1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Feb '19 21:421 edit
    @Proper-Knob

You gonna tackle this?

I am not going to defend words that someone unfairly attempted to put into my mouth.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Feb '19 21:431 edit
    @Duchess64

Contrary to Sonship arguing that I alone believe this, I would submit that other
    writers like Caissad4, Ghost of a Duke, Proper Knob apparently believe it too.

Could you quote me where I argued that YOU ALONE believed this or that ?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '19 21:48
    @sonship said
    Now Duchess64 could you please show me where rape is commanded by the Law from Mt. Sinai by which Israel was to live.
    Why was Thou Shalt Not Rape not one of the Ten Commandments?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Feb '19 22:342 edits
    'It is a divine remedy for the misfortune of someone being raped.'

Okay, I read back through and found this comment.

"A remedy" is not meant to mean THE remedy.

I do not mean that there was a remedy which made everything already when a woman was raped.

Reparation of sorts is what I probably should have said.
    I think my point was that consideration of the victim of violation were built into many of the laws from God in the Old Testament.

Paul Copan again -

Based on Leviticus 19 and a surface reading of Exod. 21, it may seem that women were treated as property. However, we've observed that, despite Israel's inherited and imperfect patriarchal structure, these laws actually served to protect women as well as the family structure, which was central to Israelite society. Rather than viewing these laws as demeaning women, we should actually see them as protectig the vulnerable.

To get further perspective, however, consider again other ancient Near Eastern cultures on this regard. Punishments were often of the vicarious sort. For committing certain crimes, men would have to give up their wife, daughter, ox, or slave - a clear indication that a woman was often deemed the property of a man. Middle Assyrian laws punished not a rapist but a rapist's wife and even allowed her to be gang-raped. In other ancient Near Eastern laws, men could freely whip their wives, pull out their hair, mutilate their ears, or strike them - a dramatic contrast to Israel's laws, which gave no such permissions. Again, despite some of Israel's problematic social structures and corresponding laws, Israel's legal system - if faithfully followed - created a morally preferable environment to other societies in the ancient Near East. (The operative words are "faithfully followed," which Israel wasn't very good at doing.)

[Paul Copan, Is God a Moral Monster?, Baker Books, pg. 140. ]
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 00:201 edit
    @fmf said
    Romans1009 posted about 20,000 times in 6 months in 2018. Probably 4,000-5,000 of them were insults. And yet Philokalia singled him out as "the best high volume poster" on the Spirituality Forum.
    Right -- and I will stand by that: the forum is beign consistently trolled by yourself & Dive, and it was an interesting effort at figuring out how to overcome that.

In some ways it was a success: you are still touchy-feely about it & Dive literally experienced some kind of break from reality and introduced a second personality on his account, "Bronwyn."

But it was ultimately a failure because there was no permanent change in the demeanor.

And so I honestly learned a lesson from this: you can't try to solve problems in this way.

And another benefit that I got from Romans: the forum, due to his efforts, had more space for serious discussion because there were less people nitpicking stuff...

Like, Galveston recently came back, and right away you were tryign to drudge up drama form half a decade ago -- he denounce dyou and ignored you. That wouldn't have happened in the Romans days because you'd be preoccupied.

Yet... Nothing changed. Oh well.

I'll never endorse behavior liek that again.

AND, BECAUSE OF THAT, GHOST OF A DUKE:

Yes, I condemn Sonhouse for saying those things to you and I am sorry that I did not notice this to begin with.

That's why I tried to frame it in this wise man sort of way, implying that you shouldn't pile onto someone who is in a very unpopular position and add insults to the fray, etc.

BEcause, frankly, ghost, I expect more out of you. You are a smart, intelligent poster.

If we want the forum to be a better place here, it takes both the Christians and the non-Christains to band together and set a higher standard.

And I believe you can do better.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 00:43
    @philokalia said
    Right -- and I will stand by that: the forum is beign consistently trolled by yourself & Dive, and it was an interesting effort at figuring out how to overcome that.

In some ways it was a success: you are still touchy-feely about it & Dive literally experienced some kind of break from reality and introduced a second personality on his account, "Bronwyn."

But it was ...[text shortened]... e non-Christains to band together and set a higher standard.[/i]

And I believe you can do better.
    I think Romans1009 paedophilia-themed trolling made him one of the creepiest posters we have ever had in this community.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 00:47
    @philokalia said
    Like, Galveston recently came back, and right away you were tryign to drudge up drama form half a decade ago -- he denounce dyou and ignored you.
    Galveston75 was not somehow a Jehovah's Witness "half a decade ago"; he is a Jehovah's Witness now. He is posting as a Jehovah's Witness from the perspective of a Jehovah's Witness. Perhaps you do not know anything about the Jehovah's Witness ideology about who is "saved". That thread is about who is "saved". I was tackling him about that.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 00:51
    @philokalia said
    Yes, I condemn Sonhouse for saying those things to you and I am sorry that I did not notice this to begin with.
    You have also claimed that you "did not notice" the way Romans1009 posted. Thousands and thousands of posts. You "did not notice" the content of any of them. I think it's a bit rich you trying to lecture other posters about the content of their posts over and over and over and over again, day in day out, thread after thread.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 01:06
    @fmf said
    Galveston75 was not somehow a Jehovah's Witness "half a decade ago"; he is a Jehovah's Witness now. He is posting as a Jehovah's Witness from the perspective of a Jehovah's Witness. Perhaps you do not know anything about the Jehovah's Witness ideology about who is "saved". That thread is about who is "saved". I was tackling him about that.
    You were clearly posting about drama from years and year ago which is bad for the forum of a website I'm a paying subscriber to so please stop.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 01:08
    @fmf said
    You have also claimed that you "did not notice" the way Romans1009 posted. Thousands and thousands of posts. You "did not notice" the content of any of them. I think it's a bit rich you trying to lecture other posters about the content of their posts over and over and over and over again, day in day out, thread after thread.
    I did notice them and the bulk of it was what I'd call Mirroring.

It wasn't the will to post bad material for bad materials sake, but to mirror your and Dives posts.

So, I thought it was a valiant effort.

But it didn't work so it shouldn't be done.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 01:12
    @philokalia said
    I did notice them and the bulk of it was what I'd call Mirroring.

It wasn't the will to post bad material for bad materials sake, but to mirror your and Dives posts.

So, I thought it was a valiant effort.

But it didn't work so it shouldn't be done.
    I thought Romans1009 was one of the biggest creeps this website has ever seen. When he was posting 1,000s of times about sexualizing a child, it was not mirroring anyone. When he was accusing Ghost of a Duke of lying about himself every single day, hundreds and hundreds of times, sometimes 4-5 times in a row, he wasn't mirroring anyone. When he repeated the same insulting catch phrases over and over again, including his paedophilia riffs, he was not mirroring anyone.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 01:14
    @philokalia said
    You were clearly posting about drama from years and year ago which is bad for the forum of a website I'm a paying subscriber to so please stop.
    I was clearly talking to a Jehovah's Witness poster about his Jehovah's Witness beliefs.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 01:16
    @philokalia said
    I'm a paying subscriber to so please stop.
    Alert whatever posts you feel you should alert. You are wasting your time stalking me from thread to thread.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 01:25
    Alright, I'm not going to address the drama you bring up anymore here.

I came here to talk with Duchess and Cass and whomever else about alleged war crimes on the Bible.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 01:29
    @philokalia said
    Alright, I'm not going to address the drama you bring up anymore here.
    Thank you. Post as you see fit. I do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree