1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 20:54
    @eladar said
    You are not doing a bad job yourself.

Let us look at the facts....

The claim is that the popes are keeping books out of Bibles.

The Ethiopean Bible contains the books in their Bible.

This means that the popes have not prevented Bibles from being printed containing those books.

The source of this info, the person starting the tread.

Perhaps you can answer th ...[text shortened]... tion...

Does the Pope dictate what Calvinists believe?

Or are you uneducated on this subject?
    It seems unlikely to me that Pope Francis has a great deal of influence on the beliefs of self-avowed Calvinists. I freely admit it's not an area I'd claim any great expertise in however, nor would I feel particularly impressed with myself if I did.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 20:58
    @avalanchethecat said
    It seems unlikely to me that Pope Francis has a great deal of influence on the beliefs of self-avowed Calvinists. I freely admit it's not an area I'd claim any great expertise in however, nor would I feel particularly impressed with myself if I did.
    So you admit that from your limited knowledge that Popes did not stop Calvinists from adding books to the Bible.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 21:12
    @eladar said
    So you admit that from your limited knowledge that Popes did not stop Calvinists from adding books to the Bible.
    Ha ha, is that what you think I said?

I do admire your admission that you are overly impressed with yourself though.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 21:18
    @avalanchethecat said
    Ha ha, is that what you think I said?

I do admire your admission that you are overly impressed with yourself though.
    Do you believe Popes tell Calvinists what books should be in their Bibles?
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 21:33
    @eladar said
    Do you believe Popes tell Calvinists what books should be in their Bibles?
    I do not.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 21:52
    @avalanchethecat said
    I do not.
    So you agree with me.

Op says that Popes do dictate the books in a Calvinist's Bible.

Btw, if you want to find evidence of aliens in the Bible look at Genesis 6, the Nephilim.
  7. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 03:19
    @fmf said
    Pertinent here, and on this forum in particular, are, firstly, the fact that what has been written about Cleopatra and Napoleon is not the product of a small group of people trying to create a breakaway religion by a producing hagiographies intended to establish a theistic cult of personality.

Secondly, and it is closely related to the first bald fact, what has been written a ...[text shortened]... what they claim is true.

* Or, if there are such writings somewhere, no one takes it seriously.
    You might be over-complicating things a bit.
    The point is that any old writings can be full of factual observations, or false assumptions, or pure lies, or wishful fantasy, or a combination of any of those, and to cherry-pick only some of those and twist them to fit ones own agenda is simply wrong and deceitful.

In looking for the truth, the best we can do is to assimilate all the clues we can find and try to extrapolate the best possible theory using a mindset free of bias, greed, preconceived-beliefs and prejudice.

Unfortunately, most people prefer to believe in comfortable 'truth' instead of uncomfortable reality.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 05:58
    @bunnyknight said
    a mindset free of bias, greed, preconceived-beliefs and prejudice.
    That's impossible. The best we can do is correct for our biases as best we can.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 07:40
    @eladar said
    So you agree with me.

Op says that Popes do dictate the books in a Calvinist's Bible.

Btw, if you want to find evidence of aliens in the Bible look at Genesis 6, the Nephilim.
    After a fashion, but you are being disingenuous if you claim that officials of the Church of Rome have had no influence over the content of said bibles, so the Op does have a point, albeit not expressed as specifically as you might like.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 08:52
    @bunnyknight said
    You might be over-complicating things a bit.
    I disagree [while agreeing with the rest of what you posted].

I'd say I have over-simplified it rather than over-complicated it.

The writing we have about Jesus is a hagiography. This is not so with Cleopatra and Napoleon. Indeed, one can probably distil quite a lot of objective facts from the range of views that have been formed by historians looking at primary sources pertaining to the lives of Cleopatra and Napoleon.

Meanwhile, the defining thrust of the writing we have about Jesus concerns supernatural things, so no amount of writing by people who believe in those supernatural things is going to turn their subjective views into objective ones.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 15:26
    @avalanchethecat said
    After a fashion, but you are being disingenuous if you claim that officials of the Church of Rome have had no influence over the content of said bibles, so the Op does have a point, albeit not expressed as specifically as you might like.
    The fact is that Popes are not keeping certain books out of the Bible. This was the claim. The claim was false.

This is all that I said.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 17:52
    @eladar said
    The fact is that Popes are not keeping certain books out of the Bible. This was the claim. The claim was false.

This is all that I said.
    Well that's not quite true is it. The Op was that the pope had left stuff out of the bible, which isn't quite the same thing, and you didn't just say the claim was false, you also insulted the poster.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 17:57
    @avalanchethecat said
    Well that's not quite true is it. The Op was that the pope had left stuff out of the bible, which isn't quite the same thing, and you didn't just say the claim was false, you also insulted the poster.
    He said all Bibles in reply to my question.

It is obvious the Pope is not the person responsible for Bible content.

These books being left out of scripture dates back to a time before Jesus was born. It was the Jewish leaders who kept it out of their holy book, which was adopted as the Old Testament in Bibles.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 18:161 edit
    @eladar said
    He said all Bibles in reply to my question.

It is obvious the Pope is not the person responsible for Bible content.

These books being left out of scripture dates back to a time before Jesus was born. It was the Jewish leaders who kept it out of their holy book, which was adopted as the Old Testament in Bibles.
    So you admit that he didn't say that the popes were "keeping certain books out of the Bible"? And that you insulted the poster? So you [gasp] lied?! On the internet? Who would even do such a thing? What sort of power does your self-appointed special position have?!
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '21 18:28
    @avalanchethecat said
    So you admit that he didn't say that the popes were "keeping certain books out of the Bible"? And that you insulted the poster? So you [gasp] lied?! On the internet? Who would even do such a thing? What sort of power does your self-appointed special position have?!
    No, I am saying he did.

I guess we will just disagree.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree