libertarian

libertarian

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
15d
1 edit

@spruce112358 said
Yep. Still no. 🙂

But TBH, I think most people realize libertarianism is broken. People drift in and drift out of it. Some libertarians put forward very sensible and rational ideas, but then someone will say, "And furthermore... Taxation is Theft!" And the faithful all nod, but the new people all go, "...wa-... what?" And they edge towards the door. The movement hasn't grown.
People that 'drift out' are pretenders and the movement is better off without them, occasionally there's a shake up which leads to the pretenders self purging this is good and natural. The party hasn't imploded it still exists and will exist for the foreseeable future an important home for those that believe you don't have a right to force your dream feelings on others simply by being in a bigger gang.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15d
1 edit

@Wajoma
What I have heard about libertarians is they have no interest in foreign policy ONLY making absolute minimum government in their own countries regardless of greedy corps wanting to dump toxic waste in streams and rivers not realizing they NEED regulating or else they will do what they fukking please. And libertarians are ok with that.
You would be fine with NZ putting up a wall all the way round the island and SCREW the rest of the world we don't need you.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
15d

@sonhouse said
@Wajoma
What I have heard about libertarians is they have no interest in foreign policy ONLY making absolute minimum government in their own countries regardless of greedy corps wanting to dump toxic waste in streams and rivers not realizing they NEED regulating or else they will do what they fukking please. And libertarians are ok with that.
You would be fine with NZ putting up a wall all the way round the island and SCREW the rest of the world we don't need you.
Libertarian immigration policy: Let peaceful people cross borders freely.

An example of not a peaceful person: Crosses the border then puts their hand out for free education, healthcare, social welfare benefit, accommodation to be supplied by reluctant citizens threatened with goobermint force to do so.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
15d

@wajoma said

An example of not a peaceful person: Crosses the border then puts their hand out for free education, healthcare, social welfare benefit, accommodation to be supplied by reluctant citizens threatened with goobermint force to do so.
Ohhhhh… open borders…

Me likes that libertarian way of thinking!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15d

@Wajoma
In other words SCREW starving folks or people trying to escape cartels since they HAVE to be sub humans. Tell me about NZ libertarian foreign policy? What is your stance about Russian propaganda trying to destroy democracies around the world? What is your policy about Iranians vowing to destroy Israel and the same with Hamas?
Is there some kind of libertarian statement about any of that? China building militarized artificial island to intimidate the Philippines? Do you seriously think China government is interested in keeping those countries democratic? Do you think Taiwan should be able to be a separate country not controlled by China?
Do you think it's ok for China to have invaded the countries of Himalaya? Why don't you bitch about THOSE countries taken over by China, eh?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
15d

@sonhouse said
@Wajoma
In other words SCREW starving folks or people trying to escape cartels since they HAVE to be sub humans. Tell me about NZ libertarian foreign policy? What is your stance about Russian propaganda trying to destroy democracies around the world? What is your policy about Iranians vowing to destroy Israel and the same with Hamas?
Is there some kind of libertarian state ...[text shortened]... nvaded the countries of Himalaya? Why don't you bitch about THOSE countries taken over by China, eh?
You're raving like an ijit, go stroke your banjo, calm down.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
15d

@shavixmir said
Ohhhhh… open borders…

Sounds good right, except all that free stuff you're a fan of makes free and open immigration impossible. One or the other shag pseudy for brains.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
15d

@Zahlanzi
But I am sure you wouldn't mind Russia opening bases in Cuba, right? They are defensive after all

When USSR attempted to put nuke missiles into Cuba, Nikita Khrushchev told Kennedy that the missiles were defensive.

That was supposed to be his justification for the attempt.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
15d

@wajoma said
Sounds good right, except all that free stuff you're a fan of makes free and open immigration impossible. One or the other shag pseudy for brains.
Stop framing my opinions for me, thank you.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15d
2 edits

@shavixmir said
Ohhhhh… open borders…

Not like the European idea of open borders. More like, let's only let in the people who are helpful to us.

Haven't you learned yet?

Republicans and libertarians call stuff something it's not, so that others let them get away with what they're doing.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15d

@wajoma said
A just world can do both.

It's when you introduce profit that things cease being free.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15d

@wajoma said

Government force happens when people get slapped down for expecting something for free. Conservative government exists to help corporations make money. How dare you expect something for free.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
15d

@wajoma said
People that 'drift out' are pretenders and the movement is better off without them, occasionally there's a shake up which leads to the pretenders self purging this is good and natural. The party hasn't imploded it still exists and will exist for the foreseeable future an important home for those that believe you don't have a right to force your dream feelings on others simply by being in a bigger gang.
That's the cramped view of libertarianism. It hasn't grown and I doubt it ever will, for the reasons I've shared.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
15d

@wajoma said

I'm not an "open borders" libertarian because rights protection costs money (i.e. taxes) and someone newly arrived hasn't paid in.

Expecting to take advantage of rights protection you haven't paid for is problematic.

We might do it on a small scale, charitably, but it is better if the migrant goes back and establishes a democracy that protects his rights where he came from. This solves both of our problems in a much more permanent way. It's cheaper, too, in the long run.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
15d

@spruce112358 said
We don't have the right to place others at risk without their consent.

Examples:
Drunk driving. Let's say you manage to drive home without killing anyone. It is still wrong because you put everyone on the road at risk.

Pointing a gun at someone. The other person is 'at risk' because he doesn't know if it is loaded or what you intend.

Producing anthrax in your b ...[text shortened]... s beside the point. Putting others at risk without consent is wrong and a violation of their rights.
===Pointing a gun at someone. The other person is 'at risk' because he doesn't know if it is loaded or what you intend.===

I don't understand. How does that put him at risk?