The adversary is within

The adversary is within

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Feb 22

@fmf said
None of these are "absolutes", regardless of how ubiquitous or popular they are.
Should I take it that the only absolute there is, is that there are no absolutes? Which when said displays the contradiction immediately.

F

Moves
17 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Should I take it that the only absolute there is, is that there are no absolutes?
I would not call it an "absolute". I would call it my subjective opinion. And we're talking about stuff like morality and supernaturalism. Not absolute zero and other things with an empirical basis.

F

Moves
17 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Which when said displays the contradiction immediately.
I haven't contradicted myself at all.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Feb 22
2 edits

@FMF

All we are sharing here are our subjective perspectives.

Can our subjective perspectives ever involve what is also absolutely true?

Can our subjective perspectives ever involve what is also absolutely false?

Can our subjective perspectives ever involve what is also absolutely right ?

Can our subjective perspectives ever involve what is also absolutely wrong?

F

Moves
17 Feb 22

@sonship said
Can our subjective perspectives ever involve what is also absolutely true?

Can our subjective perspectives ever involve what is also absolutely false?

Can our subjective perspectives ever involve what is also absolutely right ?

Can our subjective perspectives ever involve what is also absolutely wrong?
If we're talking about stuff like perspectives on morality and supernaturalism, I don't believe so, no.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
17 Feb 22

@fmf said
I am not aware of one.
Are you aware of any absolute objective standards?

Does your unawareness mean none exist?

What proof do you require to be aware of an absolute objective standard?

Would that proof be observed by you internally or externally or both?

I am aware your reply was made in another context.

F

Moves
17 Feb 22
1 edit

@josephw said
Are you aware of any absolute objective standards?
As I said to sonship, if we're talking about stuff like perspectives on morality and supernaturalism, I am not aware of any, no.

F

Moves
17 Feb 22

@josephw said
What proof do you require to be aware of an absolute objective standard?Would that proof be observed by you internally or externally or both?
In what context?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Feb 22
2 edits

@FMF

If we're talking about stuff like perspectives on morality and supernaturalism, I don't believe so, no.

Red herring?
This seems a switch of subject matter to a debate about the supernatural.

You know you have a way of not committing to concepts.

Can subjectivity involve what is absolutely true - whether the supernatural is or is not involved?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
17 Feb 22

@fmf said
In what context?
@sonship said What culture ever on earth considered lusting after one's own mother is honorable?

You answered and said "I am not aware of one."

That context.

Pardon me, but I don't really read a lot of the posts you reply to except to scan quickly. I noticed in a few prior posts the terms "standard" and "absolute" mentioned, so I ask you in response to your reply to sonship's odd question what "absolute standards", if any, are you aware of.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
17 Feb 22

@fmf said
As I said to sonship, if we're talking about stuff like perspectives on morality and supernaturalism, I am not aware of any, no.
That's fine. Are there any standards that you might consider absolute that you're aware of in the whole wide world?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Feb 22

@fmf said
I would not call it an "absolute". I would call it my subjective opinion. And we're talking about stuff like morality and supernaturalism. Not absolute zero and other things with an empirical basis.
Your opinion changes as you see fit, you are not what is being discussed when we are looking at what is an absolute truth instead of a subjective one. Absolute truth is a certainty that will not change, it is a hard fact, it will remain so changeless due to opinion or time.

That which contradicts it self is not an absolute truth. To make the truth claim there is no such thing as truth if true is false so it contradicts itself. As your position on no absolutes, that is an absolute statement. Your opinion can be what ever you want and you can hold contradictions as truth in your mind, it just wouldn’t be wise.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Feb 22

@josephw said
@sonship said What culture ever on earth considered lusting after one's own mother is honorable?

You answered and said "I am not aware of one."

That context.

Pardon me, but I don't really read a lot of the posts you reply to except to scan quickly. I noticed in a few prior posts the terms "standard" and "absolute" mentioned, so I ask you in response to your reply to sonship's odd question what "absolute standards", if any, are you aware of.
Do you think there is anything that is always good or always wrong regardless of time and place? You are either going to accept everything as permissible or reject somethings. Even having the discussion shows an awareness of truth.

F

Moves
18 Feb 22

@sonship said
This seems a switch of subject matter to a debate about the supernatural.
Perspectives on stuff like morality and supernaturalism is what I said.

F

Moves
18 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Do you think there is anything that is always good or always wrong regardless of time and place?
Do I personally think so? Yes.