1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 13:07
    @ogb said
    try reading the Book of Enoch if you want a real eye-opener. which is why all those popes wouldn't let in the real Bible.. it is absolute proof that Alien races came to Earth thousands of years ago.
    I don't think "proof" means what you think it does.
  2. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 00:14
    @suzianne said
    I don't think "proof" means what you think it does.
    Interesting subject.

If something that was written is not proof, then everything that was written is not proof. You can't have a double standard. Everyone believes Cleopatra, Isaac Newton, Jesus and Napoleon really existed because they were written about, but is that 100% proof? Now sleep on that -- think about it real hard -- and see if your mind is capable of being unbiased and fair.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 00:42
    @bunnyknight said
    Everyone believes Cleopatra, Isaac Newton, Jesus and Napoleon really existed because they were written about, but is that 100% proof?
    Pertinent here, and on this forum in particular, are, firstly, the fact that what has been written about Cleopatra and Napoleon is not the product of a small group of people trying to create a breakaway religion by a producing hagiographies intended to establish a theistic cult of personality.

Secondly, and it is closely related to the first bald fact, what has been written about Cleopatra and Napoleon does not make any subjective claims about supernatural beings or phenomena*, whereas they do with Jesus and for all the certainty and firm faith that his followers have in him, the writings certainly don't provide proof that what they claim is true.

* Or, if there are such writings somewhere, no one takes it seriously.
  4. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 00:49
    @ogb said
    why did the Pope leave stuff out of the Bible ?
    We've had the The Book of Enoch referenced, not sure exactly when that was removed but late 1800's Id guess.

What other stuff are you referring to?

I have a friend who went digging on this subject and seems to think that there were over 100 books originally. Are you of that persuasion?
  5. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 00:54
    @eladar said
    Do you mean the Catholic Bible?
    The Ethiopians have got it right..their bible is the most accurate. which includes the three books of Enoch. and BTW, the Dead sea scrolls included books of Enoch ..
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 00:55
    @medullah said

What other stuff are you referring to?

I have a friend who went digging on this subject and seems to think that there were over 100 books originally. Are you of that persuasion?
    yes, your friend is correct..there are more "books" in the Ethiopian bible than King James..
  7. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 00:591 edit
    @fmf said
    Pertinent here, and on this forum in particular, are, firstly, the fact that what has been written about Cleopatra and Napoleon is not the product of a small group of people trying to create a breakaway religion by a producing hagiographies intended to establish a theistic cult of personality.
    that's a good point. I mean plenty of Christians believe in Noah..well guess who his great grandfather was? answer= Enoch...Methuselah was Enoch's son..who was Lamech's father.
    Also, many religions completely believe in the "Great Flood"...but people with open minds will read Enoch's "The Book of Giants" to see the real reasons for the flood.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 01:45
    @ogb said
    The Ethiopians have got it right..their bible is the most accurate. which includes the three books of Enoch. and BTW, the Dead sea scrolls included books of Enoch ..
    So the popes did not keep it out of all Bibles.

You give popes too much authority.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 04:12
    @ogb said
    that's a good point. I mean plenty of Christians believe in Noah..well guess who his great grandfather was? answer= Enoch...Methuselah was Enoch's son..who was Lamech's father.
    Also, many religions completely believe in the "Great Flood"...but people with open minds will read Enoch's "The Book of Giants" to see the real reasons for the flood.
    Still no aliens, dude.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 07:222 edits
    @ogb said
    try reading the Book of Enoch if you want a real eye-opener. which is why all those popes wouldn't let in the real Bible.. it is absolute proof that Alien races came to Earth thousands of years ago.
    Oh dear.

Edit; @Earl-of-Trumps might be interested; he’s into his belief about aliens buzzing around in our atmosphere.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 13:38
    @eladar said
    You really do not know much about Christian denominations, nor Christian Bibles.

Kind of funny to see such an ignorant person asking such an ignorant question.

It would be like me trying to pose questions to Wiccans. I have no desire to do that so I wonder why you had the desire to ask this.

Odd
    Arrogant, rude, hypocritical and condescending, all in one post! Remarkable. I guess your self-appointed special position is more powerful than mine.
  12. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 20:101 edit
    @ogb said
    yes, your friend is correct..there are more "books" in the Ethiopian bible than King James..
    Thank you for that. I didn't even realise that there was an Ethiopian bible ! I'll take a look at that.

Going back to the original question I think it probably to do with power and control. My friend often comments "who gave them the right to decide what was in the bible?" A moot question.

I don't think that Rome was too keen on the bible becoming something that the commoner could access, particularly thanks to the invention of the printing press, which ultimately meant that the teachings of Rome could be challenged.

I was initially raised in a Catholic environment, and it was no fun. They seemed to revel in the idea that the priesthood could damn a person who stepped out of line to an eternity in a burning fiery torment. Quite a control mechanism if you can convince the less well read of the certainty of this prospect. Once you stop believing in that, and a whole lot of other questionable stuff, you actually become free.

Maybe there is more stuff in those removed books that could further erode their authority?
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 20:22
    @avalanchethecat said
    Arrogant, rude, hypocritical and condescending, all in one post! Remarkable. I guess your self-appointed special position is more powerful than mine.
    Rude for pointing out that he does not have a clue about a group of people which he knows nothing about?

If you want to see rude and self righteous take a look in the mirror.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 20:28
    @eladar said
    Rude for pointing out that he does not have a clue about a group of people which he knows nothing about?

If you want to see rude and self righteous take a look in the mirror.
    Oh I think you do a sterling job of demonstrating both.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 20:34
    @avalanchethecat said
    Oh I think you do a sterling job of demonstrating both.
    You are not doing a bad job yourself.

Let us look at the facts....

The claim is that the popes are keeping books out of Bibles.

The Ethiopean Bible contains the books in their Bible.

This means that the popes have not prevented Bibles from being printed containing those books.

The source of this info, the person starting the tread.

Perhaps you can answer this question...

Does the Pope dictate what Calvinists believe?

Or are you uneducated on this subject?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree