Black Lives Matter Demands White People Give Up Their Homes

Black Lives Matter Demands White People Give Up Their Homes

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
17 Aug 20

@averagejoe1 said
Natural Progression is indeed natural. Supply and demand comes to mind. The constitution does not get into the business of government being involved in housing, where people live, etc. A person sets out to establish his or her living conditions, in this land of opportunity. (Residences) are available in many forms and fashions, to pick from. A $100 room to let, or a $2 ...[text shortened]... it, and not having children until he can afford it.
Why is the government in this discussion.
$100 room? Right. 😆

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 Aug 20

@averagejoe1 said
Natural Progression is indeed natural. Supply and demand comes to mind. The constitution does not get into the business of government being involved in housing, where people live, etc.
Isn't there something about the "Pursuit of Happiness" or did I dream that?

Lake Como

Moves
17 Aug 20

@athousandyoung said
$100 room? Right. 😆
Well, I am assuming a little creativity, like roommates to share rates, working out arrangements with landlords to reduce the rate, etc etc. True, $100 is not realistic, but you can find a place to rent for not much more than that. 2 guys at $200 each can find a nice $400 property. Just sayin

Lake Como

Moves
17 Aug 20

@wolfgang59 said
Isn't there something about the "Pursuit of Happiness" or did I dream that?
Don't get your point. Pursing happiness, though, means you should have a right to try to get happy. It doesn't mean one has a right to have someone else, or government, be sure you are happy. Surely you agree with that?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Aug 20

@AverageJoe1
Substitute Health for Happy, what about that? Do you figure government should not help ANYONE for any reason? If so, why bother to have a national government at all?

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
17 Aug 20

@averagejoe1 said
Don't get your point. Pursing happiness, though, means you should have a right to try to get happy. It doesn't mean one has a right to have someone else, or government, be sure you are happy. Surely you agree with that?
ya, if your idea of being happy is whacking someone with an icepick, lol, then
I guess you don't have that 'right'. 😆

Lake Como

Moves
18 Aug 20
1 edit

@sonhouse said
@AverageJoe1
Substitute Health for Happy, what about that? Do you figure government should not help ANYONE for any reason? If so, why bother to have a national government at all?
Let the turning point, on all seminal issues, be the Constitution. Do you not agree with that? Do you know that health care is not mentioned in the Constitution? Not one word.

You know, if it DID say 'Life, liberty and the pursuit of Health', it would not change a thikng...it would be saying to pursue (good) health. OK...substitute 'Happy' with 'Health". We all have a right to pursue healthfulness, good health. I go to a gym, pursuing good health. If Mr Smith can't afford a gym, I am thinking that you are suggesting that the government pay for his membership? A simple question.

Why have a government? To have agencies like FDA to confirm healthy drugs and food....the FAA to keep planes safe in the skies. OSHA to keep buildings safe. To have military. The average citizen cannot do what they do, which is for our universal protection. The average citizen DOES have a responsibility for his own health. You don't seriously think the government should guarantee and pay for my private doctor, do you? What about the fire insurance premium on my house? I need a car to get to work. Can't afford one. Should the government give me one? Seriously. You see, the squad and all of your other dear leaders think that indeed, I should have a right to all that. So do you, it appears.
Carry on. We can thresh it all out in November.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Aug 20

@averagejoe1 said
Do you know that health care is not mentioned in the Constitution? Not one word.

'Life, liberty and the pursuit
One word: "Life"

Lake Como

Moves
18 Aug 20

@wolfgang59 said
One word: "Life"
If we are going to parse that phrase, I would go for liberty over life, so we can just disagree, I guess. If y'all do win, are you really going to take my house? Will someone who hasn't worked as hard as I have actually end up with my house? It is a really valuable house. A fair question.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
18 Aug 20

@averagejoe1 said
If we are going to parse that phrase, I would go for liberty over life, so we can just disagree, I guess. If y'all do win, are you really going to take my house? Will someone who hasn't worked as hard as I have actually end up with my house? It is a really valuable house. A fair question.
Nobody want to take the house you live in.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
18 Aug 20

@averagejoe1 said
Let the turning point, on all seminal issues, be the Constitution. Do you not agree with that? Do you know that health care is not mentioned in the Constitution? Not one word.

You know, if it DID say 'Life, liberty and the pursuit of Health', it would not change a thikng...it would be saying to pursue (good) health. OK...substitute 'Happy' with 'Health". We all ...[text shortened]... ve a right to all that. So do you, it appears.
Carry on. We can thresh it all out in November.
Your constitution is hundreds of years old.
It predates trains, cars, antibiotics, most of science, automatic rifles, etc.

It was written in a time so far removed from our own, that it can’t fathom industrialized genocides, pandemics spreading world-wide within days, nuclear weapons, the internet, women voting, etc.

So to let it be the turning point on all seminal issues is ridiculous.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
18 Aug 20
1 edit

@averagejoe1 said
Natural Progression is indeed natural. Supply and demand comes to mind. The constitution does not get into the business of government being involved in housing, where people live, etc. A person sets out to establish his or her living conditions, in this land of opportunity. (Residences) are available in many forms and fashions, to pick from. A $100 room to let, or a $2 ...[text shortened]... it, and not having children until he can afford it.
Why is the government in this discussion.
Large property portfolios in private hands have nothing to do with supply and demand. You can replace them with large publicly owned portfolios without effecting either.
You keep intimating that it’s natural to want to own your own home and I agree. But I’d rather live in a well maintained affordable publicly owned property while I save for that house. Regulation of the private rented sector just doesn’t work because it clashes with the obvious profit motive of the landlord.
I think own to rent can be equitable for small portfolios because the smaller landlord has an incentive to maintain his / her two or three properties and encourage long term residency by forming a good relationship with the tenant.
It’s the large faceless venture capital portfolios that are good for the office and mall building sectors but disastrous for the private powerless tenant.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Aug 20

@averagejoe1 said
I would go for liberty over life,
Doesn't say that in the Constitution.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Aug 20

@athousandyoung said
Nobody want to take the house you live in.
Especially with AverageJoe living in it!

Lake Como

Moves
18 Aug 20

@kevcvs57 said
Large property portfolios in private hands have nothing to do with supply and demand. You can replace them with large publicly owned portfolios without effecting either.
You keep intimating that it’s natural to want to own your own home and I agree. But I’d rather live in a well maintained affordable publicly owned property while I save for that house. Regulation of the pri ...[text shortened]... t are good for the office and mall building sectors but disastrous for the private powerless tenant.
Help! Well, I do give credit to Shav, for confirming his opinion that the Constitution be set aside, to be replaced by government regulations. Ironic, though, because reducing regulations in the last 3 years is what caused our economic explosion. And then, you write "publicly owned,' and 'regulation', and 'profit motive'. Does that not give us all pause? Realize that the money you spent today was derived at some point by profit. But then, why would libs need profit/money if they just take what they want? Is that the plan? I have no idea of the liberal plan. I do know that it is taking hold in Portland, though. Far out, to quote John Denver.
Limiting a landlord to 'two or three properties'?? Limit production of Henry Ford and Steve Jobs? All due respects, I think you are not thinking this though. Let Americans run free (liberty, mentioned above). Elon Musk's (Tesla genius) next idea is to send garbage into space. Environmentalists should encourage him. Don't choke Elon. Or, is your authoritarian government going to pick-and-choose which folks can run free. Brrrrr as I used to say.

I'm afraid I don't understand your last sentence. Anyway, I have to be careful because my partner got kicked out for about 3 years for expressing some opinion, I want to be around November 3 so that y'all will have someone to kick around!