the insanity of faith

the insanity of faith

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
15 Sep 17

Patton Oswalt. I saw it in a book I like, therefore it is real.

Moves
15 Sep 17

Originally posted by @apathist
[youtube]6AjyopaiKqM[/youtube]

Patton Oswalt. I saw it in a book I like, therefore it is real.
1 Cor 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
15 Sep 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
1 Cor 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
You should've added verse 19.

E

Moves
15 Sep 17
1 edit

Everyone puts faith into something unprovable.

w

Moves
15 Sep 17

We're all crazy I tell ya! 😲

O

Moves
16 Sep 17

I think everything comes down to a balance of probability.Our present state of intellectual capability dictates that a belief in absolute fact is perhaps an unwise position to take.As and when new information becomes available,our view of existence should change?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Sep 17

Originally posted by @odbod
I think everything comes down to a balance of probability.Our present state of intellectual capability dictates that a belief in absolute fact is perhaps an unwise position to take.As and when new information becomes available,our view of existence should change?
I think you have a point, but what we are running into with faith with respect to God and
the universe is this. We have from our perspective an endless universe, so our intellectual
capability can only take in so much, so our views are ever changing. This will remain the
case throughout all of time if we and the universe were all there were.

With God the limitless has a name, has a purpose, a plan, and has put together a design.
He has even told us that He is a sure foundation, and compares what it is without Him as
shifting sand, ever learning, but never coming to the knowledge. I think that describes
what you just said, we would be forever aware that our views will always be changing.

When the limitless speaks to the limited, what should our response be?

O

Moves
16 Sep 17

Originally posted by @kellyjay
I think you have a point, but what we are running into with faith with respect to God and
the universe is this. We have from our perspective an endless universe, so our intellectual
capability can only take in so much, so our views are ever changing. This will remain the
case throughout all of time if we and the universe were all there were.

With God ...[text shortened]... ll always be changing.

When the limitless speaks to the limited, what should our response be?
Given that we both agree that our minds have limited capacity,our absolute belief in anything,including the existence of a god must have an element of doubt associated with it.It may well be the case that it is our lot to learn more yet never come to full understanding.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Sep 17

Given that we both agree that our minds have limited capacity,our absolute belief in anything,including the existence of a god must have an element of doubt associated with it.It may well be the case that it is our lot to learn more yet never come to full understanding.
I agree, which is where faith comes in.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
16 Sep 17

Acknowledged under these circumstances, "faith" is merely lucky guessing. Not a good quality of faith I reckon. However

say I have a diamond in one of my closed palms and you trust me in full, because you know me quite well and you are quite sure I honor my word and I do not lie on you. In this case, you remain sceptical simply as regards whether I hold the diamond in my left or in my right palm. But, in case you neither know nor trust me, you may then choose to develop the "faith" that I really keep a diamond in one palm of mine. I 'm a hardcore atheist, but if I were a theist I would be quite sure that G-d is existent -because I would really know G-d coceptually and non-conceptually, and thus I would trust in G-d. The belief in G-d's existence must be one thousand per cent strong. You have to know and fell G-d deep down in order to believe, you have to inhale G-d and exhale G-d, otherwise it does not work my feer, dead in the ocean of deep ignorance you remain;
😵

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Sep 17

Originally posted by @black-beetle
Acknowledged under these circumstances, "faith" is merely lucky guessing. Not a good quality of faith I reckon. However

say I have a diamond in one of my closed palms and you trust me in full, because you know me quite well and you are quite sure I honor my word and I do not lie on you. In this case, you remain sceptical simply as regards whether I ...[text shortened]... ale G-d, otherwise it does not work my feer, dead in the ocean of deep ignorance you remain;
😵
You realize God is not just a musing of man. Being our creator who when He was done molding us from the dust of the earth, breathed into us giving us life. The bound between us broken by our betrayal breaking faith with Him.

Not much about us is different now from then, we either seek and trust or not.

Moves
17 Sep 17

Originally posted by @kellyjay
You realize God is not just a musing of man. Being our creator who when He was done molding us from the dust of the earth, breathed into us giving us life. The bound between us broken by our betrayal breaking faith with Him.

Not much about us is different now from then, we either seek and trust or not.
If we take as a starting point that Adam and Eve were not meant to be taken literally (bearing in mind we evolved as a species) on what grounds did mankind break faith and betray God?

(You probably don't like my starting point).

Moves
17 Sep 17

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
If we take as a starting point that Adam and Eve were not meant to be taken literally (bearing in mind we evolved as a species) on what grounds did mankind break faith and betray God?

What undeniable evidence do you have that contradicts the biblical account of creation?

Moves
17 Sep 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
What undeniable evidence do you have that contradicts the biblical account of creation?
Did you miss the part where I referenced evolution? (Heavily evidenced). And we were discussing Adam and Eve, rather than creation itself.

What undeniable corroborating evidence do you have that the bible account of Adam and Eve is accurate?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Sep 17

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

I take them as literal, there are a lot of things you don't take literally in scripture and things
you change the meanings of that I believe puts you in error. Such as suggesting that the
OT God is different than the NT God.

Adam and Eve broke faith with God, when Adam and Eve didn't take God at His Word
disobeying God. The consequence was now they were no longer the in the image of God,
but became less than, sinners. They got one of the things they wanted, knowledge about
good and evil, but at a cost we are still suffering.

I heard something the other day about that point in time, what gave them this knowledge?
Was it something within the fruit that altered their DNA so that they knew good and evil,
or was just because they disobeyed God, they knew evil by experiencing it, since that was
not part of their life before, only good was. So the very act of disobeying God killed them
by cutting them off of having a perfect relationship with God.