1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 00:251 edit
    @moonbus said
    All right, but "Christianity according to your (or somebody else's) perspective" is precisely what Christianity is not. Christianity is not a cafeteria where anybody can pick and choose the bits he likes and ignore the rest and still call himself a Christian with a capital "C." Picking and choosing the bits you like is called something else. That's some s ...[text shortened]... lettantism; what you end up with is not a religion at all, but a collection of religious quotations.
    This is again a somewhat obvious observation but nevertheless is just your personal conjecture based on the assumption that to be a Christian one has to accept and abide by the entire bible.

Whilst most denominations do accept the entire bible, or at least claim to, they each pick and chose their own favourite bits. So based on this observation none of the spectrum of denominations is in fact Christian, which is what I was asserting on the previous page, albeit for different reasons.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 00:29
    @moonbus said
    FMF's Five Fundamentals:

1. A Christian is defined by his or her beliefs with regard to the life, death and the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

2. A Christian believes that God sent his son Jesus, the messiah, to save the world.

3. A Christian believes that Jesus was crucified and died in order to offer the forgiveness of sins and the opportunity for "salvation".
    ...[text shortened]... I take of Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Islam, Buddhism, Yoruba, the Greek pantheon, and other religions.
    I don’t think the Presbyterian General Assembly have much of a clue what it is to be a Christian, but then again most of the other denominations don’t either; the older the denomination the further away from Christianity they seem to be.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 07:351 edit
    @divegeester said

You see, I think that Christianity had died out because it has become diverse. Christianity was a narrow sect in its origin, full of (apparent) spiritual power and divine authority. NoW it is pretty much a unilateral sham.
    "I don’t think the Presbyterian General Assembly have much of a clue what it is to be a Christian, but then again most of the other denominations don’t either; the older the denomination the further away from Christianity they seem to be."

How far back do you reckon the clock would have to be turned to return to an untainted version of Christianity? 12th c.? 9th c.? 2d c.?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '20 07:43
    @moonbus said
    How far back do you reckon the clock would have to be turned to return to an untainted version of Christianity? 12th c.? 9th c.? 2d c.?
    I don’t think you read my post carefully enough, I said “the older the denomination the further away from Christianity they seem to be." Not the younger they are.

The orthodox denominations are full of dead men’s bones, corruption and self.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 01:41
    @divegeester said
    I don’t think the Presbyterian General Assembly have much of a clue what it is to be a Christian, but then again most of the other denominations don’t either; the older the denomination the further away from Christianity they seem to be.
    Just as an aside, what do you think of Anglicanism, you know, the CoE?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 01:52
    @fmf said
    Mmm. Like, I said. I don't mind who calls themselves a Christian. If they arrive at the five core beliefs I laid out in the OP, then I will call them one too.

I am not worried about anyone's personal belief regarding "the virgin birth" and the "inerrancy of Scripture" doesn't worry me either. Nor am I worried about them believing in eternal torment.

I am most certainly not ...[text shortened]... hey should go ahead and do so and take comfort in what the theologians-that-they-agree-with believe.
    This is all as may be, but yet you insist on defining a religion by claiming they believe in something which YOU claim is not true. That you don't "buy into" it, doesn't change what they believe, and yet you present what they believe as "not real", which is signaled by your "air quotes". Sorry, but it IS real to them. They do not define themselves as believing in something that is not real. So if you are going to purport to define a Christian's beliefs, then you can present it as their actual belief, rather than your belief.

What you did with your #3 is like defining Christians as those who believe in a "zombie Jesus".
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 02:07
    @moonbus said
    Well, why do some Christians lay so much emphasis on being able to claim a label which starts with a capital "C"? Christianity (with a capital "C" ) is not a cafeteria where people can pick and choose the dishes they like and ignore the rest. Sure, anyone can make up a list of the bits he likes; however, this moves him out of the mainstream tradition (which lays claim to the ...[text shortened]... I take of Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Islam, Buddhism, Yoruba, the Greek pantheon, and other religions.
    Christianity comes with a capital "C" because Christ is capitalized.

Mainstream Christianity may try to "lay claim" to the capital "C", but they cannot. By definition, it is a belief in Christ and his teachings and his promises, whether one is a "mainstream" Christian or not. In my opinion, too much of modern Christianity comes from the Old Testament, which, when viewed through a Christian lens, much of it is now invalid, yet mainstream Christianity still claims that God "never changes". I take issue with the idea that, since I do not subscribe to all of mainstream Christianity's interpretations, this means that I am now in the group of "sects, cults, heretics, and satanists".
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 04:40
    @suzianne said
    This is all as may be, but yet you insist on defining a religion by claiming they believe in something which YOU claim is not true.
    That's right. And this is because I am an ex-Christian and I am defining "a Christian". So I am claiming they believe in something ~ five things, as it happens ~ as laid out in the OP. Meanwhile, because I am an agnostic atheist, I do not subscribe to those Christian beliefs that I listed.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 04:46
    @suzianne said
    That you don't "buy into" it, doesn't change what they believe, and yet you present what they believe as "not real", which is signaled by your "air quotes".
    I agree. The fact that I do not "buy into" the core Christian beliefs that I mentioned does not change what Christians believe and does not change the fact that those who DO subscribe to those beliefs will NOT think of the things they believe in as being "not real".
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 04:48
    @suzianne said
    Sorry, but it IS real to them. They do not define themselves as believing in something that is not real.
    Christians are defined by what they believe. And, of course, those things they believe in are real to them. You are stating the obvious. We agree. Christians do not define themselves as believing in something that is not real.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 04:51
    @suzianne said
    So if you are going to purport to define a Christian's beliefs, then you can present it as their actual belief, rather than your belief.
    I presented what I think are Christians' actual beliefs in the OP.

In so doing, I think I have defined "a Christian".

These are not beliefs that I share, but I am able to offer the definition in the OP nevertheless.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 04:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 04:57
    @suzianne said
    What you did with your #3 is like defining Christians as those who believe in a "zombie Jesus".
    I have never used the term "zombie Jesus" and never even considered using it. It is you who has introduced the term "zombie Jesus" into the conversation, not me.

No.3?

A Christian believes that Jesus was crucified and died in order to offer the forgiveness of sins and the opportunity for "salvation".

I think my No.3 of 5 [in the OP] is uncontroversial.

What is it you disagree with, aside from my punctuation?

Why are you thinking about this something or someone that you are calling "zombie Jesus"? I'm not.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 05:52
    @suzianne said
    Just as an aside, what do you think of Anglicanism, you know, the CoE?
    Pretty much nothing.
    I’m usually repulsed by anything with an “ism” in its title.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 08:38
    @divegeester said
    I don’t think you read my post carefully enough, I said “the older the denomination the further away from Christianity they seem to be." Not the younger they are.

The orthodox denominations are full of dead men’s bones, corruption and self.
    If you think new denominations are closer to Christianity than older ones, then I really do not know what you think Christianity is. It certainly isn't anything related to Jesus or his apostles.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree