The Human Need of God

The Human Need of God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
10 Mar 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
I love how you never answer questions.
What, you mean your questions like "Are you wearing a bra and panties?" and "Did you create the account called Duchess64?"

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Mar 18

Originally posted by @fmf
So are adherents to the Christian religion required to engage in "regular and frequent reading of the Bible and prayer"?
We’re not going to connect on this because you don’t give any credence to the idea that God’s Holy Spirit could indwell someone and change his or her heart and behavior and lead them.

But because we are still living in the flesh and have free will, our tendency will be to behave carnally, or in the flesh. So, yes, regular and frequent reading of the Bible and prayer strengthens the influence of the Spirit in our lives and keeps us within God’s will.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Mar 18

What, you mean your questions like "Are you wearing a bra and panties?" and "Did you create the account called Duchess64?"
When you’re simultaneously attacked by five people who falsely call you a liar and all other manner of invective and mock your mother, let’s see how you respond.

I’ll freely admit I responded poorly. That was due to my being out of God’s Word and prayer. Had I been in God’s Word and prayer, I probably would have logged off and just ignored it.

F

Moves
10 Mar 18

We’re not going to connect on this because you don’t give any credence to the idea that God’s Holy Spirit could indwell someone and change his or her heart and behavior and lead them.

But because we are still living in the flesh and have free will, our tendency will be to behave carnally, or in the flesh. So, yes, regular and frequent reading of the B ...[text shortened]... and prayer strengthens the influence of the Spirit in our lives and keeps us within God’s will.
I am just asking you about whether there is a requirement to follow the Christian God's [or Jesus'] commandments. You seem to be saying, pretty unequivocally, the answer is 'no, there is no such requirement'. This must be an ideology from one of the 40,000 denominations I have never encountered because it is new to me.

F

Moves
10 Mar 18

When you’re simultaneously attacked by five people who falsely call you a liar and all other manner of invective and mock your mother, let’s see how you respond.
Quote the posts of mine where I did this.

F

Moves
10 Mar 18

What evidence is there that this has happened to you?

S. Korea

Moves
10 Mar 18

If I am not mistaken, virtually all religions seem to promise a life after death - in some form or other - in return for adherence. This suggests - to me at least -that such a supposed 'reward' simply reflects the rather understandable aspirations and insecurities of mortal humans - across every culture, and right down through history - rather than reflect any truth in the notion of supernatural immortality for human beings.
Jainism technically only promises complete secession from pain.

I also recollect something about how the primitive Babylonian religion has some elements that suggest that one simply goes to dwell below the earth and "eat dust," and that this hasn't been interpreted as some literal conscious state but seizing all functions. But I am really not able to talk much about this... because I am almost positive that this evolved into something else.

I do recollect there were a few native American tribes that believed nothing happens after death. I think it was the Blackfoot. There were creator gods, though.

S. Korea

Moves
10 Mar 18

I also can't lie: the human psyche is insecure and people do want Heaven and Hell to exist in some cases.

But I would also say that atheism provides its own kind of comfort as it releases one from obligations, so to speak.

Religion can be stressful.

F

Moves
10 Mar 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
Jainism technically only promises complete secession from pain.

I also recollect something about how the primitive Babylonian religion has some elements that suggest that one simply goes to dwell below the earth and "eat dust," and that this hasn't been interpreted as some literal conscious state but seizing all functions. But I am really not able to ...[text shortened]... eved nothing happens after death. I think it was the Blackfoot. There were creator gods, though.
So?

F

Moves
10 Mar 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
But I would also say that atheism provides its own kind of comfort as it releases one from obligations, so to speak.
What "obligations"?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Mar 18

I am just asking you about whether there is a requirement to follow the Christian God's [or Jesus'] commandments. You seem to be saying, pretty unequivocally, the answer is 'no, there is no such requirement'. This must be an ideology from one of the 40,000 denominations I have never encountered because it is new to me.
I’m not saying that at all; you’re misrepresenting me.

Before we initiated this conversation, you were speaking on salvation. So I said what was necessary for salvation.

I then said at least twice the process by which one stays within God’s will (or, in your parlance, keeps God’s commandments.) It’s not through human effort. Trying to keep God’s commandments by human effort is a guaranteed fail, which is why God instituted the sacrificial system to atone for sins in the Old Testament.

Staying within God’s will through the power of God’s indwelt Holy Spirit is a guaranteed success, which is why regular and frequent reading of the Bible and prayer are essential - so the influence of the Spirit in a believer’s life is as strong as possible.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Mar 18

Quote the posts of mine where I did this.
Did you miss where I said I was simultaneously attacked by five people?

Did you not see the “five” part of the sentence?

F

Moves
10 Mar 18

Before we initiated this conversation, you were speaking on salvation. So I said what was necessary for salvation.
I was 'speaking' exactly this, in fact: If I am not mistaken, virtually all religions seem to promise a life after death - in some form or other - in return for adherence. This suggests - to me at least -that such a supposed 'reward' simply reflects the rather understandable aspirations and insecurities of mortal humans - across every culture, and right down through history - rather than reflect any truth in the notion of supernatural immortality for human beings.

F

Moves
10 Mar 18

Did you miss where I said I was simultaneously attacked by five people?

Did you not see the “five” part of the sentence?
Quote the post of mine where I called you "a liar and all other manner of invective and mocked your mother".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Mar 18

I was 'speaking' exactly this, in fact: [b]If I am not mistaken, virtually all religions seem to promise a life after death - in some form or other - in return for adherence. This suggests - to me at least -that such a supposed 'reward' simply reflects the rather understandable aspirations and insecurities of mortal humans - across every culture, and right down ...[text shortened]... - rather than reflect any truth in the notion of supernatural immortality for human beings.[/b]
So you’re agreeing that you were speaking about salvation initially? That was why I responded in our initial posts as though your inquiry was still related to salvation.