What must I do to be saved from hell?

What must I do to be saved from hell?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

The sky

Moves
30 Aug 09

Originally posted by RBHILL
It is impossible to keep them all.
Which of the Ten Commandments do you think are impossible to keep?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Aug 09

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Whether you want to believe it or not, it is you who is playing "word games" when you assert that someone can simultaneously be righteous and continue to sin. Righteousness and sin are contradictory terms. Either they are righteous, i.e., are one with God or they continue to sin, i.e. are apart from God. They cannot be simultaneously "one" and "apart".
Well sorry you see it only in black and white. The word righteous was used in Noah's case but we know he was not perfect. So you explain then out that can be in his case?

T

Moves
30 Aug 09
2 edits

Originally posted by galveston75
Well sorry you see it only in black and white. The word righteous was used in Noah's case but we know he was not perfect. So you explain then out that can be in his case?
If you want to understand righteousness, I'd think you'd best look to Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount where Jesus presented a new understanding of what it means to be righteous. Note that He sums it up by saying, "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." With this in mind, I don't know why anyone would look to Noah to understand righteousness. If you want to understand righteousness, then look to Jesus. Do you believe that Jesus ever sinned? If so, do you believe that Jesus never got to a point where he stopped committing sin?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Aug 09
1 edit

If you want to understand righteousness, I'd think you'd best look to Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount where Jesus presented a new understanding of what it means to be righteous. Note that He sums it up by saying, "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." With this in mind, I don't know why anyone would look to Noah to underst ...[text shortened]... ned? If so, do you believe that Jesus never got to a point where he stopped committing sin?
I'm not being sarcastic but your not making much sence...You want me to answer your questions but your not answering mine.
And no..Jesus never sinned.

T

Moves
30 Aug 09
1 edit

I'm not being sarcastic but your not making much sence...You want me to answer your questions but your not answering mine.
And no..Jesus never sinned.
I thought that I did answer your question by pointing out that with Jesus making previous conceptions of righteousness obsolete, the conception of Noah being righteous is also obsolete. When speaking of righteousness Jesus said, "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." With that Jesus introduced a new standard for righteousness. Does this make things clearer?

Also, Jesus said that His true disciples would be made free from committing sin. Do you believe Jesus was not speaking the truth when He said that? If Jesus never sinned, how could He lie?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Aug 09

I thought that I did answer your question by pointing out that with Jesus making previous conceptions of righteousness obsolete, the conception of Noah being righteous is also obsolete. When speaking of righteousness Jesus said, "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." With that Jesus introduced a new standard for righteousne ...[text shortened]... e Jesus was not speaking the truth when He said that? If Jesus never sinned, how could He lie?
As long as Jesus diciples are human they will sin. For the ones that will be going to heaven to serve with Jesus as priest and judges they will no longer be sinful.
And again you keep asking and I'm answering you that Jesus never sinned.

d

Moves
30 Aug 09

Originally posted by RBHILL
It is impossible to keep them all.
No it's not.

T

Moves
30 Aug 09

As long as Jesus diciples are human they will sin. For the ones that will be going to heaven to serve with Jesus as priest and judges they will no longer be sinful.
And again you keep asking and I'm answering you that Jesus never sinned.
Was my response about Noah clear? You didn't answer.

I didn't ask you again if Jesus ever sinned. I don't know why you think I did. Please reread my post.

Jesus explains that by following Him, His disciples will be made free from committing sin. Why do you not believe Him?

John 8:32-36
So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."...Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Aug 09

Was my response about Noah clear? You didn't answer.

I didn't ask you again if Jesus ever sinned. I don't know why you think I did. Please reread my post.

Jesus explains that by following Him, His disciples will be made free from committing sin. Why do you not believe Him?

John 8:32-36
So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If ...[text shortened]... ever; the son does remain forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."
I guess were going in circles here. Did I not answer your question? I said...."""as long as they were human, they sin""" or is the Bible wrong about all humans sinning?
They were not going to be in this truely righteous state until they die and go to heaven.
If that doesn't answer then I don't know what to tell you.

T

Moves
30 Aug 09

I guess were going in circles here. Did I not answer your question? I said...."""as long as they were human, they sin""" or is the Bible wrong about all humans sinning?
They were not going to be in this truely righteous state until they die and go to heaven.
If that doesn't answer then I don't know what to tell you.
Paul was wrong about humans not being able to stop from committing sin.

Jesus was right about saying that His true disciples would be made free from committing sin.

Jesus was right when He explained the standard of righteousness required to enter the kingdom heaven: "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven....you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

It's your choice. Either believe and follow the teachings of Paul or believe and follow the teachings of Jesus. Before you decide which, consider that Paul never stopped committing sin and Jesus never sinned. Who do you think is more trustworthy?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Aug 09
1 edit

Paul was wrong about humans not being able to stop from committing sin.

Jesus was right about saying that His true disciples would be made free from committing sin.

Jesus was right when He explained the standard of righteousness required to enter the kingdom heaven: "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and P ul never stopped committing sin and Jesus never sinned. Who do you think is more trustworthy?
Wow.....this is some strange comments.. So are you one of these non sinning humans?

rc

Moves
30 Aug 09
2 edits

Wow.....this is some strange comments..
this is what happens when a specific aspect of the bible is taken out of context and elevated above another, what one gets is incoherent babbling and a thoroughly distorted view. it has been pointed out to thinkofone, on numerous occasions that the verse in context means, not literal perfection, but completeness, for as you have rightly pointed out my friend, while humans are in a state of imperfection, sinning, due to inherited imperfection will occur, although involuntarily, for we all make mistakes. What is more, such an interpretation leads to self righteousness and condemnation, which is self evident from thinkofones favourite criticisms of bigotry and hypocrisy.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
this is what happens when a specific aspect of the bible is taken out of context and elevated above another, what one gets is incoherent babbling and a thoroughly distorted view.
It's actually getting entertaining....Lol

T

Moves
30 Aug 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
this is what happens when a specific aspect of the bible is taken out of context and elevated above another, what one gets is incoherent babbling and a thoroughly distorted view.
It is the teachings of Paul that are incoherent and distorted.

However the teachings of Jesus are quite coherent.

Read how the two passages of the teachings of Jesus give a consistent portrayal of sin, righteousness, and the requirement for entering the kingdom of God:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. ...If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

"For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven....you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

If you believe these teachings to be "incoherent" and "distorted", then show how they are. I don't expect you will even attempt it. You only call names because it's all you have.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
30 Aug 09

It is the teachings of Paul that are incoherent and distorted.

However the teachings of Jesus are quite coherent.

Read how the two passages of the teachings of Jesus give a consistent portrayal of sin, righteousness, and the requirement for entering the kingdom of God:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. Th ...[text shortened]... don't expect you will even attempt it. You only call names because it's all you have.
I'm not calling you any names. I'm just asking if your one of these humans that don't sin? Simple yes or no would do.