Sermon competition

Sermon competition

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
07 Sep 11

Originally posted by rwingett
That didn't take much.
You should do it.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Sep 11

Originally posted by FMF
You should do it.
I want to compete. Assuming the judges choose a halfway decent topic, that is.

F

Moves
07 Sep 11

I want to compete. Assuming the judges choose a halfway decent topic, that is.
I had concise and cogent pieces in mind. The thought that people might want - and be allowed - to write as much as they possibly can within certain technological limits of the web site, suddenly dawned on me, and I realized my commitment and interest might not really be in alignment.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Sep 11

Originally posted by FMF
I had concise and cogent pieces in mind. The thought that people might want - and be allowed - to write as much as they possibly can within certain technological limits of the web site, suddenly dawned on me, and I realized my commitment and interest might not really be in alignment.
There is a character limit to what you can fit into one post. I don't recall what it is off the top of my head, though.

F

Moves
07 Sep 11

There is a character limit to what you can fit into one post.
Yes, I know. Too much. Too long. For me at least.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Sep 11

Originally posted by FMF
Yes, I know. Too much. Too long. For me at least.
Most of the contestants will probably fill theirs up with a litany of bible quotes that you could safely skim over.

F

Moves
07 Sep 11

Most of the contestants will probably fill theirs up with a litany of bible quotes that you could safely skim over.
I hadn't thought it through before I volunteered.

w

Moves
07 Sep 11

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
i'm philosophically opposed to judging. what will be will be. as for the sermon, i'm not much for limiting rules. it means i would have to fit my ideas into a box constructed by someone else.

i'll just wait and see for now.
Who is going to stop you? Go ahead and post what comes from the heart. What are you afraid of, disqualification?

As for the competition, its just adds a little interest to the mix. Who cares who wins or loses?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Sep 11

Originally posted by whodey
Who is going to stop you? Go ahead and post what comes from the heart. What are you afraid of, disqualification?

As for the competition, its just adds a little interest to the mix. Who cares who wins or loses?
Get us another judge, O fearless leader.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Sep 11

Is this dead in the water, or what?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 Sep 11

Is this dead in the water, or what?
yo it's me?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Sep 11

This comment and the lack of any Christians on the judging panel leaves me no choice but to abstain from this exercise in futility.

I'm sure glad any Christian offerings will be handled in such a fair manner. (/sarcasm off) Bible quotes are usually included in sermons to illustrate the message of the sermon. In fact, sermons are usually religious in nature, so the idea of an atheist sermon seems ludicrous to me on the face of it. But my point that the atheist sermons would necessarily be marked high and the Christian sermons marked low by the atheist judges seems like a no-brainer and the reason for my calling the whole exercise futile.

(I haven't read enough comments by yo it's me in here to ascertain if he/she is Christian or not. If so, my apologies.)

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 Sep 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
This comment and the lack of any Christians on the judging panel leaves me no choice but to abstain from this exercise in futility.

I'm sure glad any Christian offerings will be handled in such a fair manner. (/sarcasm off) Bible quotes are usually included in sermons to illustrate the message of the sermon. In fact, sermons are usually religious in ...[text shortened]... ents by yo it's me in here to ascertain if he/she is Christian or not. If so, my apologies.)
Good point.
Still I have a general knowledge of christianity and feel I would be fair on the sermons, christian or otherwise.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Sep 11

Originally posted by Suzianne

I'm sure glad any Christian offerings will be handled in such a fair manner. (/sarcasm off) Bible quotes are usually included in sermons to illustrate the message of the sermon. In fact, sermons are usually religious in ...[text shortened]... ents by yo it's me in here to ascertain if he/she is Christian or not. If so, my apologies.)
Give it a rest. I'm not one of the judges. I'm sure they'll give your entry all the attention it deserves (assuming this ever gets off the ground). And I won't be giving an "atheist" sermon. I'll be giving a Christian sermon, although I'm sure my interpretations won't jive with the likes of RJHinds.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Sep 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Good point.
Still I have a general knowledge of christianity and feel I would be fair on the sermons, christian or otherwise.
Ok, so you have a "general" knowledge of Christianity?

Do you have a personal knowledge of Christianity? If not, indeed, if no one on the panel does, then it's all futile, as I said. It just becomes a laugh-fest, at the expense of the Christians.