What's the point of heaven?

What's the point of heaven?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by Agerg
I'm sure we've all heard the theist challenge: "what's the point of living if there is no God?"*. The idea being that if there is no afterlife, if our consciousness just vanishes and we all cease to be, then what purpose is there to life. Implicit or directly we are asked why don't we just go round stealing, killing, ... people because nothing really matters i ...[text shortened]... ion being:
http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=161886&page=1#post_3321853
Why death? Afterlife is just life prolonged like a butterfly coming into being.
Personally, I think death was used for us as a means to help save us from
our sinful nature.

F

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Do you have a non-human viewpoint?
Grampy Bobby once declared himself "immune" to "human criticism". Perhaps this is related to him peddling a purportedly "non-human viewpoint". 🙂

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Do you have a non-human viewpoint?
All believers in Christ share the Mind of Christ [divine viewpoint] to the extent that they're systematically learning, assimilating and applying the absolute truths revealed in the Word of God and making frequent use of 1John 1:9.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by FMF
Grampy Bobby once declared himself "immune" to "human criticism". Perhaps this is related to him peddling a purportedly "non-human viewpoint". 🙂
RHP Thread, please?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
I realize that which is why I suggested you rethink it and try again.

[b]I make no claim of perfect understanding, but I think I gave a pretty good explanation of what I think eternity means.

Eternity is a place, and has nothing to do with time at all.

[quote]Eternity cannot be described by the same terms used to measure time. [/qu ...[text shortened]... it to the dictionary. I find creating new definitions for words just leads to miscommunication.[/b]
Of course you have difficulty reconciling my statements.

Can eternity be measured by time? That's the question, in my mind at least. I say no it can't because eternity isn't a measure of time, it's just eternity.

Will time be measured in eternity? I don't know. Will those who exist in eternity keep the time? I don't know.

Based on this verse I say eternity has more to do with a location, a place, more than having anything to do with time.

Isaiah 57:15
For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name [is] Holy; I dwell in the high and holy [place], with him also [that is] of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Eternity is the place of God's "habitation". Eternity is a place. Somewhere out there. I can't fathom where that is, but I know it isn't right here in this place. 😉

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
you have been told time and time again that eternity "measures" time. you keep asking those that disagree with you to provide proof. i have. (others too). sarcasm free.

and still you don't get it. so yes, we try sarcasm. maybe you will understand then. (you didn't).
No. You don't get it.

Eternity measures time? Sounds bass ackwards to me.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by KellyJay
our sinful nature.
"I think death was used for us as a means to help save us from
our sinful nature."

The curse is for man's sake. I don't think the atheists can argue against that seeing as how living forever is too tedious in their estimation.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
08 Dec 14
1 edit

our sinful nature.
Error! 🙄

Z

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by josephw
No. You don't get it.

Eternity measures time? Sounds bass ackwards to me.
it doesn't measure time, it is defined as time without end.

"Sounds ... to me"
i don't care much what it sounds like to you. you want to talk about the place where you go after you die? fine, go ahead. but you cannot use eternity. that is related to time by every definition in every dictionary. at the very least you should warn people that from now on you will use "eternity" to define a concept you made up and we should disregard anything the dictionaries might say.

you can't have a debate if you expect people to guess that you change the meanings of words.

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
it doesn't measure time, it is defined as time without end.

"Sounds ... to me"
i don't care much what it sounds like to you. you want to talk about the place where you go after you die? fine, go ahead. but you cannot use eternity. that is related to time by every definition in every dictionary. at the very least you should warn people that from now on ...[text shortened]...
you can't have a debate if you expect people to guess that you change the meanings of words.
Joe is merely demonstrating that a coherent account of eternity and eternal life is beyond our mortal grasp -- or at least, his. He's already said in effect that he's leaving the details up to God.

Z

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by JS357
Joe is merely demonstrating that a coherent account of eternity and eternal life is beyond our mortal grasp -- or at least, his. He's already said in effect that he's leaving the details up to God.
this is the point of the discussion. to discuss those details. if he doesn't want to discuss them, just stand aside. but that is not the issue i am insisting on.

he is using eternity, something we know what it means, with an entirely different meaning. and insists our definition of the word is wrong. a definition that came from the romans who invented it specifically to mean time, era without end.

it is like coming and saying the word "blue" is wrong to mean the color blue, because it should instead mean "soup" and from now on, everyone who says the sky is "blue" is insane because obviously it has nothing in common with what he eats at brunch. and then he gets upset if someone points this to him.

Moves
08 Dec 14

our sinful nature.
do you hope death comes sooner rather than later so you can stop sinning?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Dec 14

our sinful nature.
Or equally as valid, to save the planet from there being one trillion humans on the planet at the same time. It's bad enough now with a mere 7 billion.

Think mosquito's.....

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Dec 14

Originally posted by stellspalfie
do you hope death comes sooner rather than later so you can stop sinning?
Death is going to take us all, hoped for or not. I'm in no hurry to die, but
I don't fear it. I do hate sin, mine more than others.

F

Moves
09 Dec 14

Death is going to take us all, hoped for or not. I'm in no hurry to die, but
I don't fear it. I do hate sin, mine more than others.
Might your "sins" result in you being tossed into "the Lake of Fire"?