My Handicapped Tournament

My Handicapped Tournament

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

Moves
13 Feb 09

It looks like Carterson timed out his game, unless I'm missing something?

Moves
14 Feb 09

Originally posted by Jasen777
It looks like Carterson timed out his game, unless I'm missing something?
no this is the case. i won't lie i wanted this and all games to be played out to a finish but sunburnt knew the time controls and has no excuse for moving so slowly so Carterson will advance to the next round.

only one game left now. i think there's about 10 moves let in it so the next round might get under way within a couple of weeks, if not sooner.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
16 Feb 09
1 edit

post deleted

Moves
16 Feb 09

Originally posted by trev33
no this is the case. i won't lie i wanted this and all games to be played out to a finish but sunburnt knew the time controls and has no excuse for moving so slowly so Carterson will advance to the next round.

only one game left now. i think there's about 10 moves let in it so the next round might get under way within a couple of weeks, if not sooner.
it's seems by 'caterson timed out his game' he went that caterson lose on time, i took it to mean caterson took the time out, either way whoever won the game goes through. my bad.

J

Moves
16 Feb 09

My bad.

J

Moves
27 Feb 09

Badmoon resigned his game, even though it looked like he was going to be able to hold his opponent off for the move limit - maybe he forgot it was a handicap game.

Moves
28 Feb 09

Badmoon resigned his game, even though it looked like he was going to be able to hold his opponent off for the move limit - maybe he forgot it was a handicap game.
i think that's them all finished then.

i'll get the second round matches out in the middle of the week.

J

Moves
09 Mar 09

bump

Moves
10 Mar 09

bump
i'm on it, expect an pm of the next round details later today, sorry for the delay.

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
11 Mar 09

Game 6095581

My game against Emashi just finished. She was unable to checkmate me in 32 moves. In looking through my archive of games, the longest I've lasted against a 2000+ player was 44 moves and in that game I wasn't just playing defense.

I think in fairness, the higher-rated player should have a minimum of 40 moves to checkmate, unless the evidence from your other handicap matches suggests otherwise.

Thanks for including me in this round.

Steve

E

In Jim's arms

Moves
11 Mar 09

I enjoyed the game.

Thanks for the tourney

Moves
13 Mar 09

Originally posted by sbacat
Game 6095581

My game against Emashi just finished. She was unable to checkmate me in 32 moves. In looking through my archive of games, the longest I've lasted against a 2000+ player was 44 moves and in that game I wasn't just playing defense.

I think in fairness, the higher-rated player should have a minimum of 40 moves to checkmate, unless the ev ...[text shortened]... other handicap matches suggests otherwise.

Thanks for including me in this round.

Steve
but the 2000+ player wasn't going for the kill xe was just going for the win. the purpose of this was to make the 'better' player use their imagination and go for the win as quickly as possible completely forgetting the laws of defence.

it's a learning experience this one but so far it's been pretty even, i think 7-5 in favor of the lower rated player, possible 6-6 i can't remember.

i'll see what way it turns out this round but i'm going to rethink certain tiers. for example i think a 1500 will have less trouble beating a 1000 than a 2000 will have beating a 1500 so i have to set the limits so it's fair for everyone.

btw congrats on your win.

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
13 Mar 09

Originally posted by trev33
btw congrats on your win.
Thanks. I definitely agree with your point on the differences between a 1000 v 1500 and a 1500 v 2000. You'd think a 1000 would be more likely to not see an attack coming than the 1500 would. Emashi used an opening I was unfamiliar with, but I at least can look 2 to 3 moves out to figure out where the vectors of vulnerability are. When she told me that she couldn't checkmate me in 32 moves, I was on the verge of having to trade a rook for a bishop to buy a couple more moves.

Are there any players in this current round where the 1500 player is the Goliath?

Thanks again for the tournie,
Steve

Moves
13 Mar 09

Originally posted by sbacat
Thanks. I definitely agree with your point on the differences between a 1000 v 1500 and a 1500 v 2000. You'd think a 1000 would be more likely to not see an attack coming than the 1500 would. Emashi used an opening I was unfamiliar with, but I at least can look 2 to 3 moves out to figure out where the vectors of vulnerability are. When she told me that she co ...[text shortened]... is current round where the 1500 player is the Goliath?

Thanks again for the tournie,
Steve
there's a couple yes, myself included. there was quite a few 1400-1700 people who advanced from the last round, so i'll definitely look at different rating handicaps for different tiers of rating next time. maybe 25 points for 1 move taken off for the higher ratings, i'm not sure.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
16 Mar 09
1 edit

I have resigned Game 6097015, not being able to win within the 34-move handicap. I must admit, given the caliber of my opponent that I never really expected to win. However, it was a fun game, and though there were a few positions where I thought and hoped my opponent would blunder. Unfortunatly, he didn't fall for any of them.

In the final position, I had a forced mate. However it would have taken me another 6 or 7 moves, which I did not have. Good job, Jasen77