1. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '19 12:09
    Can someone inform me of what the various tournament types are? Such as “Octet”, “Mini-duel” and the like? I’m thinking about joining one, but don’t want to get swamped with games. Please point me to a FAQ or earlier post if that’s more efficient.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 11:421 edit
    @FastEddieB

When reviewing the open tournaments check the "Grp" (Group) column which will indicate the size of the group and therefore the number of games in each round.

So, an octet tournament ( for example, Tournament 31325) will show each player with one game as white, one game as black.

Competing against 8 players will result in a maximum of 7 white games and 7 black games in each round.

If you progress to the next round, you will again receive a similar number of games.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 11:45
    @fasteddieb said
    Can someone inform me of what the various tournament types are? Such as “Octet”, “Mini-duel” and the like? I’m thinking about joining one, but don’t want to get swamped with games. Please point me to a FAQ or earlier post if that’s more efficient.
    Click on a tournament and look at the group size.
    If it's 8 for example you will get 14 games whereas if its only 2 you'll just get 2 games.
    Simple formula: group size -1 *2.
    The group size will only vary when there's an odd number in the round, such as if an uneven number of players go into the next round as a result of draws
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 11:46
    In RHP Tournament parlance :

"mini" means 'small number of entrants'. These tend to fill and start relatively quickly.

"hardcore" generally refers to lack of timeout period (players use timebank only)
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 11:48
    @venda

Thanks for answering - despite sitting unanswered for a while, we both jumped in at the same time there.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 Jun '19 10:12
    @russ said
    @venda

Thanks for answering - despite sitting unanswered for a while, we both jumped in at the same time there.
    ok
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 00:40
    @venda said
    Click on a tournament and look at the group size.
    If it's 8 for example you will get 14 games whereas if its only 2 you'll just get 2 games.
    Simple formula: group size -1 *2.
    The group size will only vary when there's an odd number in the round, such as if an uneven number of players go into the next round as a result of draws
    Your simple formula is (group size - 1)*2.

This is not just semantics, there's a difference.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree