Euro 2012

Euro 2012

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Utrecht

Moves
17 Jun 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
If we kicked all Portuguese divers in the scrotum, we'd face two problems:
- the ref would run out of space in his little black book;
- the Dutch players would run out of kneecaps.

But it would be a price worth paying.

Richard
Just one red will do for two black balls. Not Ronaldo's though. He's sad to watch already.
I won't be surprised when Sneijder takes the card.

Moves
17 Jun 12

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
Edit: God damn Greeks. First they screw up Europe's finances,
Erm. I think you'll find that that mess started with your lot fscking up the housing market. And I don't think that Peston & al.'s insistent hammering on about "the Eurozone" is quite without malicious intent, either. Sir Humphrey is alive.

Richard

rc

Moves
17 Jun 12

Originally posted by Sake
Just one red will do for two black balls. Not Ronaldo's though. He's sad to watch already.
I won't be surprised when Sneijder takes the card.
hopefully it will be awesome, reds, yellows and rugby tackles.

In your face

Moves
17 Jun 12

Erm. I think you'll find that that mess started with your lot fscking up the housing market. And I don't think that Peston & al.'s insistent hammering on about "the Eurozone" is quite without malicious intent, either. Sir Humphrey is alive.

Richard
Tongue in cheek darling. Didn't mean a word of it.

Cheers

s

Moves
18 Jun 12

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
I seem to recall you labelling Rooney as a 'has-been' a couple of years ago. What's changed your mind? Is it the new hair-do?
I don't deny it. I said it. However, Rooney won me back by playing a tremendous two club seasons after WC fiasco. I said some bad things about England as well. They played a listless WC, but now are every bit as hard playing as any team wanting to hoist the cup. I bet they even win their group!

rc

Moves
18 Jun 12
1 edit

I cannot think i have ever seen a Dutch team so thoroughly deviod of ideas in my
lifetime, what the heck was Van Persie doing playing like a holding midfield player, he is
a striker, he makes runs, he scores lots of goals, he does not sit on the edge of the box
holding the ball up for Van Bommel or Sneijder. A team bristling with individual talent
like the Dutch proves one thing, unless you play like a team, it matters not how good
your individual players are.

s

Moves
18 Jun 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I cannot think i have ever seen a Dutch team so thoroughly deviod of ideas in my
lifetime, what the heck was Van Persie doing playing like a holding midfield player, he is
a striker, he makes runs, he scores lots of goals, he does not sit on the edge of the box
holding the ball up for Van Bommel or Sneijder. A team bristling with individual ta ...[text shortened]... s one thing, unless you play like a team, it matters not how good
There's good reason why they are the only team to lose every WC final they've played. Total football is total waste and they have never truly gelled as a team. Van Persie was wasted by bad coaching as was Robben. Sad, sad day for Dutch football!

Moves
18 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
There's good reason why they are the only team to lose every WC final they've played.
No, there are two separate good reasons. In the latest, they were simply outclassed by a team with as much individual talent and a better team spirit. In the first two, though, they were cheated by the diving Huns, stalling Argies, and a blatantly home-biased referee in both games.

Richard

Moves
18 Jun 12

I cannot think i have ever seen a Dutch team so thoroughly deviod of ideas in my lifetime, what the heck was Van Persie doing playing like a holding midfield player, he is a striker, he makes runs, he scores lots of goals, he does not sit on the edge of the box holding the ball up for Van Bommel or Sneijder. A team bristling with individual talent l ...[text shortened]... ves one thing, unless you play like a team, it matters not how good your individual players are.
It also proves that when your favourite players are out of form, then, no matter how favourite they are, you do not play them. No, not even if they're your son-in-law, Bert!

Richard

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
18 Jun 12

Richard
Think you will find that it was the US housing bubble that screwed the global economy.

s

Moves
18 Jun 12

No, there are two separate good reasons. In the latest, they were simply outclassed by a team with as much individual talent and a better team spirit. In the first two, though, they were cheated by the diving Huns, stalling Argies, and a blatantly home-biased referee in both games.

Richard
I don't believe so. In last WC they should have had at least two sent off. Refs have been nothing but kind to the Dutch. What Hun dives? They were thoroughly outplayed and had bad luck. Never a good combo against a superior team. Admit it. They have enormous talent that does not gel, play well in their leagues then fail to come together as a team. Few small nations possess such talent and have so little to show for it.

d

Moves
18 Jun 12

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
There's good reason why they are the only team to lose every WC final they've played.
Both Hungary and the former Czechoslovakia made the final twice and lost. Sweden played one final and lost that as well.

S

Utrecht

Moves
18 Jun 12

holding the ball up for Van Bommel or Sneijder. A team bristling with individual ta ...[text shortened]... s one thing, unless you play like a team, it matters not how good
So many answers to give:
1. Huntelaar. Germany's topscorer was outraged when he was 2nd choice behind Van Persie. And he showed that constantly during the training sessions, in the hotel. That has an effect on the teamspirit. It was topic in the main tv euro talkshows. That reaches Twitter, Facebook and the players/staff. When the result stays away, it becomes an item in a team.
2. Kuyt. Not satisfied on the bench.
3. Same with Van Der Vaart.
4. Van Persie is not the kind of player with his back towards the goal. He needs a little space and pace. The space he needs is created by fast wings (right footers at the right side, who can reach the back line and can get the ball in the box.) We only had Narsing for the right wing, but didn't get the stage to show why he was there..
5. Robben was not in a good form and predictable on the rightwing by always going for his left foot. At the left he was nowhere to be seen.
6. At the leftwing we had Affelay. He was injured almost the whole season and now he should play a major role. Nonsense.
7. Rightback Van Der Wiel has played all season not a single good game, not even a mediocre one.
8. Van Bommel is 35 and too old.
9. De Jong? Why was he there in the first place?
10. Central defender Mathijssen was not fit.
11. Same with Heitinga.
12. Left back Willems. Just 18 years old.
13. The coach who made all these choices and could not bring peace.
14. Three games in Charkov, eastern Ukrain. The hotel was in Krakow, Poland. a 1300 km trip. Takes a toll in teamspirit I suppose.

Only the goalkeeper was alright and Sneijder did what he could, but was alaone.

s

Moves
18 Jun 12

Originally posted by damionhonegan
Both Hungary and the former Czechoslovakia made the final twice and lost. Sweden played one final and lost that as well.
Oops! You're right. Let's amend my statement to only country to lose three WC finals. I doubt Hungary and Czechoslovakia amassed the Dutch amount of talent! Germany has lost a few finals, but won the WC three times. That exonerates them for badness!

rc

Moves
19 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Sake
So many answers to give:
1. Huntelaar. Germany's topscorer was outraged when he was 2nd choice behind Van Persie. And he showed that constantly during the training sessions, in the hotel. That has an effect on the teamspirit. It was topic in the main tv euro talkshows. That reaches Twitter, Facebook and the players/staff. When the result stays away, it becomes I suppose.

Only the goalkeeper was alright and Sneijder did what he could, but was alaone.
a brilliant post, these elements were certainly hidden from us non Dutch speakers
although Shallow Blue to his credit intimated as much. Will the manager remain, I
doubt it after this.