1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '22 12:021 edit
    If men got pregnant, abortion would be legal everywhere
    The concept of women deciding when, whether and how to have children, is still a threat to the status quo.

By Laurie Penny

The New Statesman, UK edition
    02 Dec 2015 <--- Yes!

The seahorse is a fascinating creature. Aside from being evidence that whatever god of creation may have existed was on some truly excellent hallucinogens, seahorses –Hippocampus hippocampus – are a species where the male gets pregnant. Life would be a lot more interesting if human beings had to breed like seahorses. For a start, I highly suspect that the right to terminate a pregnancy would not be under violent attack across the western world.

This past week, an armed misogynist broke into a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs and killed three people after a stand-off with police. PP is the biggest organisation offering abortion, contraception and sexual health services in the US, and it has been under sustained attack from conservative activists and politicians who will not rest until abortion is illegal.

This week, a high court judge in Belfast ruled that abortion might just be permissible in cases of rape, incest or foetal abnormality, which is a huge step forward, considering that women across Ireland are forced to carry unwanted pregnancies to term in all circumstances. Those who commit the grievous sin of having consensual sex, however, are still on their own, unless they have the funds to travel to England.

There is a pattern here. The concept of women having actual goddamned agency over their lives and bodies, the idea that we might get to decide when, whether and how to have children, is still a threat to the status quo. We grudgingly allow women to make decisions related to sex and reproduction as long as they feel an appropriate degree of guilt, and hoard that guilt away in private. Have an abortion? You’d better be sorry about it for the rest of your life. Get pregnant without a partner? Be prepared to spend 18 years explaining yourself. Leave paid work to have a child? You’re lazy, spoiled and frivolous. Carry on working after your kids are born? You’re cold, selfish. Get sterilised? You’re an unfeeling, unnatural monster. Whoever you are, if you have a uterus and dare to make a decision about what comes out of it, shame on you. Shame is the overarching theme here, shame and scorn for anyone with the temerity to behave as if their own humanity is important.

I am sick of explaining to misogynists that women are people whose choices and autonomy matter. Instead, let’s go back to considering the seahorse. Consider how different the world would be if the people with the capacity to bear children were the people society already considered fully human. Consider what would happen if men got pregnant.

If men got pregnant, abortion would be available free of charge and without restriction in every town and city on earth. No man would be expected to justify his decision to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. It would be enough for him to say, “I don’t want to have this baby.”

If men got pregnant, then pregnancy, ­labour and childcare would immediately be recognised as work and compensated as such. The entire economic basis of global capitalism would be upended overnight. After the ensuing bloodless revolution, the phrase “work-life balance” would disappear from the lexicon, along with the line, “I don’t do condoms, babe.”

If men got pregnant, “pro-life activists” would be called “forced-birth extremists”, and reviled as such by liberals, libertarians and every political movement with a claim on human freedom.

If men got pregnant, they would be considered not mere vessels for potential human life, but human beings whose agency ought to be inviolable. Men would not stand for having their basic rights to sexual freedom and personal autonomy confiscated, even if in some people’s opinion they might be committing murder. Men are often prepared to commit murder for reasons far less egregious than the occupation of their bodies by a foreign invader. There is a sizeable lobby in the United States right now that believes that people should have the right to slaughter anyone who breaks into their home, or looks the wrong way at a police officer, or does almost anything that might conceivably be considered suspicious while also being black.

If men got pregnant, they would never be told that if they did not want to conceive, they should not have sex. Major world religions would rush to reinterpret their scripture; any verses appearing to ­condemn abortion or contraception would be considered in the same light as those dooming wearers of mixed fabrics to fiery damnation eternal.

If men got pregnant, nobody would consider a man’s choice to have or not have children the defining feature of his adult life. There would be no shame in seeking sterilisation, just as there is no shame today for a man seeking a vasectomy. When a man made a decision about when and whether to have children, he would be able to count on having that decision respected, rather than being called selfish, lazy and slutty, or warned that he would “regret it some day”.

