Starlight

Starlight

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Nov 13

For young earth creationists:
Given that the nearests star is about 4 light years away and God made stars during the first 6 days, does this mean that the night sky was totally black apart from the moon for the first 4 years, and then the stars gradually appeared one by one over the next centuries?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Nov 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
Given that the nearests star is about 4 light years away and God made stars during the first 6 days, does this mean that the night sky was totally black apart from the moon for the first 4 years, and then the stars gradually appeared one by one over the next centuries?
I do not know if I am a yec or oec, but either way, what difference would it make one way or the other, if the sky was totally black or not?

Cape Town

Moves
10 Nov 13

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I do not know if I am a yec or oec, but either way, what difference would it make one way or the other, if the sky was totally black or not?
I just thought it was an interesting thought experiment. God makes stars to light up the sky, but four years later, you can still only see one star. I'm leaving out the problem that most stars we see today should not be visible if the universe is less than 10,000 years old, I am just asking what would have been visible in Adams first week of life.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Nov 13

I just thought it was an interesting thought experiment. God makes stars to light up the sky, but four years later, you can still only see one star. I'm leaving out the problem that most stars we see today should not be visible if the universe is less than 10,000 years old, I am just asking what would have been visible in Adams first week of life.
Where do you get the 4 years later?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Nov 13

Because God made the stars on the 4th 24-hr period, according to YECs.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Nov 13

Where do you get the 4 years later?
Light takes time to travel.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Nov 13

Originally posted by Rajk999
Light takes time to travel.
Now that is interesting...

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Nov 13

Genesis does not tell us all the details, but as a young earth creationist, I believe the sun, moon, and stars were all visible from earth within the first week.

The Instructor

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
10 Nov 13

The moon gave light at night. What if back then too the eyes were as strong as owls?

Cape Town

Moves
10 Nov 13

Originally posted by RBHILL
The moon gave light at night. What if back then too the eyes were as strong as owls?
I have no idea what relevance strong eyes would have, you still wouldn't see any stars for the first four years, and even then, only one star.
Even after 15 years, you wouldn't see very many stars:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_stars
Probably no more than 10 visible to the naked eye at any given time.
Of course even now we should not be able to see as far as the centre of the milky way galaxy as it is 26,000–28,000 light years away.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Nov 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
Genesis does not tell us all the details, but as a young earth creationist, I believe the sun, moon, and stars were all visible from earth within the first week.

The Instructor
How would that be possible? Unless God supernaturally made the light travel faster?

R

California

Moves
10 Nov 13

How would that be possible? Unless God supernaturally made the light travel faster?
I thought with God all things are possible?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Nov 13

Originally posted by RBHILL
I thought with God all things are possible?
Yes, but this would be a presumption. How do you know the stars were there for Adam?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Nov 13

There are stars that are billions of light years away. How can we see these?

Why can we see ANY star further away than 6,000 lys, if the universe is only 6,000 years old?

R

California

Moves
11 Nov 13

Yes, but this would be a presumption. How do you know the stars were there for Adam?
We don't know? But for Job some constellation are mentioned.