Games Explorer

Games Explorer

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
05 Feb 07

Originally posted by UndeadNightOrc
I must say this tool is quite educational for folks learning the game like me. It just cemented my decision to stay here on RHP! I certainly hope it becomes a permanent fixture on this site!

A question though... does every game played by 1400 rated players and over get automatically entered into the database? Because one thing that could happen is ...[text shortened]... f a snowball effect, if you know what mean.

Other than that, Explorer is darn near perfect!
I choose the highest win ratio in favour of my colour. This will lead to growth in a similar way - but not necessarily always favouring the top move.

In theory if everyone played this way, would the perfect game eventually be found?

Site Admin

Wimbledon

Moves
06 Feb 07
4 edits

Originally posted by Fnugbatter
Very nice tool :-)

A strange thing happens when I input the moves 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 c5 4. exd5 cxd4 Here the pawns on d4 and d5 flip flop colours!
Wow - that is a shock - I will examine and fix.

Edit: I have located the problem. Comically it is to do with non-case-sensitive MySQL queries when looking up fens.

I am currently generating a new set of data and the problem will be corrected when I import the new data.

Site Admin

Wimbledon

Moves
06 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Diet Coke
I have 750 games now and none of them on games explorer!:'(
The next full update of the database will occur around about the end of February.

From then on there will be regular updates.

We will also add some of the improvements to the Games Explorer at the same time.

H
Finish Him!!!

Chess Club HQ

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by Chris
The next full update of the database will occur around about the end of February.

We will also add some of the improvements to the Games Explorer at the same time.
Thanks Chris.

Is there gonna be a link to the explorer added soon?

z

Moves
09 Feb 07
1 edit

Are you going to manage to put set piece games (in particular games from thematic tournaments) in there?

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
09 Feb 07

Excellent!😀

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Feb 07

New bug:

In this position: http://tinyurl.com/2rfqq8, it says for players 1900+ there is only one game where f4 has been played. ( franz007at 0-1 derek9037 )

Click on 1400+. There are 8 games where f4 has been played. Click on f4. Click on 1900+ again. It now says that no games have progressed beyond this position. (This is false, the game above did!)

c

Moves
16 Feb 07

Does anybody have any idea why random games are omitted from the Games Explorer? Many of my games aren't on there - including games with both players rated over 1400 - one where my opponent was rated 2000+.

m

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by UndeadNightOrc
I must say this tool is quite educational for folks learning the game like me. It just cemented my decision to stay here on RHP! I certainly hope it becomes a permanent fixture on this site!

A question though... does every game played by 1400 rated players and over get automatically entered into the database? Because one thing that could happen is ...[text shortened]... f a snowball effect, if you know what mean.

Other than that, Explorer is darn near perfect!
I agree it's an amazing tool, one I never expected to see appear on the site, but which I am already using all the time.

About the snowball effect, I think there are two things which could help counter that trend. First is the existence of the 1900+ games filter. Presumably, one can't reach a rating over 1900 by blindly following the most common moves in a database, so looking at only the 1900+ games should give you a better picture of how good players handle a given situation without extreme skewing for the top few choices. Secondly, people playing into positions they don't understand will decrease the win percentage for that move, which, in turn, will make the move less desirable, even if it's very common, and people will turn to less common moves with better win percentages.

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
23 Feb 07

I continue the wishlist here 😏 😵
It would be nice to have a link in the gamehistory to the gamesexplorer with the game's current position. In MySettings I choose eg "+1900 and GM" and so I just see the GM and >1900 games. A quick link to "all games of this RHP-opponent with this position" would be nice as well.
Possible?
Not Christmas. 🙁
th

i

Moves
23 Feb 07

Fantastic, there is now a link to the explorer from your games, so you can see if your current position is in the database. Great work!

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by ilywrin
Fantastic, there is now a link to the explorer from your games, so you can see if your current position is in the database. Great work!
That's a result of using one of Ouroboros' greasemonkey scripts for Firefox.

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by ilywrin
This highlights the problem with thematic games though. It's a real pain not being able to copy the pgn of thematic games into analysis software. Positions from thematic games don't show up as results in the Explorer either.

Would it be possible to make the pgn for thematic games to be made complete in some way? Ie: as though the game started on move 5 after 1. e4, etc.

D

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
24 Feb 07
1 edit

New bug: Go to http://tinyurl.com/2vuw27, and play 'c4'.

A singular game pops up with a completely different position.

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
25 Feb 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
That's a result of using one of Ouroboros' greasemonkey scripts for Firefox.
D
So this is not for everybody, right? Will this come one day, Chris?
Thanks,
Thomas