1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 00:46
    Toronto Maple Leaf's, Cleveland Browns, Seattle Mariners, Detroit Lions, Los Angeles Clippers. Milwaukee Brewers, Buffalo Sabers.

Decades slip by, and nothing changes with these folks.

There are others of course, but why can they not win the big one?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 01:01
    @mchill

The Clippers were San Diego and LA has been Lakers for a much longer time. Clippers are suffering the same problem the Mets suffer from.

Usually in sports big markets mean big money. Big money buys the stars.
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 02:29
    @mchill said
    Toronto Maple Leaf's, Cleveland Browns, Seattle Mariners, Detroit Lions, Los Angeles Clippers. Milwaukee Brewers, Buffalo Sabers.

Decades slip by, and nothing changes with these folks.

There are others of course, but why can they not win the big one?
    And the Dallas Cowboys are moving steadily into this category . And don't forget the New York Jets .
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 03:48
    @caissad4 said
    And the Dallas Cowboys are moving steadily into this category . And don't forget the New York Jets .
    After the debacle of this year's NBA championship, winning 2 and then losing 4 in a row to wave it bye-bye, we must include the Phoenix Suns in this list.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 09:03
    As with most things in life,it's all about money.
    Even in the Olympics,the countries with the biggest investments will produce the most successful athletes
    Just occasionally,you will get a franchise team who will out perform the big boys.The Oakland Athletics are one such example. Leicester city in the English premier league are another.Otherwise, it's always going to be the richest clubs that can afford to buy and pay the best players.The only way to change it is to cap how much a team can spend on players and wages.It happens in Rugby league in England.In football/baseball etc it's never going to happen I fear.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 12:201 edit
    It seems strange seeing people call the A's the Athletics.

Baseball is a bit different because it has farm leagues. Each professional team also has lower league teams to develop young talent. If they need to fill a slot in the big league, teams will bring up players from their minor team.

KC Royals are a small market team that was good for a while because they had a good minor league program.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 15:06
    @eladar said
    It seems strange seeing people call the A's the Athletics.

Baseball is a bit different because it has farm leagues. Each professional team also has lower league teams to develop young talent. If they need to fill a slot in the big league, teams will bring up players from their minor team.

KC Royals are a small market team that was good for a while because they had a good minor league program.
    My son got me into watching baseball a few years ago.He knows I like stats!
    He came over to California a few years ago to watch the "A"'s.The sweatshirt he bought says "Athletics"The salient point of your post regarding the Royals I think was "for a while".
    In English football(or soccer as you call it)some top clubs have what they call "feeder" clubs which are clubs in the lower divisions what the big club scouts will look at.
    However players in the lower clubs don't get much of a look in these days because the big clubs will buy superstars from abroad.Again-money
  8. Joined
    26 Jul '21
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 02:40
    Thy examples are weak!
    The Buffalo Bills made it to 4 Super Bowls in a row.

They lost all 4.
    That is worse than any examples yet given.
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 03:12
    @thy said
    Thy examples are weak!
    The Buffalo Bills made it to 4 Super Bowls in a row.

They lost all 4.

Maybe, but I made a tidy sum betting against the Bills in those games. Ugly, can be beautiful! 😀
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 23:54
    So being AFC champion 4 times is no achievement at all?
  11. Joined
    26 Jul '21
    Moves
    03 Aug '21 10:26
    Thy is looking at the positive but I doubt the Buffalo Bills see it that way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree