂

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
88d

What are the 5 areas of human nature?

With insights from neuroscience, I theorized about five crucial factors that drive human nature, which I called theNeuro P5. These are: power, pleasure, profit, pride and permanency(meaning the desire for survival and for extending life).Apr 4, 2019

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
86d

Did you know best facts?

Science Facts

If you go straight up, it will take an hour to reach outer space.

The weight of a person is six times lower on the moon than on earth.

There are metals that can burn in water.

A teaspoon of a neutron star can weigh nearly 6 billion tons.

An ostrich's brain is smaller than its eyeballs.

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
84d

Leap Year

It takes the earth one day to complete one spin on its axis. The time it takes the earth to complete one trip around the sun is one year.

But these units of time don’t divide evenly, resulting in our calendar year being 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and a little over 45 seconds long. Every 4 years we take those extra hours and minutes and fit it in an extra day, on February 29th, which we call Leap Day. Every fourth year thus is Leap Year. If we did not have the extra day every 4 years, in 100 years our calendar would be off by 24 days.

Why are some people mosquito magnets and others unbothered?

Why are some people mosquito magnets and others unbothered? A medical entomologist points to metabolism, body odor and mindset.

By Jonathan Day, University of Florida

It’s rare to attend an outdoor party in warm weather without hearing people complain about mosquitoes. They swat away, sit in campfire smoke, cover up with blankets and eventually just give up and go indoors. On the other end of the spectrum, there are plenty of people who don’t seem bothered by mosquitoes in the slightest.

The most popular fast food brands in America

Hamburgers, chicken, snacks, pizzas, sandwiches, donuts, smoothies. What’s not to like?

That’s why the global fast food market size is $860 billion, with more than a third of that being enjoyed in the United States where the fast food market is $300 billion per year… and growing.

It is estimated that 36%, or 84 million, American adults consume some kind of fast food every day, joined by a similar percentage of American children (persons under 18 years of age), or 26 million.

How we have been misled about antidepressants

By Joanna Moncrieff is a Professor of Critical and Social Psychiatry.

Our umbrella review that revealed no links between serotonin and depression has caused shock waves among the general public, but has been dismissed as old news by psychiatric opinion leaders. This disjunction begs the questions of why the public has been fed this narrative for so long, and what antidepressants are actually doing if they are not reversing a chemical imbalance.

Before I go on, I should stress that I am not against the use of drugs for mental health problems per se. I believe some psychiatric drugs can be useful in some situations, but the way these drugs are presented both to the public and among the psychiatric community is, in my view, fundamentally misleading.

Weapon Of Last Resort: How The Soviet Union Developed The World’s Most Powerful Bomb

Republished with permission from RFE/RL. See the original article.

On October 30, 1961, the Soviet Union tested the largest nuclear device ever created. The “Tsar Bomba,” as it became known, was 10 times more powerful than all the munitions used during World War II.

While its original purpose was to prove to the world, and especially to the United States, that the Soviet Union was capable of producing such devices, it also brought a surprising twist to the future testing of nukes.

Are We Living Under a Kakistocracy: Government by the Worst?

If so, what should we do about it?

In 1787, as Benjamin Franklin left the final session of the Constitutional Convention, he was asked what form of government the delegates had given America. “A Republic,” he answered, “if you can keep it.”

Spoiler alert: we didn’t.

In 1963, Leonard Read warned Americans that “our once-upon-a-time Republic” was degenerating into something else; “we are headed into a kakistocracy,” he wrote.

Kakistocracy means “government by the worst.” Read particularly liked James Russell Lowell’s definition: “a government… for the benefit of knaves at the cost of fools.”

US foreign‐​born share ranks low and is falling among wealthy countries

According to new data from the United Nations, the foreign‐​born share of the U.S. population ranked 56th in the world. Among wealthy countries in 2020, its ranking has fallen from the 43rd percentile to the 26th percentile since 2000. Its ranking for per capita growth in foreign‐​born population since 2015 was even lower: the 13th percentile. The United States is clearly becoming less competitive for talent internationally.

The 7 most important factors for getting rich

Some people believe that becoming rich is a question of luck. Historian and sociologist Dr. Rainer Zitelmann disagrees. Whether chance presents you with a good opportunity or not is not the key question. Rather:

Do you actually recognize the opportunity in front of you? Or do you fail to appreciate it for what it is? As the Swiss author Max Frisch once said, “Chance shows me what I have an eye for.”
And if you do recognize your lucky break, do you take advantage of it? Do you act? Or are you someone who says: “Maybe now is not the right time. Perhaps it’s something to think about one day…”

« Previous facts |

Most popular
What your handwriting means
Proper table settings
Fast facts about your body
Size of the sun in comparison
World's first video arcade game
Facts about cats
Why? - Answers to everyday questions
End of world predictions
Atlantis - the lost city
Why are some people mosquito magnets and others unbothered?
The most popular fast food brands in America
How we have been misled about antidepressants
Weapon Of Last Resort: How The Soviet Union Developed The World’s Most Powerful Bomb
Are We Living Under a Kakistocracy: Government by the Worst?
US foreign‐​born share ranks low and is falling among wealthy countries
The 7 most important factors for getting rich
The second life of home PCs
World Health Organization – who is contributing and who is not
Coronavirus has finally made us recognise the illegal wildlife trade is a public health issue
COVID-19: genetic network analysis provides ‘snapshot’ of pandemic origins
By the numbers: The federal coronavirus economic relief package
Coronavirus lockdown, self-quarantine, self-isolation: you’ve been practicing for it, haven’t you?
Coronavirus scams, spam and phishing
Market data: Indices, Bonds, Stocks and Cryptocurrencies

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
80d

What does a person with D.I.D. feel like?

Dissociative Identity Disorder: What You Need To Know

Someone with DID may feel very detached from experiences or even forget doing or saying something that others witnessed. The gaps in memory, confusion, and stress of living with the subjective sense of having “not-me” experiences can become distressing. Aug 29, 2022

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
80d

@very-rusty said
Did you know best facts?

Science Facts

If you go straight up, it will take an hour to reach outer space.

-VR
Doesn't that depend upon how fast you are travelling?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
80d

@the-gravedigger said
Doesn't that depend upon how fast you are travelling?
Exactly and how fast would you have to be moving Mr. t-g?? 🙂

-VR

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
80d

@very-rusty said
Leap Year

It takes the earth one day to complete one spin on its axis. The time it takes the earth to complete one trip around the sun is one year.

But these units of time don’t divide evenly, resulting in our calendar year being 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and a little over 45 seconds long. Every 4 years we take those extra hours and minutes and fit it in an extra ...[text shortened]... oronavirus scams, spam and phishing
Market data: Indices, Bonds, Stocks and Cryptocurrencies

-VR
It’ll take a day to read this one 😯