If men got pregnant

If men got pregnant

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 May 22

@earl-of-trumps said
@Suzianne
If men got pregnant, abortion would be legal everywhere
--------------------------

If that were the case, it would be legal to rape women. 😠
I don't see how you possibly think these two things are connected.

The right loves to speak in non sequiturs.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 May 22

@sh76 said
One second.

I thought men could get pregnant?
One could be excused for thinking you read the entire article.

But you didn't, did you?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 May 22

@sh76 said
I've been reliably informed that if you think men can't get pregnant, you might be a bigot.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/yep-trans-men-can-get-pregnant-why-calvin-kleins-ad-depicting-a-trans-family-is-causing-a-stir-211546554.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/09/pregnant-people-gender-identity/620031/
Or you could try finishing the article.

The point is, that you don't consider these men to be human either, do you?

Like women, just vessels for carrying fetuses.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 May 22

@techsouth said
@Suzianne
How dare you share this bigotry! Every decent person in 2022 knows that men can get pregnant.
Could you maybe read the article?

WAY too many men going off half-cocked around here.

(Heh, see what I did there?)

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
18 May 22
1 edit

@suzianne said
The point is, that you don't consider these men to be human either, do you?

Like women, just vessels for carrying fetuses.
Right.

I doubt my wife, 4 daughters, mother, mother-in-law and other female relatives and friends think that I consider women "just vessels for carrying fetuses."

As for what anyone else thinks...

<cue Rhett>

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

t

Garner, NC

Moves
18 May 22

@suzianne said
Could you maybe read the article?

WAY too many men going off half-cocked around here.

(Heh, see what I did there?)
Yeah Yeah.

"Trans-Men" get pregnant, but not "Real" men.

Oops!!! I let it slip. Moderator, please don't ban me from the forums!!! Thankfully this forum is anonymous, lest my employer find out I had an aberrant thought that "Trans-Men" were somehow different than other men.

I will voluntarily enter a re-education facility.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
19 May 22

@suzianne said
If men got pregnant, abortion would be legal everywhere
The concept of women deciding when, whether and how to have children, is still a threat to the status quo.

By Laurie Penny

The New Statesman, UK edition
02 Dec 2015 <--- Yes!

The seahorse is a fascinating creature. Aside from being evidence that whatever god of creation may have existed was on ...[text shortened]... versation. The fact that we still are shows how far we’ve got to go before equality becomes reality.
Utter bollocks. If men got pregnant the human race would be extinct. The pain of giving birth? No way jose!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 May 22

@shavixmir said
Utter bollocks. If men got pregnant the human race would be extinct. The pain of giving birth? No way jose!
Thus abortions on every corner. There wouldn't even be a question.

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
19 May 22

@Suzianne

If men got pregnant, there would be no war.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
19 May 22
1 edit

@moonbus said
@Suzianne

If men got pregnant, there would be no war.
I love these "if men got pregnant" chestnuts.

Throughout history, men have borne the brunt of war, individual combat, the vast majority of hard physical labor and virtually all pain and physical labor intensive activities except for childbirth. Yet all these burdens are eased only by the advent of new technologies (which have also decreased the dangers and discomforts of childbearing).

Now, I obviously don't know just how hard childbirth is, though my wife (who has given birth 6 times) says it's not as bad as a kidney stone, but I tend to doubt it's worse than hand-to-hand sword combat or more grueling than picking cotton for 10 hours a day for 60 straight days.

Both men and women have hardships, but the idea that women's hardships are inherently so much worse is silly.

rain

Moves
19 May 22
1 edit

@sh76 said
I love these "if men got pregnant" chestnuts.

Throughout history, men have borne the brunt of war, individual combat, the vast majority of hard physical labor and virtually all pain and physical labor intensive activities except for childbirth. Yet all these burdens are eased only by the advent of new technologies (which have also decreased the dangers and discomforts of chil ...[text shortened]... and women have hardships, but the idea that women's hardships are inherently so much worse is silly.
The hours of childbirth are preceded by almost a year of nausea, pain, discomfort, lack of mobility and hampered ability to sleep that are with women 24/7 during pregnancy. And this could be while they are nursing other children, on top of whatever tasks women were expected to do.

Now imagine that you get pregnant again shortly after that because because birth control didn't exist for most of history.

Then, of course, domestic abuse from family members, fathers, husbands, the ever-present threat of rape, being married off to someone you never met because for most of history marriages were agreements between tribes not a result of dating....oh, and the ever-present fear of death from childbirth.

When we lived in the stone age where wars were ever present, there is an argument that life was harder to be men. But as we get more civilized and more advanced that disparity falls clearly in favor of men. In a world of grocery stores, office jobs and military to fight out battles, those same hardships remain pretty much the same for women.

The one exception *may* be rich women; in the right family, like the Kardashians, a woman's only job is to look pretty. But even in rich societies there's no shortage of horror stories about what women go through, being treated as the property of rich men.

Moves
19 May 22

@vivify said
The hours of childbirth are preceded by almost a year of nausea, pain, discomfort, lack of mobility and hampered ability to sleep that are with women 24/7 during pregnancy. And this could be while they are nursing other children, on top of whatever tasks women were expected to do.

Now imagine that you get pregnant again shortly after that because because birth control di ...[text shortened]... o shortage of horror stories about what women go through, being treated as the property of rich men.
Speakin' of "WHATABOUTISMS":
The topic of this thread should be vehemently attacked by ol' Jimmy WhatsHisName.

Yeah...If men got pregnant...
My opinion is that would be very weird, except in blue states. Then it'd be normal.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
19 May 22

@vivify said

Now imagine that you get pregnant again shortly after that because because birth control di ...[text shortened]... o shortage of horror stories about what women go through, being treated as the property of rich men.
Fair points. Child bearing was certainly a severe hardship through history, though much less so today.

There's still, of course, zero evidence for all these half-jokes half-taunts that men are coddled while women's struggles are ignored.

Moves
19 May 22

@wajoma said
Never took the seizure syrup, never wore a mask, didn't wash my hands for 3 months when they started with the hand washing PSAs, come through it a lot better than the mask zombies and vaccine injured.
Yeah, but you don't wash your hands regardless.

Moves
19 May 22
1 edit

@suzianne said
I think Lady Liberty wouldn't mind when it is something that benefits ALL of society. But you just can't handle women getting ANYthing you don't, is that about right?

And for your information, women actually have something men don't have. It's called a uterus. And THAT is why we're even having this conversation. Until you get one, you'll never understand.

...[text shortened]... ous elderly Irish woman taxi driver in Boston, speaking to Flo Kennedy and Gloria Steinem in her cab
havent you heard?

"A Democrat witness testifying before the House Judiciary Committee on abortion rights Thursday declared that men can get pregnant and have abortions."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dem-witness-tells-house-committee-204839024.html