1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '22 13:50
    @venda said
    If your company was predicted to make thousands or more dollars from a sponsorship deal,wouldn't you give it a go?
    Same applies to individuals who will be paid for their input.
    As I've said before,it's all about money.
    The only way to stop the rich getting richer on the proceeds is not to watch it in Qatar or on TV/internet but they know that will not happen.
    You say yourself that you will watch it so you are feeding the companies and individuals
    Let's take David Beckham as an example, dude is already insanely rich and makes a lot of his money just from his profile and reputation. The human rights violations in Qatar are criminal, anyone with half a brain can see that. Do you think that sort money is worth the lasting impact on your reputation? I don't and to answer your question I think the business sponsoring the event will lose more money through boycotts that what they'll gain from exposure. But that's just my opinion, maybe having a conscious and a sense of humanity is going out of fashion and enough people won't care.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    05 Oct '22 18:45
    @trev33 said
    Let's take David Beckham as an example, dude is already insanely rich and makes a lot of his money just from his profile and reputation. The human rights violations in Qatar are criminal, anyone with half a brain can see that. Do you think that sort money is worth the lasting impact on your reputation? I don't and to answer your question I think the business sponsoring the eve ...[text shortened]... ybe having a conscious and a sense of humanity is going out of fashion and enough people won't care.
    As you say it's the world cup and millions will watch it around the world.
    As you know,I am not a football supporter but no doubt the missis will have it on depending on the timings.
    I suppose human rights and sport should be separate issues but you only have to look at the cricketers and Rugby players who went to South Africa in the Apartheid era to realise that it never will be.
    As soon as money comes into the equation,everything else,for some people at least, goes out the window
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '22 21:58
    @venda said
    As you say it's the world cup and millions will watch it around the world.
    As you know,I am not a football supporter but no doubt the missis will have it on depending on the timings.
    I suppose human rights and sport should be separate issues but you only have to look at the cricketers and Rugby players who went to South Africa in the Apartheid era to realise that it never wil ...[text shortened]... soon as money comes into the equation,everything else,for some people at least, goes out the window
    Oh, 4 matches a day, I'm sure you'll be forced to watch a few 😂

You're right, religion as well, look at Pakistan and India. Remember being in India in 2011 during the cricket world cup, they celebrated more after beating Pakistan in the semis than winning it.

This is different though, it's not just a country that has a questionable human rights record. It's also the fact that people have been exploited in the building of the stadiums and some have lost their lives. Qatar doesn't care.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Oct '22 09:17
    Seems like the sale of tickets is a big success. regardless of politics and corruption and other problems, people seem to like to be there in person.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Nov '22 11:21
    Hopefuls for the German teams suffered injuries, so I expect germany to be out at an early stage.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 Dec '22 12:19
    @ponderable said
    Qatar plays in the first round agains the Netherlands, Senegal and Ecuador.

I would bet that they won't make it into the k.o. Phase.
    They didn't
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Dec '22 15:19
    @sands-al said
    the way it will unfold, England will win it
    They didn't...
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Dec '22 15:24
    @ponderable said
    Hopefuls for the German teams suffered injuries, so I expect germany to be out at an early stage.
    They were
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    12 Dec '22 23:562 edits
    @Ponderable

(Reference to England / France game)

No

We just had an idiot for a referee, who didn't like England

The most incompetent display by a ref in my lifetime

Pathetic
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Dec '22 07:53
    @blood-on-the-tracks said
    @Ponderable

(Reference to England / France game)

No

We just had an idiot for a referee, who didn't like England

The most incompetent display by a ref in my lifetime

Pathetic
    Actually I was referring to a prediction before the start of the tournament predicting England as winner.

We had abysmal performances of referees before. Watch the Semi Final 1970 (Germany-Italy) if you have some spare time.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Dec '22 14:34
    @ponderable said
    Actually I was referring to a prediction before the start of the tournament predicting England as winner.

We had abysmal performances of referees before. Watch the Semi Final 1970 (Germany-Italy) if you have some spare time.
    And the 2010 World Cup final. I'm not necessarily saying the Netherlands should've won that match - frankly, it should've been a draw and all involved refused a medal - but Howard Webb should've lost his job over it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree