2008 Championship

2008 Championship

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
28 Sep 08

Nice to know a player is a non engine as well.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Oct 08

A couple of "Grandmaster draws" between phatboy666 and Joester. The game with PB as Black looks like he had a clear endgame advantage.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
03 Oct 08
1 edit

I think both games were good endgames, although Joester is not the type whose rating is going to stagnate around 2100 - he will be well over 2200 by the time he peaks, and phatboy probably knew that as well.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Oct 08

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
I think both games were good endgames, although Joester is not the type whose rating is going to stagnate around 2100 - he will be well over 2200 by the time he peaks, and phatboy probably knew that as well.
All the more reason to attempt to win a game you have an endgame advantage in.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
04 Oct 08

Unless they did not know there was an advantage to be had...?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Oct 08

Unless they did not know there was an advantage to be had...?
http://www.timeforchess.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=5436117

It seems to me that Black's more active Rooks and outside pawn majority are an endgame advantage. Granted, the engines I have almost all rate this as a 0.00 but I'd be curious to hear the assessment of some of our higher rated OTB players.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
04 Oct 08
2 edits

Originally posted by no1marauder
http://www.timeforchess.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=5436117

It seems to me that Black's more active Rooks and outside pawn majority are an endgame advantage. Granted, the engines I have almost all rate this as a 0.00 but I'd be curious to hear the assessment of some of our higher rated OTB players.
I agree with no1marauder`s evaluation. In normal circumstances as Black I would play for win, especially against lower rated player.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
12 Oct 08
1 edit

Of Course you would, Korch...

Game 5436025

You cant even play for a win with white, let alone black!

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
13 Oct 08
4 edits

Of Course you would, Korch...

Game 5436025

You cant even play for a win with white, let alone black!
For your notice - there is difference between position with advantage (Joester vs phatboy666) and boring position without any advantage (Korch vs Joester).

I would suggest you to think twice before posting another your silly comment.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
13 Oct 08

You could have launched a minority attack against the black queenside - that is something worth playing for. Definately not a position I would have drawn without trying that sort of thing first.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
14 Oct 08
1 edit

You could have launched a minority attack against the black queenside - that is something worth playing for. Definately not a position I would have drawn without trying that sort of thing first.
For minority attack usually at least 2 linked pawns are needed. In this position its possible to move only a pawn as c pawn can be blocked easily. With one a pawn you can do nothing serious.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
15 Oct 08

what about the a pawn - that was unhindered and could have advanced to help pressure the b7 pawn?

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
16 Oct 08

what about the a pawn - that was unhindered and could have advanced to help pressure the b7 pawn?
Come on - with one pawn you will do nothing. And b1 sqare is covered by Black bishop so it would be troublesome for white rooks to join attack.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
18 Oct 08

What about a4, Ra2, Rb2 - that is a plan to work towards.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
18 Oct 08
2 edits

What about a4, Ra2, Rb2 - that is a plan to work towards.
It takes some time. While you are spending for your operation (to create 1-piece threat!) 3 moves, black can defend against this 1-piece threat with one move,