If men got pregnant, somebody would have already invented a breast pump that was fit for purpose.

If men got pregnant, they would not be forcibly penetrated with cameras and obliged to look at an ultrasound of the foetus before getting an abortion. Instead, sports channels and video games would be available in the procedure room, plus a free beer with every procedure.

If men got pregnant, pregnancy and childbirth would not be dismissed as “natural”, but treated as heroic acts of sacrifice. Forcing a man to go through either against his will would be considered the equivalent of the military draft and protested as such.

If men got pregnant, having a ‘baby belly’ would not be a source of shame. Men would show off their stretch marks and Caesarian scars like battle wounds.

If men got pregnant, pregnancy and childbirth would not be dismissed as ‘natural’, but treated as heroic acts of sacrifice. Forcing a man to go through either against his will would be considered the equivalent of military drafting and protested as such.

In point of fact, some men do get pregnant. Transsexual men have borne children, but their experience is not part of the popular understanding of reproductive rights – because people don’t get pregnant, women get pregnant, and when you get down to it, women aren’t really people. The structure of modern misogyny is still grounded on the fear that women might one day regain control of the means of reproduction and actually get to make their own decisions about the future of the human race- but you cannot force a person to give birth against their will and consider them fully human.

If men got pregnant, we would not be having this conversation. The fact that we still are shows how far we’ve got to go before equality becomes reality.
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 May '22 12:28
    @suzianne said
    If men got pregnant, abortion would be legal everywhere
    The concept of women deciding when, whether and how to have children, is still a threat to the status quo.

By Laurie Penny

The New Statesman, UK edition
    02 Dec 2015 <--- Yes!

The seahorse is a fascinating creature. Aside from being evidence that whatever god of creation may have existed was on ...[text shortened]... versation. The fact that we still are shows how far we’ve got to go before equality becomes reality.
    As sexist as it gets. Reminds me of the time zahlooney posted about a Trump supporting hispanic, he couldn't understand hispanic people having their own thoughts beliefs and ideals as individuals, somehow based on their race they all had to think alike.

And here suzi is claiming that every last woman believes the same thing. What's your hypothesis suzi, women are missing a certain area of their brain, or they have an extra 'abortion' compartment in their head that men don't have?

And we have suzi's blatant hypocrisy, when it comes to abortion, it's the womans body, it's the womans choice, but when it came to forcing untested drugs into the arms of everyone, well hello, it's not your body anymore.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 May '22 12:36
    @wajoma said
    As sexist as it gets. Reminds me of the time zahlooney posted about a Trump supporting hispanic, he couldn't understand hispanic people having their own thoughts beliefs and ideals as individuals, somehow based on their race they all had to think alike.

And here suzi is claiming that every last woman believes the same thing. What's your hypothesis suzi, women are missin ...[text shortened]... it came to forcing untested drugs into the arms of everyone, well hello, it's not your body anymore.
    Did those nasty men hold you down and stick a needle in your arm? Poor baby.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 May '22 12:40
    @kewpie said
    Did those nasty men hold you down and stick a needle in your arm? Poor baby.
    Never took the seizure syrup, never wore a mask, didn't wash my hands for 3 months when they started with the hand washing PSAs, come through it a lot better than the mask zombies and vaccine injured.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '22 12:53
    @wajoma said

And here suzi is claiming that every last woman believes the same thing. What's your hypothesis suzi, women are missin ...[text shortened]... it came to forcing untested drugs into the arms of everyone, well hello, it's not your body anymore.
    I think Lady Liberty wouldn't mind when it is something that benefits ALL of society. But you just can't handle women getting ANYthing you don't, is that about right?

And for your information, women actually have something men don't have. It's called a uterus. And THAT is why we're even having this conversation. Until you get one, you'll never understand.

