Atri

Atri

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by sbacat
Yes, exactly. The last four wins in my chart are timeout victories against him. Flatline. Zero points gained. In future banded tournaments where he competes, all of the other players risk losing 40+ points per game against a possible gain of zero points.

[b]Who
is harmed by this stunt?

If this kind of stunt is not against the rules, shouldn't it be?[/b]
No one is harmed. I think you're being a little over the top.

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
No one is harmed. I think you're being a little over the top.
I started off thinking this was kind of a bizarre, but mildly amusing act of self-destruction. But if this guy is in every banded tournament I want to enter for the next several months that kind of takes some of the fun out of things.

There are people who would have entered those tournaments where Atri took a seat but did not play.

In most of those 2,000+ games he took on, somebody would have taken that game and did their level best to offer a better game to the opponent than that opponent got.

And in every future tournament he enters, he'll be asking all of his opponents to wager their 40+ points per game against his zero points.

This is a sandbagger/meltdown artist in the extreme and I'm certainly not the only one pointing out that reforms are called for to avoid this kind of behavior in the future.

I see harm.

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
26 May 09
1 edit

Games in progress: 1847
Rating: 703
Tournament entry rating: 1602
Moves this month: 6771
Vacation days left: 0?

Having flown too close to the sun, our hero hurtles Earthward, his wings no more - mere molten wax and feathers scattered upon the four winds. Or does he partake more of the character of Sisyphus than of Icarus? Will he now trudge to the foot of his burdensome hill, there to begin yet again his lonely ascent, pushing the boulder of his rating before him?

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by Blackamp
Games in progress: 1847
Rating: 703
Moves this month: 6771
Vacation days left: [b]0?

Having flown too close to the sun, our hero hurtles Earthward, his wings no more - mere molten wax and feathers scattered upon the four winds. Or does he partake more of the character of Sisyphus than of Icarus? Will he now trudg ...[text shortened]... burdensome hill, there to begin his lonely ascent, pushing the boulder of his rating before him?[/b]
I expect him to be more Phoenix than Icarus. Icarus I wouldn't mind...

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by jb70
So everyone in the 1600 tournament he beats or draws against will be hammered for points because he goes in at rating 700, but plays like 1600.Anyone in the same tournament who beats him get very few if any rating points.Honest players therefore will pick up the tab for his stunt.That can not be fair.It will also result in tournaments he enters being slower to fill.
That problem can be solved by only allowing those within say 90% of the tournament rating limits being allowed to join. It would certainly limit sandbagging.

For a 1700-1800 tournament anyone currenlty rated less than 1530 (90% of the lower limit) would be unable to join.

It doesn't stop them entering banded tournaments and then timing out like crazy but it does stop them doing so in future.

It also doesn't prevent them entering unbanded tournaments.

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by adramforall
That problem can be solved by only allowing those within say 90% of the tournament rating limits being allowed to join. It would certainly limit sandbagging.

For a 1700-1800 tournament anyone currenlty rated less than 1530 (90% of the lower limit) would be unable to join.

It doesn't stop them entering banded tournaments and then timing out like cr ...[text shortened]... s stop them doing so in future.

It also doesn't prevent them entering unbanded tournaments.
Well, there's a lot of buzz going on in the forums and I've seen some pretty creative ideas popping up here and there.

I'm hoping something useful comes out of it all. I started out thinking this was funny. Maybe I'll get back to there again.

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
27 May 09

Games in progress: 1794
Rating: 661
Moves this month: 6780
Vacation days left: 0?

The decline continues. This is like watching one of those wildlife documentaries in which the once magnificent lion, now old and toothless, lies down for the final time, too apathetic to even growl at the circling hyenas lusting after his flesh.

T
F**k the EU, IMF,WB

Moves
27 May 09

Rating 644 2705/09

T
F**k the EU, IMF,WB

Moves
27 May 09

He graph has nearly flatlined

SS

Moves
27 May 09

Moves
27 May 09

When is the movie coming out ?

T
F**k the EU, IMF,WB

Moves
27 May 09

He's on the rise again timing out some games,🙂

g

Moves
27 May 09

I counted down the seconds to my timeout. I'll never enter a tournament with him again. It was hard enough for me getting up to the heady heights that I'm at now without some ass dragging my rating down by playing with a far lower rating than they warrant.

Moves
28 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by gearoidmm
I'll never enter a tournament with him again.
Personally I don't care about the rating but I have been fussing about this person from the beginning - if you could only enter a tournament without him! That's the problem - he entered every tournament and played no chess. So, I haven't entered any tournaments in a while - why did I subscribe? Surely not to watch this pathetic display.

c

Moves
28 May 09

its funny yet sad how you let one person control what you want to do! Grow up, and jump in the tourneys! It shouldnt matter who is in them. Just Play!