The Presidency

The Presidency

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
11 Jul 11

I think if a brillant person came upon the political scene that happened to not be a Christian, but someone that had no specific belief pertaining to God or religion, they would stand no chance of being elected to anything other than dog catcher. The thought police would see to it that no one with a free mind could ever be in office. The best people stay out of politics for a good reason. They don't stand a chance.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
12 Jul 11

Originally posted by buckky
I think if a brillant person came upon the political scene that happened to not be a Christian, but someone that had no specific belief pertaining to God or religion, they would stand no chance of being elected to anything other than dog catcher. The thought police would see to it that no one with a free mind could ever be in office. The best people stay out of politics for a good reason. They don't stand a chance.
Pete Stark is an atheist in the US House of Representatives. He's been re-elected numerous times.

You are correct, though, an atheist would have a hard time winning most offices.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
12 Jul 11

Originally posted by rwingett
Pete Stark is an atheist in the US House of Representatives. He's been re-elected numerous times.

You are correct, though, an atheist would have a hard time winning most offices.
Forget being an athiest. Just someone other than a Christian.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 11

The current Prime Minister of Australia is an atheist.

Illinois

Moves
12 Jul 11
3 edits

Give me a break. There are no 'mind police'. America is a Christian majority country—if people generally vote for those whose views conform to their own, it only makes sense that most politicians in America would be (or at least claim to be) Christian. In Muslim democracies, for the same reason, it would be difficult for a Christian or an atheist to be elected there. There's no need to conjure up something like 'mind police' in order to explain the facts.

Also, there's no reason to think that atheists are in possession of a "free mind" simply based on their lack of belief in God. The opinions of atheists are no less determined by bias or less vulnerable to prejudice than are the minds of theists. I know of several atheists in my circle of friends who have extreme prejudices and biases which cause me to question their overall judgment, and other atheist friends who do not. Belief in God or lack thereof is of little value in determining whether an individual is capable of compassionate and progressive thought.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Jul 11

The same could be said for Conservatives lately.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
12 Jul 11

Forget being an athiest. Just someone other than a Christian.
Both Keith Ellison, D-MN and André Carson, D-IN are Muslims. Mazie Hirono, D-HI and Hank Johnson, D-GA are Buddhists. Plus there are many Jewish Congress members. And then, as I said, there is the atheist, Pete Stark, from California.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Jul 11

Both Keith Ellison, D-MN and André Carson, D-IN are Muslims. Mazie Hirono, D-HI and Hank Johnson, D-GA are Buddhists. Plus there are many Jewish Congress members. And then, as I said, there is the atheist, Pete Stark, from California.
Does the demographic in government reflect the demographic in the country?

I suspect that Christians are over-represented and possibly that many politicians exagerate their religious beliefs.

Even in the UK I think an atheist politician will have a harder time than a "believer" (regardless of religion strangely). I believe atheists are the majority in UK but I;m sure someone will prove me wrong!

The problem is that most of the population are brain-washed into trusting religion. so even a staunch atheist will think that a devote Christian is a GOOD guy even while disagreing with their theism.

Cape Town

Moves
12 Jul 11

Hey! I thought Obama was Muslim! πŸ™‚

Cape Town

Moves
12 Jul 11

Originally posted by wolfgang59
The problem is that most of the population are brain-washed into trusting religion. so even a staunch atheist will think that a devote Christian is a GOOD guy even while disagreing with their theism.
I don't think that's true. I have a distrust of some Christians simply because they are Christian. I am biased towards certain denominations.

I believe that even in the US when a politician says they based their decisions on what God told them then a lot of people (even Christians) are critical of that. (both Bush and Palin have been criticized for that but maybe not by US news outlets).

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Jul 11

Not in the UK.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Jul 11

Bitchin'.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Jul 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
Hey! I thought Obama was Muslim! πŸ™‚
But he ran as a Christian, inspite of his muslim background as a child.
I don't doubt that much of his thinking is aligned with the Black Muslims
of America. He however, attended a Black Christian church headed by
a radical pastor, who preached hatred toward the White race.

Moves
12 Jul 11

John Adams was a Unitarian.

Moves
12 Jul 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
But he ran as a Christian, inspite of his muslim background as a child.
I don't doubt that much of his thinking is aligned with the Black Muslims
of America. He however, attended a Black Christian church headed by
a radical pastor, who preached hatred toward the White race.
What was his "Muslim background" as a child, and what is your evidence that his "thinking is aligned with the Black Muslims of America," whatever that means?