The first years of the Spirituality Forum

The first years of the Spirituality Forum

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
10 Feb 22

@rajk999 said
That one really made me laugh. Someone said there are 3 options .... therefore there is no other option .. lol 😀
Well, at the very least, maybe, one could claim that a false trilemma is a quantitative upgrade of a false dilemma.

The rather dim ~ and for the dim ~ C.S. Lewis made the "there are only three options" thing famous. But he may have got it from Watchman Nee, who in turn may have lifted it from some nobody-in-particular in the C19th.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 22

@fmf said
It sounds like "someone" ought not to have restricted the choice to three options then. It's a clumsy false "trilemma" logical fallacy. This "someone" was a propagandist, clearly.
That “someone” was C.S. Lewis, a respected scholar and author of Christian apologetics.

But of course you, a former Christian who needs Christians to explain what they believe, knows far more about Christianity and Jesus Christ than C.S. Lewis does.

Here’s his argument:

<<I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronising nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to. . . . Now it seems to me obvious that He was neither a lunatic nor a fiend: and consequently, however strange or terrifying or unlikely it may seem, I have to accept the view that He was and is God. (Mere Christianity, 55-56)>>

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justin-taylor/is-c-s-lewiss-liar-lord-or-lunatic-argument-unsound/

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 22

@rajk999 said
That one really made me laugh. Someone said there are 3 options .... therefore there is no other option .. lol 😀
Oh look. rajk999 agreeing with an atheist, and an atheist agreeing with rajk999.

Never would have expected that 🙄

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 22

@fmf said
Well, at the very least, maybe, one could claim that a false trilemma is a quantitative upgrade of a false dilemma.

The rather dim ~ and for the dim ~ C.S. Lewis made the "there are only three options" thing famous. But he may have got it from Watchman Nee, who in turn may have lifted it from some nobody-in-particular in the C19th.
Maybe you should have Googled who said that quote *before* you made a fool of yourself in your first response to it.

F

Moves
10 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
That “someone” was C.S. Lewis, a respected scholar and author of Christian apologetics.
I think he is nothing more than a propagandist ~ and an irrepressibly trite one ~ posing as a philosopher. I am pretty familiar with his work.

F

Moves
10 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Maybe you should have Googled who said that quote *before* you made a fool of yourself in your first response to it.
How have I "made a fool of" myself?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 22

@fmf said

And you haven’t explained why someone should consider Jesus Christ a good teacher and why they should think he has authority or credibility if they don’t believe the numerous supernatural claims He made about Himself.

BTW, have you gotten your “moral compass” out of the repair shop yet?

You shouldn’t have waited so long before getting it fixed. You probably invalidated your warranty on it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 22

@fmf said
I think he is nothing more than a propagandist ~ and an irrepressibly trite one ~ posing as a philosopher. I am pretty familiar with his work.
Clearly you had no idea who ssid that - which is why you put “someone” in quotes - and now you’re trying to cover up your ignorance by pretending you knew all along.

Transparent and shameless.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 22

@fmf said
How have I "made a fool of" myself?
Only a fool would need that explained.

Oh wait,

F

Moves
10 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
And you haven’t explained why someone should consider Jesus Christ a good teacher and why they should think he has authority or credibility if they don’t believe the numerous supernatural claims He made about Himself.
Whether he existed as depicted or not, the people constructing the cult of personality around him decades after his death attributed to him some morally sound teachings. Whether he actually said those things does not alter the moral quality of what he is purported to have said.

F

Moves
10 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Only a fool would need that explained.
You'd have to explain because there's nothing foolish about the post you were responding to.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Feb 22

@pb1022 said

But of course you, a former Christian who needs Christians to explain what they believe, knows far more about Christianity and Jesus Christ than C.S. Lewis does.

Here’s his argument:

<<I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Hi ...[text shortened]... /www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justin-taylor/is-c-s-lewiss-liar-lord-or-lunatic-argument-unsound/
The lunatic is the man that believes that nonsense CW Lewis wrote

F

Moves
10 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Clearly you had no idea who ssid that - which is why you put “someone” in quotes - and now you’re trying to cover up your ignorance by pretending you knew all along.
There's no ignorance involved. You used the word "someone" for some reason, so I quoted you and put it in quotation marks. This little bit of propaganda ~ attribute it to whomsoever you want ~ has been discussed more than half a dozen times on this forum in the last decade. It's nothing new.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 22

@fmf said
Whether he existed as depicted or not, the people constructing the cult of personality around him decades after his death attributed to him some morally sound teachings. Whether he actually said those things does not alter the moral quality of what he is purported to have said.
Whatever you, sailor.

I think your ship sailed quite a few posts ago.

Most of what Jesus Christ spoke of concerned salvation and what was pleasing to God, neither of which an atheist believes in.

And who are you to judge what’s moral? And on what basis are you judging it?

And I’d prefer you not say something trite like “My moral compass,” though I suspect you will.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 22

@fmf said
There's no ignorance involved. You used the word "someone" for some reason, so I quoted you and put it in quotation marks. This little bit of propaganda ~ attribute it to whomsoever you want ~ has been discussed more than half a dozen times on this forum in the last decade. It's nothing new.
How is that propaganda?

You go to get your car fixed and the mechanic tells you what he thinks is wrong with it and then tells you he knows a lot about cars because he was a carburetor in his previous life.

You gonna leave your car with him or find another mechanic?