"Honey, if men got pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament." --Anonymous elderly Irish woman taxi driver in Boston, speaking to Flo Kennedy and Gloria Steinem in her cab
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '22 12:55
    @wajoma said
    Never took the seizure syrup, never wore a mask, didn't wash my hands for 3 months when they started with the hand washing PSAs, come through it a lot better than the mask zombies and vaccine injured.
    So how many people did you give Covid to? You know, in the name of Liberty?
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 May '22 12:58
    @suzianne said
    So how many people did you give Covid to? You know, in the name of Liberty?
    mask zombies and jab junkies all pass on the wuflu same as everyone else. Millions of protestors around the world are vindicated.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 May '22 13:06
    @suzianne said
    I think Lady Liberty wouldn't mind when it is something that benefits ALL of society. But you just can't handle women getting ANYthing you don't, is that about right?

And for your information, women actually have something men don't have. It's called a uterus. And THAT is why we're even having this conversation. Until you get one, you'll never understand.

...[text shortened]... ous elderly Irish woman taxi driver in Boston, speaking to Flo Kennedy and Gloria Steinem in her cab
    I have an extremely liberal view on abortion, at some point during pregnancy a line is crossed, unless you believe in abortions up until hours before birth.

Do you?

My point was your sexism, we all know there are many thousands of women that oppose abortion at any stage. This is not a men versus women issue, Individual women have their own thoughts, individual men have their own thoughts. You're an extreme sexist for trying to speak for all women, to clump them all together, to remove their individuality, to assign thoughts for them, it is the very definition of sexism, and it comes from the worst sexist to lurk here at RHP.
  9. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    18 May '22 13:07
    @suzianne said. And THAT is why we're even having this conversation. Until you get one, you'll never understand.

"Honey, if men got pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament." --Anonymous elderly Irish woman taxi driver in Boston, speaking to Flo Kennedy and Gloria Steinem in her cab
    I must admit, I was wondering why. So, How bout you start a thread on, say, Biden Border Crisis, or frantic mothers with no formala. It gets no lower than that, you know.
    Or, we can hypothecate for a while. I could come up with some doozies.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '22 13:07
    @wajoma said
    mask zombies and jab junkies all pass on the wuflu same as everyone else. Millions of protestors around the world are vindicated.
    Stop obfuscating. Answer the question.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 May '22 13:09
    @suzianne said
    Stop obfuscating. Answer the question.
    Nome that I know of, I may have caught it from a mask zombie jab junky though.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '22 13:11
    @averagejoe1 said
    I must admit, I was wondering why. So, How bout you start a thread on, say, Biden Border Crisis, or frantic mothers with no formala. It gets no lower than that, you know.
    Or, we can hypothecate for a while. I could come up with some doozies.
    No thanks. Making people afraid is your schtick.

Why not try a post where you stick to actual facts?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '22 13:19
    @wajoma said
    I have an extremely liberal view on abortion, at some point during pregnancy a line is crossed, unless you believe in abortions up until hours before birth.

Do you?

My point was your sexism, we all know there are many thousands of women that oppose abortion at any stage. This is not a men versus women issue, Individual women have their own thoughts, individual men hav ...[text shortened]... r them, it is the very definition of sexism, and it comes from the worst sexist to lurk here at RHP.
    The fact remains, that the world would be a very different place, where Roe v Wade is not needed, if men got pregnant.

That was my point in posting this article, not all this yada-yada you're throwing around.
  14. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 May '22 13:21
    @suzianne said
    The fact remains, that the world would be a very different place, where Roe v Wade is not needed, if men got pregnant.

That was my point in posting this article, not all this yada-yada you're throwing around.
    Claiming all people think a certain way based on their race = racist. (zahlooney)
    Claiming all people think a certain way based on their sex = sexist (suzi)
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    18 May '22 13:27
    @wajoma said
    Nome that I know of, I may have caught it from a mask zombie jab junky though.
    You certainly caught stupidity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree