King's Gambit Tournament

King's Gambit Tournament

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

my island

Moves
20 Aug 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
My early prediction for the tournament is Dragon Fire and I in the finals, with me winning. 😵 Trust me, it's going to happen!
i think GambitAccepted, he should be used to playing these sorts of games.

c

Moves
20 Aug 06

Originally posted by trevor33
i think GambitAccepted, he should be used to playing these sorts of games.
I don't think he's a KG player though.

m
Y.N.W.A

Athens

Moves
20 Aug 06

Originally posted by trevor33
we can only hope 😉
Right,

From now until the tournie starts, i'm going to read up on everything to do with the thingy's gambit...............

E
YNWA

Moves
20 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by millerman
Right,

From now until the tournie starts, i'm going to read up on everything to do with the thingy's gambit...............
Apparently there's a scene in 'From Russia with Love' where there are two chaps playing chess where the King's Gambit is used - get yourself down the video store!

m
Y.N.W.A

Athens

Moves
20 Aug 06

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
Apparently there's a scene in 'From Russia with Love' where there are two chaps playing chess where the King's Gambit is used - get yourself down the video store!
Is that the one with the Underwater Lotus??

If it is, i'll phone ahead and reserve myself a copy........

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
20 Aug 06
2 edits

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
The game from that movie was from the 23 move masterpiece Spassky vs Bronstein. In the movie, they removed a couple of pawns from the actual game position for aesthetic reasons - in the game, the combination would not have actually worked had those pawns been removed!

Edit: Here is the actual game:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1034110

c

Moves
21 Aug 06

Originally posted by Yuga
The game from that movie was from the 23 move masterpiece Spassky vs Bronstein. In the movie, they removed a couple of pawns from the actual game position for aesthetic reasons - in the game, the combination would not have actually worked had those pawns been removed!

Edit: Here is the actual game:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1034110
I didn't see the scene, but apparently the pawns on d4 and c5 were the ones removed.

c

Moves
21 Aug 06

I didn't see the scene, but apparently the pawns on d4 and c5 were the ones removed.
The tournament's filled, make your bets who will win it?!

B
Achiever

Atlanta, GA, USA

Moves
21 Aug 06

This is gonna be a blast. Talk about uncharted territory - I have played it quite a few times, but I have never defended a KG in my life...

Good luck to all.

BV

c

Moves
21 Aug 06

Originally posted by BillyVoltaire
This is gonna be a blast. Talk about uncharted territory - I have played it quite a few times, but I have never defended a KG in my life...

Good luck to all.

BV
BTW: In case anybody doesn't know, the KG clan needs members, especially those that want to play in the upcoming clan league.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
21 Aug 06

My early prediction for the tournament is Dragon Fire and I in the finals, with me winning. 😵 Trust me, it's going to happen!
I am flattered to think you propose me for the final when I have only been playing the Kings Gambit for 12 months.

If I do get there then I will have to beat you solidly.

I just have to find a plan for black considering his poor starting position in this tournament. It is a shame to have to start half my games from a lost position.

z

Moves
21 Aug 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire

I just have to find a plan for black considering his poor starting position in this tournament. It is a shame to have to start half my games from a lost position.
You can say that again. There is a reason I don't respond to e4 with e5 and this is it. I must say that this is a wretched position for black =)

Oh and there is no way cmsMaster will win this because I will!! Actually JamJamJoe and Yuga both provide formidible obstacles (others too, but I have played them enough or reviewed enough of their games to be particularily concerned).

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
21 Aug 06

What are you talking about? 🙂

KG Accepted is preferable than KG Declined for black (at least statistically). Black has to be careful not to let white regain the gambit pawn too easily. The most criticial line is probably 1 e4 e5 2 f4 exf 3 Nf3 g5. (3. Bc4 is fine...I recall that 3...Qh4+ may be premature according to Winning Chess Openings by Schiller). The Muzio lines look the sharpest and very exciting for both sides, although of course the best white can do with accurate play by both sides is attain equality for the N sac.

Fischer's "bust" to the KG is not really a bust - the reason nobody ever played the KG against Fischer because Fischer responded to 1 e4 with 1...c5 for the rest of his life! (1 e4 e5 2 f4 exf 3 Nf3 d6 - fine move covering the critical e5 square occupied by the Knight in other lines...but his plan does not constitute a bust.)

"Fischer's Bust to the KG"

http://www.academicchess.org/Games/chessviewer/Fisherbustkingsgambit.shtml

Take a look at the games of Northern Lad for KG play - his 18 move miniature over Yozzer is pretty cool. 🙂 The Morphy miniatures are aesthetically pleasing to play through.

There are soooo many exciting KG games out there. The one below is possibly my favorite.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1075495

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
21 Aug 06

What I would like to see at the end of this tournament is some stats for white Games Played W - D - L.

Then for the games won as white how many were W - D - L as black.

We can then adjust whites % somehow to reflect the fact that the better players will win with both W & B and get a definitive answer to how good the KGA is at RHPs level of play.

Over to a mathematican out there!

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
21 Aug 06
1 edit

What I would like to see at the end of this tournament is some stats for white Games Played W - D - L.

Then for the games won as white how many were W - D - L as black.
I enjoy statistics and I decided to calculate the percentages for the KG accepted opening using the database at chessgames.com. I was thinking of all the Greco and Morphy wins in this opening system, and I also thought that naturally white may perform better statistically. (Greco only recorded the games he won and Morphy has only one loss in 29 games in the KG accepted opening.)

King’s Gambit Accepted (C33-C39)
Number of games in database: 4774
Years covered: 1590 - 2006
Overall record:
White wins 44.6% (2127 games)
Black wins 39.3%(1875 games)
Draws 16.2% (772 games)