Missouri bill outlawing out-of-state abortion

Missouri bill outlawing out-of-state abortion

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 22

@sh76 said
Making abortion about women's rights is sophistry.

Most of us agree that people have a right to privacy.

All of us agree that people have a right to life.

I imagine all of us agree that the right to life of one person outweighs the right to privacy of another.

So, the only question is when the fetus' right to life kicks in.

I hope we can all agree that it happens ...[text shortened]... realize that it's not about the woman's rights. It's about the fetus' right to life or lack thereof.
BS. Of course, it's about a women's right to bodily sovereignty/autonomy. Artificially declaring a non-viable fetus has some "right to life" (which BTW not even the draft opinion does) is simply denying that actual right.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 22

@sleepyguy said
Of course I do, but there are two bodies involved, and one has an obligation to the other.
No, a women has no obligation to a non-viable fetus. To make such a claim is to eviscerate her right to bodily sovereignty/autonomy.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
16 May 22

@no1marauder said
No, a women has no obligation to a non-viable fetus. To make such a claim is to eviscerate her right to bodily sovereignty/autonomy.
Why?

You don't believe parents are obligated to protect and care for their offspring?

Moves
16 May 22

@sleepyguy said
Why?

You don't believe parents are obligated to protect and care for their offspring?
As defined by law,
they are not yet offspring....

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
16 May 22

@no1marauder said
BS. Of course, it's about a women's right to bodily sovereignty/autonomy. Artificially declaring a non-viable fetus has some "right to life" (which BTW not even the draft opinion does) is simply denying that actual right.
What the draft opinion does is call into question the court's drawing of the magic "viability" line in the first place, and states plainly that no right to abortion is implicit in the Constitution. Whatever will you do without the rhetorical device of the magic line?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 22

@sleepyguy said
Why?

You don't have "offspring" until birth.

While I would concede some obligation to a viable fetus (after all it can exist independently of the mother), I don't believe a woman has any obligation to a non-viable fetus which can't exist independently. The recognition of such a claim would justify all types of restrictions on pregnant woman during the early stages of pregnancy perhaps including restrictions on diet, exercise requirements and who knows what else. This would make a mockery of the concept of bodily sovereignty/autonomy.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
16 May 22

@no1marauder said
While I would concede some obligation to a viable fetus (after all it can exist independently of the mother), I don't believe a woman has any obligation to a non-viable fetus which can't exist independently.
WHY?

Why does the mere fact that it can not yet live independently erase all obligation to it? The answer cannot simply be "because then monstrous things might follow."

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 22

@sleepyguy said
WHY?

Why does the mere fact that it can not yet live independently erase all obligation to it? The answer cannot simply be "because then monstrous things might follow."
What part of "bodily sovereignty/autonomy" don't you get?

Yes, it would be "monstrous" to restrict such in the ways I have outlined. But it would be perfectly permissible under your idea that a woman "owes" some obligation to a non-person existing within the confines of her body.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 22
2 edits

@sleepyguy said
What the draft opinion does is call into question the court's drawing of the magic "viability" line in the first place, and states plainly that no right to abortion is implicit in the Constitution. Whatever will you do without the rhetorical device of the magic line?
Viability isn't a "magic line"; it is a philosophically necessary one in a Natural Rights framework. Nature is what decided a non-viable fetus cannot exist physically independently of the pregnant woman and thus has no Natural Rights. Clearly, the artificial creation of any such "rights" would render the woman's right to bodily sovereignty/autonomy nugatory as the examples I have presented show.

And I hate to break it to you and right wing SCOTUS judges, but the Constitution did not create and it certainly does not limit Natural Rights.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
16 May 22

@no1marauder said
What part of "bodily sovereignty/autonomy" don't you get?

Yes, it would be "monstrous" to restrict such in the ways I have outlined. But it would be perfectly permissible under your idea that a woman "owes" some obligation to a non-person existing within the confines of her body.
That is a non-answer.

You have failed at the same point you always do.

Oh well.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 22
1 edit

@sleepyguy said
WHY?

"It shall be a felony if a pregnant woman does not eat a green salad every day from her child's conception as the Legislature finds it would reckless endanger her unborn child if she does not".

Explain why this law would not be upheld under your "obligation to a non-viable fetus" standard.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 22

@sleepyguy said
That is a non-answer.

You have failed at the same point you always do.

Oh well.
Hardly. You've merely adopted your usual "hold your breath until you turn blue" style of argument.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
16 May 22

@no1marauder
You are answering the question with a question. A non-answer. The same non-answer referred to in the draft opinion:

"Under this scheme, each trimester of pregnancy was regulated differently, but the most critical line was drawn at roughly the end of the second trimester, which, at the time, corresponded to the point at which a fetus was thought to achieve “viability,” i.e., the ability to survive outside the womb. Although the Court acknowledged that States had a legitimate interest in protecting “potential life,” it found that this interest could not justify any restriction on previability abortions. The Court did not explain the basis for this line, and even abortion supporters like no1marauder have found it hard to defend Roe's reasoning."

Cheeky of Alito to call you out like that.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 22
1 edit

@sleepyguy said
In fact, the draft opinion explicitly allows States the option of permitting post-viability abortions even absent concerns regarding the mother's life or health:

"In some States, voters may believe that the abortion right should be even more extensive than the right that Roe and Casey recognized." at p. 31

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

So he does not assert that a fetus has any rights at all, at any stage of development.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 May 22
1 edit

@sleepyguy said
@no1marauder
You are answering the question with a question. A non-answer. The same non-answer referred to in the draft opinion:

"Under this scheme, each trimester of pregnancy was regulated differently, but the most critical line was drawn at roughly the end of the second trimester, which, at the time, corresponded to the point at which a fetus was thought to achieve “ ...[text shortened]... der[/i] have found it hard to defend Roe's reasoning."

Cheeky of Alito to call you out like that.
Actually, I've already explained my basis i.e. in Natural Rights. In case you missed it:

no1: "Viability isn't a "magic line"; it is a philosophically necessary one in a Natural Rights framework. Nature is what decided a non-viable fetus cannot exist physically independently of the pregnant woman and thus has no Natural Rights. Clearly, the artificial creation of any such "rights" would render the woman's right to bodily sovereignty/autonomy nugatory as the examples I have presented show.

And I hate to break it to you and right wing SCOTUS judges, but the Constitution did not create and it certainly does not limit Natural Rights."

Read my last post; Alito's argument would allow States to permit post-viability abortions irrespective of any danger to the mother's life or health.