1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 08:32
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Hehummm. excuse my analogy.

It is illegal to hunt moose in Massachusetts. I go to Maine and hunt a moose.
    Can I be prosecuted in Massachusetts? I believe, NO.
    You could be if they would make the law say you get punished no matter where the moose is, that the act of moose hunting itself is what's important to them, not the location of the moose. And if Maine releases evidence that you hunted to the former state, you go to jail. Because America is awesome and state rights.

But I wouldn't be too worried about moose hunting if I were you. We all know regulating women is much more important than anything involving guns. It could be centuries before anyone gets around to look at boomsticks
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 May '22 10:532 edits
    @shavixmir said
    How come they work 5 days after sex then?
    They work if the egg hasn't been fertilized prior to taking the pill. As mentioned before, an egg can be fertilized within a half-hour after sex; if that happens, the pill is not effective.

The *average* time it takes for an egg to be fertizlied is around six days, so most of the time, the morning-after pills work.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 May '22 11:103 edits
    @zahlanzi said
    this will depend on other states to cooperate with the stupid ones or not.
    It won't matter once a person re-enters that state where abortion is legal.

You're correct if a woman chooses to stay in a place like New Jersey after leaving a red state; they're not required to extradite women seeking abortions back to Texas. The problem comes once the woman steps foot back into a state where abortion is illegal.

You will have refugees seeking political asylum in the same damn country.

God damn. This is like some dystopian novel. In the "Handmaid's Tale", women seek freedom by fleeing from the U.S. to Canada; we're not that far off.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 12:43
    @vivify said
    It won't matter once a person re-enters that state where abortion is legal.

You're correct if a woman chooses to stay in a place like New Jersey after leaving a red state; they're not required to extradite women seeking abortions back to Texas. The problem comes once the woman steps foot back into a state where abortion is illegal.

[b]You will have refugees seeking po ...[text shortened]... he "Handmaid's Tale", women seek freedom by fleeing from the U.S. to Canada; we're not that far off.
    "It won't matter once a person re-enters that state where abortion is legal. "
    It can get "stupid-er": an alabamian applies for political asylum in New York, do they get New Yorkyan nationality? A passport? If they travel to Tennessee, another stupid state, with whom Alabama presumably will have an extradition treaty, can they get arrested and extradited to Alabama? Is that an "international" incident? Will New York consider it an act of war?

America is depressing.
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    16 May '22 12:52
    @Zahlanzi. Here is a depressing note, Zahlanzi. The GOVERNOR of Colorado, prob has children, is supporting killing the individual inside of a mother's womb any time before birth.
    If you are a good debater, you will tell us if you agree with that, or if you do not. You will not tell us. Why don't liberals ever tell us?
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 May '22 13:531 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    @Zahlanzi. Here is a depressing note, Zahlanzi. The GOVERNOR of Colorado, prob has children, is supporting killing the individual inside of a mother's womb any time before birth.
    If you are a good debater, you will tell us if you agree with that, or if you do not. You will not tell us. Why don't liberals ever tell us?
    Perhaps if you could cite a case where anything like what your implying in your post has actually happened we could debate the rights and wrongs of allowing it to happen.
    These right wing misogynists are not trying to pass laws that restrict how advanced a pregnancy can be for an abortion to be carried out they are trying to make women carry to term the foetus brought about by them being raped by their own father or brother.
    This is dystopia realised.
  7. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    16 May '22 14:02
    @vivify said
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/missouri-considers-law-to-make-illegal-to-aid-or-abet-out-of-state

Missouri considers law to make illegal to ‘aid or abet’ out-of-state abortion

First-of-its-kind Missouri legislation shows that anti-abortion lawmakers in Republican-led states aren’t likely to stop at banning most abortions within their borders but also ...[text shortened]... plus groups across the U.S. that have sprung up specifically to preserve access to abortion.
    FYI, the proposal in the Missouri House you're all still on about was killed in the womb (by Republicans) back in late March.

https://missouriindependent.com/2022/03/29/missouri-house-blocks-effort-to-limit-access-to-out-of-state-abortions/
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 14:05
    @kevcvs57 said
    Perhaps if you could cite a case where anything like what your implying in your post has actually happened we could debate the rights and wrongs of allowing it to happen.
    These right wing misogynists are not trying to pass laws that restrict how advanced a pregnancy can be for an abortion to be carried out they are trying to make women carry to term the foetus brought about by them being raped by their own father or brother.
    I am skipping this comment. Once in a while you need to take a vacation from average joe else you are going to burn out. You can't react to every one of his nonsense. Pace yourself
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 May '22 14:11
    @zahlanzi said
    I am skipping this comment. Once in a while you need to take a vacation from average joe else you are going to burn out. You can't react to every one of his nonsense. Pace yourself
    I was drinking a cuppa soup at the time, it was a welcome distraction. I know what you mean though.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 May '22 14:16
    @kevcvs57 said
    why are you lying about this?
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 May '22 14:24
    @mott-the-hoople said
    why are you lying about this?
    I’m not lying, there are states that are proposing to make abortion unavailable other than in cases where the mothers life is in danger. So rape and incest victims will not qualify. Perhaps you should stop lying and come clean about your intentions before the mid terms so the electorate can be an informed electorate
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 May '22 16:28
    @sleepyguy said
    FYI, the proposal in the Missouri House you're all still on about was killed in the womb (by Republicans) back in late March.

https://missouriindependent.com/2022/03/29/missouri-house-blocks-effort-to-limit-access-to-out-of-state-abortions/
    Thanks for the update, that's good to know. The article in the OP is from earlier that month.

Unfortunately, Texas still has a law that allows anyone who "aids or abets" an abortion to be sued; the NYT indicates this may include people who helped a patient cross state lines:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/abortion-law-texas.html

If an employer, family member, etc., aids women seeking abortions either by assisting with costs, transportation, or whatever, that person or entity can be sued, even if the abortion took place in a state where it's legal. Successful lawsuits can range in penalties of up to $10,000.

As far as I'm aware, that law is still on the books, which was passed a few months ago.
  13. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    16 May '22 16:51
    @vivify said
    Thanks for the update, that's good to know. The article in the OP is from earlier that month.

Unfortunately, Texas still has a law that allows anyone who "aids or abets" an abortion to be sued; the NYT indicates this may include people who helped a patient cross state lines:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/abortion-law-texas.html

If an employer, family member, etc., ...[text shortened]... $10,000.

As far as I'm aware, that law is still on the books, which was passed a few months ago.
    Yes I think that's correct, but I'm unaware if anyone has been sued yet. The TX law is strange, essentially farming out enforcement to private citizens and ultimately undermining the judicial branch. One can imagine left leaning states going the same route with other hot button issues like gun control, climate etc., total chaos. I wonder if that's what finally pushed SCOTUS to kick the issue back to the states and be done with it once and for all.
  14. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    16 May '22 17:233 edits
    @averagejoe1 said
    States rights?
    Well, first of all, it is not illegal.
    It is the law of the land.
    What kinda' government should be able to dictate
    what a woman can, or can't do with her own body?
    Hey Jo, ''Just leave us alone,'' ...........isn't that your motto?
    100 years ago you would have been against women's suffrage too, 50 years back, against Civil Rights.
    Why are Conservatives so frightened by change?
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 May '22 17:36
    @sleepyguy said
    I wonder if that's what finally pushed SCOTUS to kick the issue back to the states and be done with it once and for all.
    Pro-abortion Justices were picked with the specific goal of overturning Roe. That was the major reason anti-abortion judges were picked. It was kicked back to the states to fulfill the goal of outlawing abortion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree