Stop bashing USA sports

Stop bashing USA sports

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by Loose Screw
One of the great sports the USA have given us:

http://www.ifoce.com/index.php

πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰
Then again, one of the great sports invented in Europe:

http://site.wcbo.org/content/index_en.html

Who here would take part? Not me, I'm afraid. I'm not suited for either blitz chess or boxing.

Richard

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Then again, one of the great sports invented in Europe:

http://site.wcbo.org/content/index_en.html

Who here would take part? Not me, I'm afraid. I'm not suited for either blitz chess or boxing.

Richard
That's awesome!

If we could do that instead of correspondence chess, I'd be able to actually win a few matches.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
NBA is just not a major world srort, accept it.
I don't care if every entire player in the NBA is European, there is no major world wide competition involving basketball that people follow.

NBA is North American sport only.
It has a small to moderate following in some parts of Europe but it is far from being a world sport of any kind.

For ...[text shortened]...
Larry Bird : 30%
Magic Johnson : 90%
Wilt Chamberlin : 0.02% (really)
Kareem Jabbar : 15%
I have no idea who's wilt chamberlin. I bet you just made that up!

at least here basketball is next to nonexistent. I doubt an average finn could name a single finnish basketball player, and we are absolutely crazy about sports. still, we had one NBA player a couple of years ago.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
14 Jun 07

What is this thread doing in General?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by Crowley
What is this thread doing in General?
drunken mistake. move it, please.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by wormwood
drunken mistake. move it, please.
Yes, I asked for it to moved in the original post, as I was indeed... drunk 😏 ... or is that a 😡

Thanks for the move

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
14 Jun 07

Basketball is the only one of the major USA sports which is its own original sport, and not an inferior rip-off of some other, better European sport. Ice hockey is just hockey badly adapted for when the grass doesn't grow. American "football" is rugby for sissies with no real athletic talent, just a lot of weight. Baseball is rounders, a schoolboys' ver ...[text shortened]... I've never seen a European club team rise above the level of rank amateurism.

Richard
You forgot baseball

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
14 Jun 07
2 edits

He's right in essence, though, even if the way he gets to his point is crooked. European teams don't support eachother, usually. After all, be honest: would you, as a Scot, support the English football team? And if so, would you admit to it at work?

Richard
he is an idiot...just because there might be some semblance of reason in a tiny portion of what he said..doesn't change the fact that he is an idiot.

and after reading some of your posts, I have to say you are not far behind.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
14 Jun 07
1 edit

NBA is just not a major world srort, accept it.
I don't care if every entire player in the NBA is European, there is no major world wide competition involving basketball that people follow.

NBA is North American sport only.
It has a small to moderate following in some parts of Europe but it is far from being a world sport of any kind.

For
Larry Bird : 30%
Magic Johnson : 90%
Wilt Chamberlin : 0.02% (really)
Kareem Jabbar : 15%
The absolute major flaw in your convoluted arguments is the belief that somehow what happens in england is representqative of what happens in the rest of the world.

The minor flaws are too numerous to mention.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
15 Jun 07

Basketball is the only one of the major USA sports which is its own original sport, and not an inferior rip-off of some other, better European sport. Ice hockey is just hockey badly adapted for when the grass doesn't grow. American "football" is rugby for sissies with no real athletic talent, just a lot of weight. Baseball is rounders, a schoolboys' ver ...[text shortened]... I've never seen a European club team rise above the level of rank amateurism.

Richard
I completely agree with you Richard.

You have explained the point I was trying to get across in a clear well balanced way.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
15 Jun 07

Originally posted by wormwood
I have no idea who's wilt chamberlin. I bet you just made that up!

at least here basketball is next to nonexistent. I doubt an average finn could name a single finnish basketball player, and we are absolutely crazy about sports. still, we had one NBA player a couple of years ago.
You are exactly right.

The americans just don't get it, NBA and basketball in any form is just not a world sport of note.

Wilt Chamberlain is one of the best players ever, he just played many years ago and I think he managed to score 100 points in a single game.

But I would be surprised if 1 in 10000 people in Europe have ever heard of him.
In comparison Arnold Palmer is one of the top 3 most famous sprots men ever.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
15 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Red Night
The absolute major flaw in your convoluted arguments is the belief that somehow what happens in england is representqative of what happens in the rest of the world.

The minor flaws are too numerous to mention.
The 'collection of words' you posted sort of defeats your own argument, as usual your posts have more holes in than Hadrians Wall.

So for example, if England is not represensitive of the rest of the world, why are all the posts in this forum written in English?

Why don't you post in your natural language instead of using my countries great language?

Red Night you need to stick to promoting basketball games that start at 3.00am or 4.00am in main land Europe and re-runs of the great Arnold Palmer, the greatest golfer ever apparently.

Our Arnold is even a more famous sportsman than Ali or did you have to correct yourself on that one McNight?

If you're ever in the LA or Vegas area, why don't you pm me and we could continue to discuss related toppics over a can of Iron Brew?

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
15 Jun 07

Originally posted by PocketKings
See, the problem here is that Europe thinks of itself as Europe the continent, and not as the individual countries that are Europe. Are these people making it a Europe (continent) vs. USA (country)? Or is it their country vs the USA? If they want to make it a continent battle than they should say Europe vs. North America. If North America could make an A ...[text shortened]... s in sports. Maybe a forum Mod could take care of that for me please. I'm going to bed πŸ™‚
People only come from all over the world for your sports only for the ridiculous amounts of money being offered.

Moves
15 Jun 07
1 edit

Basketball is the only one of the major USA sports which is its own original sport, and not an inferior rip-off of some other, better European sport. Ice hockey is just hockey badly adapted for when the grass doesn't grow. American "football" is rugby for sissies with no real athletic talent, just a lot of weight. Baseball is rounders, a schoolboys' ver I've never seen a European club team rise above the level of rank amateurism.

Richard
I like this post, however, basketball is just a rip off of netball, you know the game that 8-14 year old girls play at school! That’s where that comes from. The americans have no culture, they don’t have the history we Europeans have, so what they try to do is take what we have and make it their own ("american English" for example), in this case they have taken all the sports such as cricket, rugby, netball etc and made their own version, however the rest of the world are like "well yeah your sports are ok I guess but we prefer the original versions" hence why the americans are now flocking to football. They can now see they will never be able to firstly create a game that is so brilliant and loved by so many, secondly their own sports will never reach the same fame football has acquired around the world. This is going to be an education to the americans.

The usa in terms of countries is the equivalent of a petulant teenager, (only being 400 odd years old compared to nations around the world that have evolved their culture over thousands of years as opposed to just inheriting it) it wants everything its own way and when it doesn’t get its own way it stamps it feet and throws its dummy out of the pram. As I said america becoming involved with football will be an education, because like it, lump it, what ever way you will with it, Europe is the centre of the footballing world, and will be for longer than any of us live, the best leagues in the world, the best players in the world, the best clubs in the world, the best supporters in the world, the best competitions in the world and the best standard of football in the world is played in Europe.

As for who ever said the best sports people flock to america, well sorry they don’t, a lot do for money, but I think you will find the best footballers in the world continually flock to Europe. Yes you can come back and say Beckham blah blah but he is 32 end of career and needs to make a buck before he is past it so he can keep posh happy, he is not going to america for the standard of football. He is only one, 95% of world class players play in Europe not American. So usa let your education begin, you can not have it your own way this time, you cant have the best sport in the world as your own or even claim it yours, you cant have the best footballers in the world flock to your country, your domestic league sucks compared to the premiership, serie a or la liga, your nation are third rate, and just because football is getting popular in American its not a revolution the rest of the world is going through, it did it way before you decided to think football was great, your just playing catch up people. For once be humble and learn to live with it.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
15 Jun 07

The 'collection of words' you posted sort of defeats your own argument, as usual your posts have more holes in than Hadrians Wall.

So for example, if England is not represensitive of the rest of the world, why are all the posts in this forum written in English?

Why don't you post in your natural language instead of using my countries great l ...[text shortened]... y don't you pm me and we could continue to discuss related toppics over a can of Iron Brew?
Rubbish