The Beginning Of Relgion

The Beginning Of Relgion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
06 Jul 17

Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire

E

Moves
06 Jul 17

Originally posted by 667joe
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire
Any worldview is a person's religion.

w

Moves
06 Jul 17

It used to be that collectivists made us think that they were a god, but when that fell out of favor, then they made us think that they spoke for God, but when that fell out of favor, they said that there is no God, as they filled the void of God and savoir to mankind once again.

Yes, it was these same voices that put Christ on a cross.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Jul 17

Originally posted by Eladar
Any worldview is a person's religion.
Every dictionary I can find seems to disagree with you.

E

Moves
06 Jul 17

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Every dictionary I can find seems to disagree with you.
Of course not, you want to believe I am wrong. Look for a definition that has to do with personal belief or conscience since these are based on one's worldview.

All beliefs are based on unprovable assumptions.

Moves
06 Jul 17

Of course not, you want to believe I am wrong. Look for a definition that has to do with personal belief or conscience since these are based on one's worldview.

All beliefs are based on unprovable assumptions.
My belief, that you don't know what you're talking about, is very much a provable assumption.

JO

Moves
06 Jul 17

Millions of young Americans are following a new, anti-religion. It has one Commandment: "Please thyself." It has no beliefs, because it is based on rejection of others' beliefs. Without beliefs, the brain contains a vacuum, which is filled by social and political opportunists who know an easy mark when they see one.

T

Moves
06 Jul 17
3 edits

Originally posted by John Osmar
Millions of young Americans are following a new, anti-religion. It has one Commandment: "Please thyself." It has no beliefs, because it is based on rejection of others' beliefs. Without beliefs, the brain contains a vacuum, which is filled by social and political opportunists who know an easy mark when they see one.
Of course they still have beliefs. Many of them have traditional religious beliefs.

What religions do you think don't have beliefs that are self-serving?

E

Moves
06 Jul 17

Originally posted by John Osmar
The vacuum is filled with other religious beliefs that people claim are not religious.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Jul 17

Don't get excited - I was just challenging your definition of religion.
Why do you think it not in dictionaries?

E

Moves
07 Jul 17

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Don't get excited - I was just challenging your definition of religion.
Why do you think it not in dictionaries?
As I pointed out, it is in the dictionary. I found it in dictionary.com

I didn't bother looking at other sites.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jul 17

The inventor of the world's first religion was Cain (Genesis 4:1-9)

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Jul 17

Originally posted by whodey
It used to be that collectivists made us think that they were a god, but when that fell out of favor, then they made us think that they spoke for God, but when that fell out of favor, they said that there is no God, as they filled the void of God and savoir to mankind once again.

Yes, it was these same voices that put Christ on a cross.
You DO know that Christianity and Libertarianism aren't the best roommates, yes?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Jul 17

Originally posted by sonship
The inventor of the world's first religion was Cain [b](Genesis 4:1-9)[/b]
Hebrews 11:4 says that "By faith Abel offered up a more excellent sacrifice than Cain". So presumably, Cain's offering was not made "by faith". Some Bible commentary says that Cain's offering was the effort of "dead religion", but I'm not sure what this means.

F

Moves
07 Jul 17

Originally posted by Suzianne
You DO know that Christianity and Libertarianism aren't the best roommates, yes?
What would be the problem with someone being a politically Libertarian Christian who, say, did good works, helped the poor, and generally followed Jesus' commandments?