Juror:  Please show me the crime

Juror: Please show me the crime

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
17d

@mott-the-hoople said
you reference a case about cohen, not trump
Cohen went to prison. For this crime.

Definitely a crime.

Über-Nerd

Moves
17d

@averagejoe1 said
@AverageJoe1
THE crime.

Again, not ALL of alleged crimes of All cases. Obviously not my OP.
What's the crime in the so-called hush-money case? Falsifying financial records. Here's a summary from the indictment:

1. violated FECA's restrictions on corporate and individual contributions.

2. violated FECA through unlawful individual and corporate contributions by Cohen, Pecker, and AMI; and...by falsifying the records of other New York enterprises and mischaracterizing the nature of the repayment for tax purposes.

3. violated New York tax law.

Moves
17d

@moonbus said
Falsifying financial records. It’s a felony.

EDIT: copy-pasted from Marauder's thread on the case:

<<
NY Penal Law "§ 175.10 Falsifying business records in the first degree. A person is guilty of falsifying business records in the first degree when he commits the crime of falsifying business records in the second degree, and when his intent to defraud includes an int ...[text shortened]... p-20 pp. 13-14

>>

Now, what part of "felony" do you not understand? Two too many syllables?
when was Trump convicted of violating Fed election law?

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
17d

@mott-the-hoople said
They don't need him to have been convicted of anything to elevate the charges.

"Falsifying business records is a misdemeanor, but the charge becomes a felony — punishable by up to four years in prison — if the records were falsified with the intent to commit or hide some other underlying crime."

So my understanding is they just have to convince the jury that he intended to hide or commit another crime - state or federal. That's why they are trying to establish a conspiracy because there is a NY election law that mentions conspiracy.

I think that Trump's defense is that he paid these people off to hide the stories from his family, not the public. But Cohen will testify that Trump told him this was to hide the stories from the electorate.

Moves
17d

@spruce112358 said
They don't need him to have been convicted of anything to elevate the charges.

"Falsifying business records is a misdemeanor, but the charge becomes a felony — punishable by up to four years in prison — if the records were falsified with the intent to commit or hide some other underlying crime."

So my understanding is they just have to convince the jury that ...[text shortened]... public. But Cohen will testify that Trump told him this was to hide the stories from the electorate.
“the intent to commit or hide some other underlying crime."

😂. damn mysterious crime I tell ya

Moves
17d

@moonbus said
Don’t mince words. Interfering in one is, and so is falsifying financial records pertaining to a campaign. I expect Marauder can cite chapter and verse.
Would it be considering "interfering" if a candidate posted lies about a laptop being fake and claiming it was proven because he had signatures from 50 CIA/FBI agents saying so, even though he KNEW the laptop was real and belonged to his son?

w

Moves
16d

@cliff-mashburn said
Would it be considering "interfering" if a candidate posted lies about a laptop being fake and claiming it was proven because he had signatures from 50 CIA/FBI agents saying so, even though he KNEW the laptop was real and belonged to his son?
Does hypocrisy negate the existence of a crime? Like no one is a criminal if both "sides" are equally guilty?

Lake Como

Moves
16d

@kevcvs57 said
They never said that at all, they just didn’t bother prosecuting it, Trump has spent four years lying about the 2020 election because he’s too much of bed wetter to take a rejection and a loss.
He’s literally raging at the electorate and he means to get even with them like a nasty stalky ex boyfriend.
He’s convinced laws aren’t meant for men like him so maybe the law is chucking everything it can at him to prove him wrong.
You are a nice person, Kev , good fun had by all.
I think, though, that you may be in the wrong thread? Only one sentence needed for the answer to this real puzzler. I am still sweating that the King of Bots is not far away, and my thread will relegate to the abyss.

Moves
16d

@wildgrass said
Does hypocrisy negate the existence of a crime? Like no one is a criminal if both "sides" are equally guilty?
a one sided justice system is not hypocrisy…but your supporting going after one candidate and not the other IS HYPOCRISY!

Lake Como

Moves
16d

Juror: “There has been no crime established. When you are presenting a case in the opening days, you should be trying to get our attention. I will submit to you that we do not ‘see where the crime is at.’ Where is the evidence of President Trump doing wrong?”

You fellers are getting ahead of your skis. There is no crime being shown. Think deep. You will see. Do you see ‘the crime’? You are all thinking like sonnyhouse.

w

Moves
16d

@mott-the-hoople said
a one sided justice system is not hypocrisy…but your supporting going after one candidate and not the other IS HYPOCRISY!
I am not doing that.

Maybe you're right. Maybe there are inequities in our criminal justice system. Let's work on reforming it.

Über-Nerd

Moves
16d

@mott-the-hoople said
It is not necessary to show a prior conviction. What the prosecution has to show is intent to commit a further crime (such as tax fraud &/or campaign finance fraud) in having committed the first one (paying hush money and pretending it was a) a tax-deductible business expense and b) a campaign 'donation' ).

Über-Nerd

Moves
16d

@averagejoe1 said
Juror: “There has been no crime established. When you are presenting a case in the opening days, you should be trying to get our attention. I will submit to you that we do not ‘see where the crime is at.’ Where is the evidence of President Trump doing wrong?”

You fellers are getting ahead of your skis. There is no crime being shown. Think deep. You will see. Do you see ‘the crime’? You are all thinking like sonnyhouse.
See previous post.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16d

@Mott-The-Hoople
Mysterious to you with your lips firmly planted in Trump's ass, of course it would be to you since you clearly think Trump is literally above the law and fall for every POS word he pukes.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16d

@Cliff-Mashburn
Come on, Don Jr never did any of that stuff.