1. Subscribervendaonline
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Feb '22 14:56
    @ponderable said
    To be fair Qatar won the Asian Championship 2019...so they should be at least semi competitive.

But that BIG Money buys Sports is nothing new. And yes germany had a problem too with buying the 2006 championship, a reason for shame
    I repeat a quote I made in another forum.
    The answer to 99 questions out of 100 is money
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Feb '22 13:21
    It is possible that Russia will take part, because the potential opponents won't play them 😲

So the effect would be contrary to the intention...
  3. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    28 Feb '22 18:20
    @Ponderable thankfully they have now been booted, i read a call earlier for Scotland to allow Ukraine to advance, can't see that happening, though not sure what will happen as a large number of the Ukrainan team are still in Ukraine
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Mar '22 13:15
    @sands-al said
    @Ponderable thankfully they have now been booted, i read a call earlier for Scotland to allow Ukraine to advance, can't see that happening, though not sure what will happen as a large number of the Ukrainan team are still in Ukraine
    Thank ful we can be. It is difficult to find a good solution for the Ukrainian team. I agree.
  5. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    28 Mar '22 09:08
    Canada join the party for first time in 36 years, can't say i'm sad to see Italy go out
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Mar '22 13:46
    @sands-al said
    Canada join the party for first time in 36 years, can't say i'm sad to see Italy go out
    Well, it's their own fault, after all. They should never have let themselves get into that spot after all, coming second to Switzerland.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 May '22 12:02
    About three weeks to find the last participants...
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Jun '22 11:41
    @ponderable said
    About three weeks to find the last participants...
    And the list is complete.

Lets see how the teams fare in the heat of the winter
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Aug '22 11:21
    Qatar plays in the first round agains the Netherlands, Senegal and Ecuador.

I would bet that they won't make it into the k.o. Phase.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Aug '22 16:28
    @ponderable said

Against two teams of Lions? Not a chance. I'm not holding out much hope for Ecuador, either.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Aug '22 11:48
    Newest devleopment, after the schedule ahs been agreed on and been published on 1st of April now it came to ind of the officials in Qatar that they want the opening game....So the tournament might be extended by a day...
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '22 22:36
    @ponderable said

I think they will, bit of match fixing.
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Oct '22 16:48
    At east in France the boycott movement is strengthening...lets see how it all will trun out.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '22 11:49
    @ponderable said
    At east in France the boycott movement is strengthening...lets see how it all will trun out.
    They're not going to set up fan zones, makes sense for a winter world cup.

10 years ago it was clear Qatar should not be hosting a world cup, but here we are with it about to start in 6 weeks or so. Will be interesting to see if the stadiums are full with traveling fans, or maybe they'll give a bunch of tickets to the migrant workers who built the stadiums. Maybe the families of those who died making them might even get an extra ticket.

I'll watch it, it's still the world cup but companies who are sponsoring it and people like David Beckham who are promoting it should be ashamed of themselves.
  15. Subscribervendaonline
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    05 Oct '22 13:06
    @trev33 said
    They're not going to set up fan zones, makes sense for a winter world cup.

10 years ago it was clear Qatar should not be hosting a world cup, but here we are with it about to start in 6 weeks or so. Will be interesting to see if the stadiums are full with traveling fans, or maybe they'll give a bunch of tickets to the migrant workers who built the stadiums. Maybe the famil ...[text shortened]... re sponsoring it and people like David Beckham who are promoting it should be ashamed of themselves.
    If your company was predicted to make thousands or more dollars from a sponsorship deal,wouldn't you give it a go?
    Same applies to individuals who will be paid for their input.
    As I've said before,it's all about money.
    The only way to stop the rich getting richer on the proceeds is not to watch it in Qatar or on TV/internet but they know that will not happen.
    You say yourself that you will watch it so you are feeding the companies and individuals

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree