Russia: Witnesses a terrorist group

Russia: Witnesses a terrorist group

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 Mar 17
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
I consider the Jehovah's Witness teachings to be extreme, yes. Are they extreme compared to ISIS? No of course not. It's all relative.

But they are "extreme" when one considers a handful of their beliefs in light of general mainstream Christian teaching and the outputs/effect of those teachings, and some of their behaviours; for examples of extreme ...[text shortened]... rong Orthodox leaning and Putin at the helm...then they are likely to experience some blow-back.
I guess refusing blood transfusions is a bit extreme, and just in general to have just black or white ideas about basic theology is also extreme. But their ideas about theology aren't that much different to other Christian groups. What I'm saying is for the ones that accept those concessions, they seem pretty mild.
It's even highlighted by their refusing to join the army. Very in-extreme, very timid in general.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 Mar 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Hiding what for example? Bible tracts with pandas on the front?
I don't know, you tell me ....
Tell me it's nothing and I'll believe you. Probably.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 Mar 17

I have no doubt that the Russian Orthodox Church and their rich and powerful patrons are behind this latest attempt to have the brothers banned and their assets liquidated and their activities made illegal.. We have had this argument before about what constitutes a political action and its not really that relevant here. We are facing a kind of existential threat. No legal status and no rights to practice our religion.
Do you think it's partly because you depict various races co-existing together on the front of your literature? I'm thinking Russia has a fairly strong racist element amongst the ruling party and amongst many of it's people.

Moves
30 Mar 17
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I guess refusing blood transfusions is a bit extreme, and just in general to have just black or white ideas about basic theology is also extreme. But their ideas about theology aren't that much different to other Christian groups. What I'm saying is for the ones that accept those concessions, they seem pretty mild.
It's even highlighted by their refusing to join the army. Very in-extreme, very timid in general.
I think what the Russians are calling extremism are the tenets and practices that they think would make the JW faithful give allegiance to the religion instead of to the state, if the religion were tolerated, not to mention if it were protected by the state. The favored religion, Russian Orthodoxy, knows better than to do this.

Moves
30 Mar 17

Yes we have fought and won around eighteen cases in The Supreme Court of the United States of America, many of which has set legal precedents. Paul whenever he could sought to 'legally establish the good news'.

It is only right for me to think this regarding all of you, since I have you in my heart, you who are sharers with me in the undeserved k ...[text shortened]... on bonds and in the defending and legally establishing of the good news. - Philippians 1:7 - NWT
Basically, if you aren't being persecuted, you aren't doing it right.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Mar 17

Originally posted by JS357
They've been wearing this supposed mantle of 'persecution' as if it demonstrates their 'righteousness' for decades now. It's as ridiculous as their made-up dogma.

F

Moves
31 Mar 17

Originally posted by Suzianne
They've been wearing this supposed mantle of 'persecution' as if it demonstrates their 'righteousness' for decades now. It's as ridiculous as their made-up dogma.
Would you describe what is being done to JWs in Russia as persecution?

rc

Moves
31 Mar 17

I wouldn't claim that, we would rather not have persecution if you don't mind. πŸ™‚

rc

Moves
31 Mar 17
1 edit

Do you think it's partly because you depict various races co-existing together on the front of your literature? I'm thinking Russia has a fairly strong racist element amongst the ruling party and amongst many of it's people.
No I suspect that its simply because of the Russian Orthodox church and its rich and powerful backers.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
31 Mar 17

There are reported incidents where the state has had to intervene in medical cases where the JW parents were prepared to let their child die rather permit a blood transfusion. This is effectively child sacrifice; that's pretty extreme don't you agree?

I reported on one such incident in this forum a couple of years ago. None of the JWs here condemned the parents for intending to let their child die.

Moves
31 Mar 17

I wouldn't claim that, we would rather not have persecution if you don't mind. πŸ™‚
Apparently the persecuted would rather put up with the persecution than stop being/doing what triggers it.

This is not a criticism.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
31 Mar 17

And yet you love it so much πŸ˜‰

rc

Moves
31 Mar 17
3 edits

Apparently the persecuted would rather put up with the persecution than stop being/doing what triggers it.

This is not a criticism.
Yes its rather quite interesting.

With that they called them and ordered them not to say anything at all or to teach on the basis of the name of Jesus. But in reply Peter and John said to them: “Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, judge for yourselves. But as for us, we cannot stop speaking about the things we have seen and heard.” So after they had threatened them further, they released them, since they did not find any grounds for punishing them and on account of the people, because they were all glorifying God over what had happened. - Acts 4:18-22

Two things are apparent, subjection to rulers is relative and being a Christian can be fraught with danger. πŸ™‚

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Apr 17

Yes its rather quite interesting.

With that they called them and ordered them not to say anything at all or to teach on the basis of the name of Jesus. But in reply Peter and John said to them: “Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, judge for yourselves. But as for us, we cannot stop speaking about the th ...[text shortened]... apparent, subjection to rulers is relative and being a Christian can be fraught with danger. πŸ™‚
Herin lies insight into your difficulties. You keep saying you are Christians as though somehow it makes it so. I am a Christian, you are a Jehovah's Witnesss. We believe fundamentally different things about god. What you believe about god is miles away from maninstream Christianity. You are NOT Christians.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
01 Apr 17

[b]The Russian Justice Ministry is moving to label Jehovah's Witnesses as terrorists and ban their worship, sparking a global letter- writing campaign appealing to Kremlin and Supreme Court officials for relief.
Some 8,000 Jehovah's Witnesses in Trinidad and Tobago are being encouraged to write letters to Russia.
The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses is inviting the over eight million Witnesses worldwide to participate.
Russia has been ruled by tyrants for a very long time. This must be the preferred type of government for them.
Do you really think that a few million letters can change anything there ??
Tsars, commisars, and putinists . Things don't change, people just change places in Russia.