1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 03:58
    After deciding to go ahead and purchase a Freestyle LIBRE system( to monitor my sugar levels), I am uber pleased. I appreciate the scientists who made this happen. A small sensor is attached behind upper arm. Then a meter or "reader" scans the sensor as often as you like. No more finger pricks. Plus it keeps track of your
    levels and can produce charts...etc.. So I recommend it, even though most insurance companies don't cover any of the costs.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 18:36
    @ogb said
    After deciding to go ahead and purchase a Freestyle LIBRE system( to monitor my sugar levels), I am uber pleased. I appreciate the scientists who made this happen. A small sensor is attached behind upper arm. Then a meter or "reader" scans the sensor as often as you like. No more finger pricks. Plus it keeps track of your
    levels and can produce charts...etc.. So I recommend it, even though most insurance companies don't cover any of the costs.
    I've resisted getting a CGM for my pump.

Don't mind the fingersticks so much, but I will probably give this tech you cite a try. Freestyle is just one brand, there are others. I understand you can get an app for your phone that can read the data from it.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 04:50
    @Suzianne

This could be a game changer for people who struggle w self-measurements. I have a family member who is slipping into dementia and can no longer reliably self-medicate. Can one or the other of you two posters post a web link to the technology? Thanks.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 06:16
    @moonbus said
    @Suzianne

This could be a game changer for people who struggle w self-measurements. I have a family member who is slipping into dementia and can no longer reliably self-medicate. Can one or the other of you two posters post a web link to the technology? Thanks.
    Here are two.

1) Freestyle - www.myfreestyle.com
    2) Dexcom - www.dexcom.com

The technology is CGM, or Continuous Glucose Monitor.

Dexcom is an industry leader, but Freestyle specializes in more affordable units.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 08:33
    @Suzianne

Thanks.
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 13:52
    @suzianne said

I understand you can get an app for your phone that can read the data from it.
    The app is available for I-phones 7 and newer.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '20 17:41
    @ogb

Oh? Not available for android phones? That would be a bummer, since my wife is diabetic and would love this new tech but we are stuck with android phones. She has an LG stylo and I have a Galaxy S 20 just bought.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Aug '20 06:312 edits
    @sonhouse said
    @ogb

Oh? Not available for android phones? That would be a bummer, since my wife is diabetic and would love this new tech but we are stuck with android phones. She has an LG stylo and I have a Galaxy S 20 just bought.
    I still have a Galaxy S8+. I'm sure there's an app for android.

Check Google Play.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '20 23:56
    @Suzianne
    I just upped from S7 and I did see some improvements like a word game, "word find' very high in graphics for some stupid reason, anyway on the old 7 it would eat battery really fast and even when charging the charger would basically stay at 30% or wherever it was when plugged in, and the phone would actually get hot from pushing the CPU to max.
    The new one runs that game for hours without overheating or using up much battery.
    Also on Lichess, I play bullet there, one minute, and the old 7 did a reasonable job but the 20 has a much better and somewhat larger screen so the colors are more vivid and the set is a bit bigger so easier to see. I am very short sighted so have to have stuff a foot away.
    Anyway it has a lot more storage, 128 gig memory plus another 128 micro SD card.
    Should keep me going for a while.
    Camera is a lot better too.
    Our granddaughter had her quinceanera (15 yo) and I had taken videos of the Mariachi band and dancing and such and was really surprised at how well it turned out played on the 20.
    The sound is much more robust also on the 20 compared to the 7. So technology marches on.
    T Mobile gave me 300 bucks trade in on my old 7, which was a surprise otherwise I would have gotten a 300 dollar phone so I splurged and got the 20.
    There is the 20 Ultra but it didn't seem to be that much better for 500 bucks more.
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Aug '20 05:05
    @suzianne said
    I still have a Galaxy S8+. I'm sure there's an app for android.

Check Google Play.
    There is an android version available.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree