Stop bashing USA sports

Stop bashing USA sports

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Basketball's pretty cool...
NBA Basketball is great, its fantastic, I love the game.

In world terms though its a minor sport.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
13 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue

Hey genius, where do you think all of the foreign players in the NBA came from if basketball isn't a world sport? About 10% (maybe more) of the rosters are filled with foreign players. Do you think they just fell out of bed, came to the US and learned how to play the game overnight? Also, where do you think the NBA teams send their developmental players other than the Continetal Basketball League? Italy, Turkey, Greece, Spain to play in the international leagues. Wouldn't that indicate fan interest and appeal? I will bet most of the sports enthusiasts in the world would know who Michael Jordan was...Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlin, Kareem Jabbar.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
13 Jun 07

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Hey genius
Stop trying to sound like Howard Eskin

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
13 Jun 07

Hey genius, where do you think all of the foreign players in the NBA came from if basketball isn't a world sport? About 10% (maybe more) of the rosters are filled with foreign players. Do you think they just fell out of bed, came to the US and learned how to play the game overnight? Also, where do you think the NBA teams send their developmental players ...[text shortened]... would know who Michael Jordan was...Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlin, Kareem Jabbar.
Now you are getting closer to my original point.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
13 Jun 07

Americans just don't get it.

Europe doesn't (and will never) consider itself as a team because we are individual countries, we don't support each other, the English would rarely ever want Germans, Italians, Spanish and especially the French to win anything, why should we?
I mean the English saved the French in WW2 and what thanks do we ever ge ...[text shortened]... r made for TV franchise entertainment events.

Where did I put that vodka bottle.....
My god you are an idiot.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
13 Jun 07

Now whats the best World Vodka:
Grey Goose, Chopin, Belvedere or Smirnof?
Zubrowka!!!

(well, my favourite at least)

g

Moves
13 Jun 07
1 edit

Americans just don't get it.

Europe doesn't (and will never) consider itself as a team because we are individual countries, we don't support each other, the English would rarely ever want Germans, Italians, Spanish and especially the French to win anything, why should we?
I mean the English saved the French in WW2 and what thanks do we ever ge r made for TV franchise entertainment events.

Where did I put that vodka bottle.....
The English saved the French? If Lord British was doing so well I do not know why we sent our theater operation army over there.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
14 Jun 07

Hey genius, where do you think all of the foreign players in the NBA came from if basketball isn't a world sport? About 10% (maybe more) of the rosters are filled with foreign players. Do you think they just fell out of bed, came to the US and learned how to play the game overnight? Also, where do you think the NBA teams send their developmental players ...[text shortened]... would know who Michael Jordan was...Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlin, Kareem Jabbar.
NBA is just not a major world srort, accept it.
I don't care if every entire player in the NBA is European, there is no major world wide competition involving basketball that people follow.

NBA is North American sport only.
It has a small to moderate following in some parts of Europe but it is far from being a world sport of any kind.

For a start to watch a regular game live you would haveto wait until 3.00am in England and even I who really lkes NBA could not be bothered to do that when I'm in England.

As for your all star basketball names I would estimate an English man in the age range of 20 to 50 would recognize the names as follows.
Michael Jordan : 97%
Larry Bird : 30%
Magic Johnson : 90%
Wilt Chamberlin : 0.02% (really)
Kareem Jabbar : 15%

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by Red Night
My god you are an idiot.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
14 Jun 07

My god you are an idiot.

Insane in the Brain!

The House of Pain.

Moves
14 Jun 07

One of the great sports the USA have given us:

http://www.ifoce.com/index.php

😛 😉

e

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by Loose Screw
One of the great sports the USA have given us:

http://www.ifoce.com/index.php

😛 😉
Looks like your own search for enlightenment took you to the buffet a few times too many, Buddha.... 😛

Insane in the Brain!

The House of Pain.

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by eagles54
Looks like your own search for enlightenment took you to the buffet a few times too many, Buddha.... 😛
I can tell that there is nothing wrong with your eyesight, my dear mister eagles.

I enjoy the different tastes of food, but to me it's not a sport. 😉

Moves
14 Jun 07

Basketball is the only one of the major USA sports which is its own original sport, and not an inferior rip-off of some other, better European sport. Ice hockey is just hockey badly adapted for when the grass doesn't grow. American "football" is rugby for sissies with no real athletic talent, just a lot of weight. Baseball is rounders, a schoolboys' version of cricket. Basketball is basketball, not a derivative, just basketball.
The result is that basketball is the only of the USAnian sports which is even remotely watchable. When played badly it's still as boring as watching paint dry, but that's true of any sport; when played well, basketball can be quite exciting. And some of the USA teams play basketball very well indeed. Unfortunately, I've never seen a European club team rise above the level of rank amateurism.

Richard

Moves
14 Jun 07

My god you are an idiot.
He's right in essence, though, even if the way he gets to his point is crooked. European teams don't support eachother, usually. After all, be honest: would you, as a Scot, support the English football team? And if so, would you admit to it at work?

Richard