Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Korea

Moves
04 Sep 19

Ok, so what point have I missed?

F

Moves
04 Sep 19

Just read the thread.

If someone likes what you said about "something happening" when Buddhists think about the "unknowable", I'm sure they will engage you.

S. Korea

Moves
04 Sep 19

@fmf said
Just read the thread.

If someone likes what you said about "something happening" when Buddhists think about the "unknowable", I'm sure they will engage you.
But the statement is about the nuance of knowing the objectively unknowable through a subjective means.

F

Moves
04 Sep 19

@philokalia said
But the statement is about the nuance of knowing the objectively unknowable through a subjective means.
No "absolute truth" about "unknowable" things related to supernatural causality and thus "immutable" truths about "divine laws" is generated. Are you really determined not to read the conversation you've barged into with your flim-flam waffle? Do you not understand what dj2becker is asserting? Do you really not understand what KellyJay is asserting on this thread?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
04 Sep 19

One must go to a scale to see weight, a plumb line to check the vertical, a level to check the horizontal, laws to check legality. Truth is discovered it’s not internal unless we confirm our opinions to the known good.

F

Moves
04 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
One must go to a scale to see weight, a plumb line to check the vertical, a level to check the horizontal, laws to check legality. Truth is discovered it’s not internal unless we confirm our opinions to the known good.
Thank you, once again, for your personal subjective opinion about how you have "confirmed" your opinion.

Moves
05 Sep 19
1 edit

@fmf said
Neither of us knows what the "ultimate reality" is in terms of spiritual and supernatural matters, so neither your nor my personal opinion about what it is can be described as "objective".
Yet somehow you just happen to know that neither of us knows. Fascinating.

F

Moves
05 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
Yet somehow you just happen to know that neither of us knows. Fascinating.
You don't have to agree with, remember. All we are doing here is sharing our subjective personal opinions about this stuff.

S. Korea

Moves
05 Sep 19

@fmf said
No "absolute truth" about "unknowable" things related to supernatural causality and thus "immutable" truths about "divine laws" is generated. Are you really determined not to read the conversation you've barged into with your flim-flam waffle? Do you not understand what dj2becker is asserting? Do you really not understand what KellyJay is asserting on this thread?
No "absolute truth" about "unknowable" things related to supernatural causality and thus "immutable" truths about "divine laws" is generated.

So, what you're saying is....

No absolute truth about unknowable things related to supernatural causality is generated (through meditation or prayer or other means), and thus immutable truth about divine law doesn't exist.

Or something like that.

Not a surprising statement from you.

And nothing is really asserted here.

Are you really determined not to read the conversation you've barged into with your flim-flam waffle? Do you not understand what dj2becker is asserting? Do you really not understand what KellyJay is asserting on this thread?

I am only determined to share my ideas -- and, even then, I am not particularly determined.

Just kinda winging it, if you know what I mean.

F

Moves
05 Sep 19
1 edit

@philokalia said
I am only determined to share my ideas -- and, even then, I am not particularly determined.

Just kinda winging it, if you know what I mean.
Understood. You are exactly as I perceive you and as I have described you on several occasions.

If you want to start a thread inviting people to react to your personal opinion about how Buddhists know the "unknowable" and how this means "something is happening" with regard to "objective" facts and the "absolute truth", do so. I am sure there will be people who will want to discuss it with you.

F

Moves
05 Sep 19

@philokalia said
No "absolute truth" about "unknowable" things related to supernatural causality and thus "immutable" truths about "divine laws" is generated.

So, what you're saying is....

No absolute truth about unknowable things related to supernatural causality is generated (through meditation or prayer or other means), and thus immutable truth about divine law doesn't exist.

Or something like that.

You find it "not surprising"? Is that all? Is this an example of you engaging with what I said in a "complex way"?

Wasn't it you who oozed the following on the previous page? ...

"I think you're not interested because you don't want to engage with it in a complex way".

You are, at times, a bit of a self-parody.

Go for it with the thread about 'There's "something is happening" with the Buddhists".

Moves
05 Sep 19

@fmf said
You don't have to agree with, remember. All we are doing here is sharing our subjective personal opinions about this stuff.
Of course no one has to agree with anyone if you are arguing within a framework of relative truth. It’s like trying to agree about where the goalposts should be if they are continually moving!

F

Moves
05 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
Of course no one has to agree with anyone if you are arguing within a framework of relative truth. It’s like trying to agree about where the goalposts should be if they are continually moving!
Where you think the goalposts should be and whatever framework you have chosen or have been raised to believe in, these are matters for your subjective opinion and speculation.

You can talk about how your conjecture and belief in supernatural things are "objective" till the cows come home, it doesn't make a difference. They are just your personal opinions.

S. Korea

Moves
05 Sep 19

@fmf said

You find it "not surprising"? Is that all? Is this an example of you engaging with what I said in a "complex way"?

Wasn't it you who oozed the following on the previous page? ...

"I think you're not interested because you don't want to engage with it in a complex way".

You are, at times, a bit of a self-parody.

Go for it with the thread about 'There's "something is happening" with the Buddhists".
I don't really get it.

I give a series of statements on the topic, and then you do not respond, and then when I ask if I got the meaning right for what you typed and say that your very small, unproven statement isn't surprising, you act like I have now somehow dropped the ball.

But I'll leave this interaction at that until there is on-topic content.

I do not need to get into some cat fight about the Forum meta-drama.

F

Moves
05 Sep 19
2 edits

@philokalia said
I give a series of statements on the topic, and then you do not respond, and then when I ask if I got the meaning right for what you typed and say that your very small, unproven statement isn't surprising, you act like I have now somehow dropped the ball.

But I'll leave this interaction at that until there is on-topic content.

I do not need to get into some cat fight about the Forum meta-drama.
You don't seem to understand what the discussion is about. I am not sure you're even trying to. You're just winging it perhaps.

It is religious people's prerogative to signal or 'hyperbolize' their certainty and sincerity about their faith with whatever adjectives they choose, but it only has traction when they are doing so with people who agree with them.

Their assertions are, nevertheless, rooted in subjectivity.