2008 Championship

2008 Championship

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
the walrus

an English garden

Moves
16 Dec 08

Originally posted by ItsYouThatIAdore
I dont think Korch has much of a chance now, he needs to pull off two wins against gatecrasher, and that is the only way he can do it. He only has the two games left, since the rest of his games are against engine users... it looks like gatecrasher will most likely win the 2008 championship!

This game really hurt Korch's chances of winning
Game 5436005
Didn't see that one. I thought Korch was winning when I looked at it, just goes to show how much I know.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
16 Dec 08

I dont think Korch has much of a chance now, he needs to pull off two wins against gatecrasher, and that is the only way he can do it. He only has the two games left, since the rest of his games are against engine users... it looks like gatecrasher will most likely win the 2008 championship!

This game really hurt Korch's chances of winning
Game 5436005
That game is real pain.... At the beginning I got bad position and tried to get some practical chances with pawn sacrifice. Then my opponent did not play too precious and i got some counter chances, but after 34...Nxd6? (after 34...Nxg3! 35.hxg3 Qh5+ 36.Kg1 Rd1 black has at least draw) my position became hopeless....

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
17 Dec 08
1 edit

... it looks like gatecrasher will most likely win the 2008 championship!
GC has been close to the title before ... in fact you could make a VERY strong case that GC should be the winner of last year's championship also.

With (almost) everyone else being removed for engine use you have to assume there has been intense scrutiny, and start wondering ... then thinking ... "Oh my god! GC is a human!"

I don't think I will get banned for this ... It is not aginst site rules to accuse a super strong player of being a human.

D

Moves
17 Dec 08

Originally posted by flexmore
... It is not aginst site rules to accuse a super strong player of being a human.
Maybe we just accuse everyone of this, and see who objects...

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
17 Dec 08

I think there are some players left who would object to being accused of being human

k
Patently Geeky

US Midwest

Moves
18 Dec 08

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
Yeah, that queen manouvre is quite subtle and deadly with the threat of mate via Qxh6 and also Nxd6, leading to a winning endgame.

This game will also have a bearing on the final score: Game 5435980
If gatecrasher were to lose both games to Korch and lose or draw this one then he could be caught.
From what I see Gatecrasher will get six points from his games against phatboy bringing him to 55 points versus Korch's current max possible points of 57.

It sure looks game Game 5436015 is going to end in a draw unless a timeout issue occurs. This would give Gatecrasher an extra point bringing his total to 56 and lowering Korch's maximum score to 55 points giving Gatekeeper the win regardless of what happens in the other two games.

Of course the challenge is that Korch has an extra ten days of time bank over Gatekeeper.

Now, if Gatekeeper wins against me in game Game 5435980 , he wins the tournament, or if he wins against Korch in game Game 5435981 he wins.

Looks like it's Gatekeeper's tournament to lose.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
19 Dec 08

Originally posted by kwgoodwin
From what I see Gatecrasher will get six points from his games against phatboy bringing him to 55 points versus Korch's current max possible points of 57.

It sure looks game Game 5436015 is going to end in a draw unless a timeout issue occurs. This would give Gatecrasher an extra point bringing his total to 56 and lowering Korch's maximum score t ...[text shortened]... orch in game Game 5435981 he wins.

Looks like it's Gatekeeper's tournament to lose.
Now I have no chances anymore.....

r
the walrus

an English garden

Moves
19 Dec 08

Gatecrasher repeats as site champion! Congratulations!

S

Los Angeles

Moves
24 Dec 08

If detected cheats lost their points from wins & draws in this tournament, then why shouldn't we gain points 'lost' from them, or at the very least, take all points from those games away from everyone? In other words, why should losing and drawing with detected cheats be used against us in points?

Note: Korch "lost" 6 points from drawn games with banned players in this tourney, whereas the current points leader didn't lose any points from them simply because they were banned before any of the games were concluded.

Doesn't make sense to me, nor does it give me much confidence in the 2009 site championships.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
24 Dec 08

Originally posted by SlyArmenian
If detected cheats lost their points from wins & draws in this tournament, then why shouldn't we gain points 'lost' from them, or at the very least, take all points from those games away from everyone? In other words, why should losing and drawing with detected cheats be used against us in points?

Note: Korch "lost" 6 points from drawn games with ban ...[text shortened]... n't make sense to me, nor does it give me much confidence in the 2009 site championships.
I agree completely.

I think the only reason things are done this way is because it is so much simpler to program. A similar situation occurred last year where the outcome would have been different had the points been equitably redistributed after the initial "winner" was banned.

As things stand, I have 18 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses for 57 points. Korch has 15 wins, 8 draws and 1 loss for 53 points.

Excluding games against banned players, I have 10 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses for 33 points. Korch has 10 wins, 5 draws and 1 loss for 35 points.

The latter outcome is a better reflection of the what really happened.

I didn't feel I was playing well enough to win the tournament. I "won" because work pressure and then a holiday resulted in me playing very slowly in the early part of the final round, so that all my games were still in progress when the bannings occurred.

Given the many bannings, and the scoring inequality, this has not been the most satisfying of tournaments.

m
Dosadi Survivor

Chicago

Moves
24 Dec 08

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
I agree completely.

I think the only reason things are done this way is because it is so much simpler to program. A similar situation occurred last year where the outcome would have been different had the points been equitably redistributed after the initial "winner" was banned.

As things stand, I have 18 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses for 57 points. ...[text shortened]... bannings, and the scoring inequality, this has not been the most satisfying of tournaments.
Interestingly enough, if the points from the cheats simply disappeared then Alice's Dad would be the site champion if he gets at least a draw from Tchex.

Alices Dad: 11 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses for 35 points with one game remaining.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
24 Dec 08

Originally posted by misterrigel
Interestingly enough, if the points from the cheats simply disappeared then Alice's Dad would be the site champion if he gets at least a draw from Tchex.

Alices Dad: 11 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses for 35 points with one game remaining.
Well spotted. Alices's Dad played very fast throughout, so was the most badly disadvantaged by the bans.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
25 Dec 08

Given the disaster that both the 2007 and 2008 Championships were, the site would be well-advised to stop having yearly championships.

r
the walrus

an English garden

Moves
25 Dec 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
Given the disaster that both the 2007 and 2008 Championships were, the site would be well-advised to stop having yearly championships.
I don't think that this has graduated to the level of "disaster" just yet.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
25 Dec 08

Whoever the real champion is, there will only be one "peoples champion" : User 129057